General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Philadelphia Triathlon, LLC
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 21s
Overall Rank = 198/1083
Age Group = 15-19
Age Group Rank = 10/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0400. Had a half of a bagel and had some water. Got to the race around 0630 and walked down to the transition. You had to park your cars about ten minutes away, so it was a nice little downhill walk from there.
Event warmup:

Got body marked before entering transition and waited for my swim wave to go off. I was the 8th wave, almost 50 minutes after the race started, so I had time to kill. I mainly just tried to stay out of the sun and keep cool.
Swim
  • 19m 49s
  • 984 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt pretty confident when I waded into the water and waited for the start. I seeded myself in the middle with a direct line to the first couple of buoys to avoid the contact with other racers.

The horn went off I just settled into a zone. I wasn’t worrying about my speed, just my technique. Every ten strokes or so I would try and sight, but the sun was in my eyes, so a lot of times I wouldn’t get a good view of the next buoy. I ended up swimming out of line for most of the race. There was a huge pack of swimmers and then me out the to side all by myself!

I stayed comfortable the whole race and that could have been my problem. I have consistently swam faster than this in any of my swim sessions. There were two main things I can take from this race: 1) seed myself with the pack so I won’t get too far off track and swim an extra 100 yards 2) push it harder! My heart rate was a joke coming out of the water. You would have thought I just woke up and hopped out of bed! Lesson learned.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. Push myself harder in the middle.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

I hustled out of the water and ran to my rack. This is the biggest transition I have ever raced at, so I made sure to be precise in everything I did. I put my shoes and helmet on and ran off.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 48m 55s
  • 15.75 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I had an awesome bike ride today! The course was very fast and flat with the exception of one hill. It was a two loop course so I encountered this hill twice.

It was the hill right after Strawberry Mansion Bridge. It was a pretty steep incline that I could have dealt with really well normally, but there is a steady climb before the high grade hill. You would ride into this giant hill with no momentum or speed. I just stuck in my saddle and powered up the hill. On my first loop I passed over 20 people on the hill, and I passed about 5 on the second loop.

The rest of the ride was fairly flat. I found a gear that felt comfortable and hammered at 20 MPH for most the ride. There were occasional rolling hills that would force me to change gears, but nothing crazy.

As I mentioned before I started 50 minutes after everyone, so this course was mine for the taking. I just sat on the left of the course and picked off rider after rider. I must have passed over 200 or 300 riders throughout the course. I was only passed a handful of times, so it was a real confidence boost heading into the run to be passing so many people.

There is a downhill right before the transition that I was able to get up to 32 MPH and pass a couple more riders before slowing down to dismount.

Nothing – I felt like I rode really well and made no mistakes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

The second I got off the bike my stomach started to feel really weird. I thought I was going to puke right then and there. I *gingerly* walked to my rack and got the bike on the rack. I took a couple of deep breaths and prepared myself for the run. I knew something wasn’t right.

Jog my bike to the rack? My stomach didn’t feel well though so I didn’t want to aggravate it anymore by running through transition.
Run
  • 25m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I jogged out on a patch of grass for the first portion of the run. I took three waters and dumped them on my head to try and keep me cool. I didn’t feel so good though.

I was running at a 7:30 pace it felt like for the first half mile, but started to develop a cramp. I can handle pain, but this cramp spread across my stomach and started hurting me on both sides. Every step I took was like getting punched twice in the gut. I had a to walk.

I walked for about 30 seconds and was forced to abandon my goal time of 22:xx. I wanted to run the rest of the race and have fun so I kept it going at a slow pace. I ran with one woman for about five minutes before getting some energy and speeding up. I was able to really pick it up and finish strong, but that is all I could give.

I had energy left in my legs, but my stomach was acting really crazy. I was burping a lot and the cramps hurt a lot. I did manage to have some fun though. Running and talking to the other racers really helped get rid of my negative thoughts.

I don’t think I could have done anything differently. Maybe my nutrition was the issue, but I couldn’t push it because of my stomach. If that weren’t an issue I am almost certain I would have broken 23 in the run at the very least.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran through the finish and got my finisher’s medal and some water. As expected, my stomach rejected whatever I ate in the morning and before the race. It was mostly stomach acid so maybe my problem was that I didn’t eat enough before the race. I really just enjoyed the scene there. I may not race at this big of a race for a while so I watched other finishers and caught up with some family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor sighting on the swim and cramping on the run. Poor nutrition I suppose, too.

Event comments:

I didn't do as well as I had expected, but this race was amazing. The expo was huge and the race director really knew what he was doing. The volunteers were incredible and I tried to thank as many as I could. It's worth a trip for any east coasters looking for a race next spring!

Last updated: 2008-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:49 | 984 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/18
Overall: 334/1083
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:55 | 15.75 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 213/1083
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:18 | 03.11 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 263/1083
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-21 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park

2008-06-21 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1480459

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park
You have such a good attitude!! INCREDIBLE bike average!!!!!!! FLYIN"! Hope you're feeling better now.
2008-06-22 6:07 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

You are really tough on yourself.  You did great, finishing in better than the top 20% overall!!

Sorry to hear about your stomach issues.  I occasionally get really bad cramps on the bike if I have pushed really hard and my breathing is not even and posture is bad.  Not sure if that is the case with you.  It is no surprise you were not able to eat right afterwards.  Blood flow is diverted to your extremeties and away from your gut which makes it hard to digest food.  Happens to me everytime.

Rest up!!

2008-06-22 10:00 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You did  fantastic job out there!  Coming away with having learned lessons is the ticket to improving on the next one.

Wicked fast pace on the bike! 

2008-06-23 2:19 AM

User image

Melon Presser

So sorry about the cramps and stomach, but WOW! What an awesome race! Congratulations!

Great on the swim--much better to have a smooth, strong swim and feel like you could improve ('cause there's always another tri!) than to blow yourself out and feel weak on the bike and run, or have to hang on to the rack, panting, in transition.

Sssssssssssssmokin' bike!

Way to go to tough it through the run. You are a truly incredible athlete!

2008-06-23 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city

Good job Dave! Nice confident boost to overtake that many people on the bike!

As for sighting goes, maybe you should try at each 6 strokes, it would help I think. 

2008-06-26 5:47 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Bummer about the stomach.  What did you take in during the race?  Anyway, looks like a solid performance.  You can redeem yourself next weekend.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park Rss Feed