Heal well.

2008-06-23 1:20 PM
in reply to: #1480240

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Got hit by a car today
Thanks again for all the well-wishes! 

My head has just been reeling the last couple of days.  I just can't reconcile the complete and total distrution to my bike and my lack of serious injury.  My left leg is a little stiff today but I've been more sore following hard workouts than I am right now.  This may sound strange but I almost feel guilty that I was not more seriously injurred. 

I always thought that if I got hit, it would be from behind....by some DUI and not like this.  I'm hoping I've not lost my nerve.  I'm axious to 'get back on my horse' but right now I need to buy a new horse!

~Mike

2008-06-23 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Glad to hear you are OK - hope the healing goes well and that you get a fantastic new ride.
2008-06-23 1:30 PM

Veteran
Rog, glad you are okay. I saw this last night, but I couldn't function well enough last night to post a logical response.

Kara
2008-06-23 3:30 PM
in reply to: #1483734

Rogillio - 2008-06-23 2:20 PM Thanks again for all the well-wishes! 

I'm hoping I've not lost my nerve.  I'm axious to 'get back on my horse' but right now I need to buy a new horse!

~Mike

Again, your comments are freakishly like what I remember my wife dealing with.  Based off our experience, I'd say don't be surprised or bothered if you are a little skittish at first.  When my wife finally was able to ride again, I went out for her first post-accident ride with her.  Her natural reaction was to be so concerned that every car was going to run their stop sign that she was over-reacting.  She'd brake as she approached intersections, swerved in odd ways in reaction to where a car was, etc.  I finally had to stop her and tell her that her riding was so unpredictable and squirelly that she was confusing the drivers.  Someone was going to pull out again, because they thought she had committed to turning or stopping.  She HTFU (that's the phrase here, right?) and got over the fear.  She was fine after that.

Though I will say, while she doesn't ride much anymore (kid's got in the way), she goes out and rides every anniversary of her accident.  Gives her back a feeling of control over that day on the calendar.

And don't feel guilty about not being hurt worse.  Feel blessed.

Richard

2008-06-23 3:55 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

I am sending my speedy healing powers your way....I am so glad to hear that for the most part, you are ok...sorry about the Felt!

Here's to mending up so you will kick butt in 'ville in August.

2008-06-23 5:41 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Hope you get better soon. Remember as long as you get to finish IMKY you will not be last since I will be last. .
2008-06-23 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1484554

User image

Champion
Alabama

chirunner134 - 2008-06-23 5:41 PM Hope you get better soon. Remember as long as you get to finish IMKY you will not be last since I will be last. .

We will both exceed our own expectations Todd!

2008-06-23 6:03 PM
in reply to: #1484575

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Rogillio - 2008-06-23 5:50 PM

chirunner134 - 2008-06-23 5:41 PM Hope you get better soon. Remember as long as you get to finish IMKY you will not be last since I will be last. .

We will both exceed our own expectations Todd!

Thanks. I been slowed down due to injury but I got a plan so hopely it will work.

Besides I have to finish. I have too many people to prove run. .

Plus I get to be told a secret if I finish.

Edited by chirunner134 2008-06-23 6:05 PM
2008-06-24 9:10 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-11 6:00 PM

Champion
Alabama

Just in update...

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since the accident.  Today the insurance gave me a check for my bike, helmet, computer etc.  Today I bought a new bike.  I spent 2 hrs in my LBS getting the bit outfit with computer, pedals, bottle cages, 12/27 cassette and getting it fit, everthing adjusted and checked over to make sure everything was torqued properly.

This morning I went to the doctor to have the big lump on my shin looked at.  He said it was a hemorage from where the muscle is torn from the bone or something fo the sort.  My hospitol bill is over 5 grand and then there is the ambulance, radiology and the ER physician.  My insurance is covering the medical bills and will be reimburses by the insurance compnay of the lady who hit me.  Evidently this is how the "uninsured motorists" coverage works.

I've done a modicum of running and swimming over the last 3 weeks but I've not been on a bike since the accident.

I'm doing an Oly distance tri Sunday in Chattanooga.  I had hope this would be a PR for me but now I'm just gonna use it as a training day and have some fun.  I will try to bike a few miles tomorrow to work out any bugs with the new bike.  I don't know how much biking strength I've lost in the last 3 weeks but I figure it was just and long taper.  :-)

Mentally I'm still kinda amazed that I was not killed or more seriously injurred.  I passed a cemetary the other day and was overwhelmed with a sense that, once again, I was spared death with unmerited favor.

Oh yeah, a week after the accident I noticed one of the abrasions on my knee was getting infected.  It had a very hard scab.  As I picked at it I realized the hard scab was actually a rock that was embedded under the skin.  I dug out a pea-sized peice of sharp gravel.  What amazes me is the ER docs didn't see this on the x-rays.  I showed the x-rays to the doctor today and he immediatly saw the rock on a couple of the prints.

~Mike

2008-07-11 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1524018

Expert
central Iowa
Rogillio - 2008-07-11 6:00 PM

Just in update...

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since the accident. Today the insurance gave me a check for my bike, helmet, computer etc. Today I bought a new bike. I spent 2 hrs in my LBS getting the bit outfit with computer, pedals, bottle cages, 12/27 cassette and getting it fit, everthing adjusted and checked over to make sure everything was torqued properly.

This morning I went to the doctor to have the big lump on my shin looked at. He said it was a hemorage from where the muscle is torn from the bone or something fo the sort. My hospitol bill is over 5 grand and then there is the ambulance, radiology and the ER physician. My insurance is covering the medical bills and will be reimburses by the insurance compnay of the lady who hit me. Evidently this is how the "uninsured motorists" coverage works.

I've done a modicum of running and swimming over the last 3 weeks but I've not been on a bike since the accident.

I'm doing an Oly distance tri Sunday in Chattanooga. I had hope this would be a PR for me but now I'm just gonna use it as a training day and have some fun. I will try to bike a few miles tomorrow to work out any bugs with the new bike. I don't know how much biking strength I've lost in the last 3 weeks but I figure it was just and long taper. :-)

Mentally I'm still kinda amazed that I was not killed or more seriously injurred. I passed a cemetary the other day and was overwhelmed with a sense that, once again, I was spared death with unmerited favor.

Oh yeah, a week after the accident I noticed one of the abrasions on my knee was getting infected. It had a very hard scab. As I picked at it I realized the hard scab was actually a rock that was embedded under the skin. I dug out a pea-sized peice of sharp gravel. What amazes me is the ER docs didn't see this on the x-rays. I showed the x-rays to the doctor today and he immediatly saw the rock on a couple of the prints.

~Mike

Glad to hear things are working out (USAA rocks)!  Make sure to post pictures of the new bike.  Have fun in your tri this weekend. 

2008-07-11 6:08 PM

Marysville, CA
I was not too active on these boards when this post was started so I could not give my condolences then but I will now.  I cannot believe that happened to you.  I get so scared sometimes because I ride against traffic and I am always worried someone is not going to see me.  I hope that you are able to do well in your Oly on Sunday.  It is nice to hear that your bike and all that were replaced by your insurance, you always pay for it but never really need it until an unfortunate accident like this.  I hope that things work out well for you and that you are able to get back to training full-time again after this tri.
2008-07-11 6:14 PM
in reply to: #1524018

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Glad to hear that your insurance company is taking care of you.  What did you get as a replacement?

As far as your leg, is this something that will heal on it's own?   A torn muscle is a little scary.

Hope the ride tomorrow goes well and you have fun during the tri. 

2008-07-11 6:28 PM

Pro
Husker Nation
Crap just saw the date on this one. Who's the goose?

Edited by Bripod 2008-07-11 6:38 PM
2008-07-11 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1524030

Champion
Alabama

mbrennan85 - 2008-07-11 6:08 PM I was not too active on these boards when this post was started so I could not give my condolences then but I will now.  I cannot believe that happened to you.  I get so scared sometimes because I ride against traffic and I am always worried someone is not going to see me.  I hope that you are able to do well in your Oly on Sunday.  It is nice to hear that your bike and all that were replaced by your insurance, you always pay for it but never really need it until an unfortunate accident like this.  I hope that things work out well for you and that you are able to get back to training full-time again after this tri.

You should never ride against traffic.  If you are going 20 mph and the aproaching car is going 40 mph, that would be a 60 mph impact.  If you are going with the traffic at the same speeds, it would be a 20 mph impact.  And the force is proportional to the square of the velocity so it's way more than just 3x the impact.

It was her insurance that covered my bike.  My insurance (USAA, and yes, they rock) is covering the medical bill until her insurance settles up.

I got the exact bike that I had gotten 4 weeks prior to the accident - a Felt B12.  I posted pictures of then so I don't see much sense in posting more pix of the same bike.

~Mike

2008-07-11 8:09 PM
in reply to: #1524142

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
Glad you have moved on from your hit, the tread brought back memories of my hit and run last year - the questions of "what could I have done different?", dealing with police, etc. I certainly came out of it better than you, my wife looked at my bike for weeks and it made her cry - I'll be pulling for you in August. Walking away from that experience and getting "back in the saddle" is an accomplishment in itself!
2008-07-11 9:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

Mate you are really lucky you didn't get killed!!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery and that you make the Ironman start line Smile

2008-07-12 3:05 AM

Littleton, CO
Mike,

Gald your recovery is progressing well. It's awsome that you'll be racing so soon.

Where are you in Alabama? My MIL is in Mobile - she's big into tri's.

Tim
2008-07-12 7:40 AM
in reply to: #1524375

New user

otter68 - 2008-07-12 5:05 PM Mike, Gald your recovery is progressing well. It's awsome that you'll be racing so soon. Where are you in Alabama? My MIL is in Mobile - she's big into tri's. Tim

Same here, I grew up in Alabama, I'm curious of where this happened.  I lost my brand new bike in a head-on with another cyclist a month back, so I feel your bike pain. 

2008-07-12 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1524474

Master
Dothan, Al
Glad to see your recoverying well. I to deal with "Alabama Drivers" and it scares me badly. I hope you continue to heal quickly.

2008-07-12 2:41 PM

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt. The pickup truck that hit me took off, but turned himself in two days later as a manhunt continued. You're doing the right thing documenting everything. Keep a record.

Your insurance "should" pick up where hers leaves off, if she is underinsured. It's all a giant racket, but you should get paid for the bike, the helmet, the gear, the hospital and the damage to your person. I've been through the long and the short of it, but came out on top.

Feel free to drop me a PM if there is anything I can do.

Heal fast, rest lots, listen to your body and don't feel guilty--God was looking out for you even when the driver wasn't...

2008-07-13 5:45 PM

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that you are okay.  It was weird reading your story because it was a little similar to mine.  I have (had) a Felt F4.  I only had it for two months before I got hit.  The guy was at a stop sign and I had the right of way.  My bf rode pass him, but for whatever reason, as soon as I got up to his front left fender, he proceeded to take off and hit me.  It cracked my bike in three places...totaled.  (I cried like a baby.  And not because I was terribly hurt.  It was my first bike and I loved it!)  Thankfully, he was at a stop sign and not running it like in your case so the impact was minimal.  Still enough to scare me to the point of not feeling comfortable riding on streets anymore.  This happened on Memorial weekend and I'm still fighting him on replacing my bike.  Well, I hope you are up and riding again.  It will take awhile to get comfortable riding while approaching stop signs.  It has for me anyway.  But I make sure they make eye contact with me unless the windows are tinted black, then I just slow way down (sucks on down hills before an uphill ).  Take care!
2008-07-13 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1524142

Mountain View, CA
Rogillio - 2008-07-11 5:47 PM

mbrennan85 - 2008-07-11 6:08 PM I was not too active on these boards when this post was started so I could not give my condolences then but I will now.  I cannot believe that happened to you.  I get so scared sometimes because I ride against traffic and I am always worried someone is not going to see me.  I hope that you are able to do well in your Oly on Sunday.  It is nice to hear that your bike and all that were replaced by your insurance, you always pay for it but never really need it until an unfortunate accident like this.  I hope that things work out well for you and that you are able to get back to training full-time again after this tri.

You should never ride against traffic.  If you are going 20 mph and the aproaching car is going 40 mph, that would be a 60 mph impact.  If you are going with the traffic at the same speeds, it would be a 20 mph impact.  And the force is proportional to the square of the velocity so it's way more than just 3x the impact.

It was her insurance that covered my bike.  My insurance (USAA, and yes, they rock) is covering the medical bill until her insurance settles up.

I got the exact bike that I had gotten 4 weeks prior to the accident - a Felt B12.  I posted pictures of then so I don't see much sense in posting more pix of the same bike.

~Mike

From a fellow USAA member, they really do rock--glad to know they rock in this case, too! 

Most of all, though, glad you're healing up okay!
2008-07-13 8:00 PM

Master
Canandaigua
Sorry this happened.  Man you are lucky to come out with nothing fractured.  Someone sitting on your shoulder.  Get well soon
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got hit by a car today Rss Feed  

of 6