United States
Firm Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

let's see. at 9:30 the night before I went outside with the dog to find a drunk passed out on my front steps. after the police rousted him, I tried to sleep, but since AdCo was very sick, I didn't exactly sleep well. So I got about 5 hours of sleep, and not very good sleep. Woke up nauseous (pre-race nerves) and very tired. Drove to race, AdCo dropped me off at transition and went to the ER of the hospital near the race site. I waited for registration to be set up, got my packet, set up transition... and waited. hit the potty line before it got long, and just stood around and worried about AdCo. Decided that I was throwing all of my goals for this race out the window, except for the primary goals (don't die, don't visit the med tent, finish). Ate two plain bagels and drank some water between 5 and 8.
Event warmup:

AdCo came back from the ER (he'll be fine, but feels like crap), so I hung out with him by the beach for a while, then swam a little bit.
Swim
  • 15m 8s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

had goggle issues in the first 200, as always. got that fixed, had a good swim from there. got kicked in the ribs a few times, but nothing major. swam with my inhaler this time, but I luckily didn't need it.
What would you do differently?:

was my first OWS of the year, but I don't think that affected me too greatly.
Transition 1
  • 06m 4s
Comments:

looooonnnnng run up to transition. which I jogged, as running in bare feet is NOT a good thing for me (have foot issues). saw a woman who had left older running shoes down by the water, might try that next time. certainly not going to try to run in wet flipflops (which doesn't fix foot issue anyway). AdCo made great (and funny) signs for me since he couldn't yell... that ROCKED.

possibly the running shoes thing. possibly not. next race on this course is danskin, which is a ZOO.
Bike
  • 47m 24s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.19 mile/hr
Comments:

wish I had gotten down there this year to pre-ride the course, as I know from experience that I do much better on the big hill once I've ridden it at least once. but I did remember the course pretty well from my last ride of it two years ago. almost took a digger on the first part of the hill when I failed shifting (middle to big ring is NOT the same as middle to granny gear. whoops). after the hill, really had a great ride. topped out around 38 on one of the downhills. :) a rather fit looking guy tried to pass me on the last third of the course, so I focused on holding him off. managed to, and he cracked up about it (called me his rabbit), but of course he smoked me on the run.

preride. lose weight so gravity doesn't hate me on the ups.
Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

in, out. same old same old. noticed that my calf that had been slightly cramped since my long run thursday was now really cramped.

need to work on running faster IN transition. (also out of transition) since I walked every transition my first year, I'm not killing myself about this - it will come as I get in better shape.
Run
  • 34m 8s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

had to stop and stretch out cramps w/in the first 200 yards or so. AdCo has a lovely picture of this. ended up walking/running the whole thing, tried to only walk the uphills (when the cramping was worse). also really felt the fatigue from thursday's run. mentally practiced running while tired and miserable.

nothing. try to run more/walk less. but with how my legs felt, that's about all I had in me.
Post race
Warm down:

handed in chip, grabbed water and a pretzel rod, talked to the race management staff about deferring AdCo's entry to another FIRM race. Hauled my stuff to the truck, drank my chocolate milk. went to CVS to fill AdCo's prescription, drove home, took traditional post race nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

run on thursday, total lack of training in the last few weeks (life is a little nuts right now), general fat-ass-ness.

Event comments:

currently cranky as my results on line have my swim at 24 minutes... which would be correct if I had started with the first wave. if they ever fix it, I'll update with my placement. not sure if it's just me, or everybody.

oh, and the winner HAULED... finished around 56 minutes. yikes!

Last updated: 2008-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:08 | 880 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: counter clockwise - straight out, straight across, back at an angle. very odd.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:24 | 12 miles | 15.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: big hill at mile 4, rollers the rest of the way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal