General Discussion Race Reports! » Scotiabank Vancouver Half-marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scotiabank Vancouver Half-marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada
Canada Running Series
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 32s
Overall Rank = 63/3583
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/94
Pre-race routine:

So this is my FIRST HALF MARATHON!

I was super excited about the race all week, and just could NOT wait to run it!!!! My biggest relief was that I didn't have to worry about my bike dying on me without tech support (see Oliver RR)!

Regardless, I spent the whole weekend with Carolyn, did a short 30 min. ez run on Friday, took Saturday off (even though i wanted to train through it). I was super psyched to out perform my expectations!

Woke up at 5:30 a.m., had a bowl of granola + vanilla yogurt, 2 pieces of toast with PB and J and a bottle of Accelerade! Me and Carolyn walked to the race site (at UBC :D :D) at about 6:20 just to make sure I had enough time to hit the porta-potties once the inevitable rush came!
Event warmup:

Jogged around a little! I've never been big on warming up!
Run
  • 1h 26m 32s
  • 21.08 kms
  • 04m 06s  min/km
Comments:

So, got out front of Irving K. Barber library into the gong-show which was the starting chute. Looked around to see if I recognized anyone, but no dice!

Managed to squeek my way to the MOP luckily! The horn went off and it was time to go! There was a 17 second discrepancy between my Gun time and Chip time, so I was pretty happy with how far up I got.

So, now the race! The first 2 km literally flew by (see splits in the addtl lap and HR data box). At km 3 I saw 3 Kenyans in a group that were about 30m ahead of the next few guys. Bloody hell they are fast! I felt great until about km 8, as the kilometres were literally flying by, until I started feeling a little crampy. There were water stations every 3km, but I had only gotten water until that point. At the 9km water station I grabbed gatorade and my cramp went away almost immediately.

From there on, it was a gorgeous and smooth run to about the 15km mark, where I felt like I was totally fading, so I grabbed my Power gel from my shorts and downed it with some water at the 15km aid station. YUM, I friggen love caffeinated things. My energy just bounced back and I felt like racing again!

THis is where I started passing guys who passed me at about the 7-9 km mark when I was recovering from my electrolyte deficiency/cramps. I wished them Good race as I went by and a quick smile nod between gasps for air :P. So we get to the Burrard street bridge and this one guy I had been back and forth with all race ran beside me and started pushing me ("cmon we can catch this guy, keep it going etc."). It was awesome!!! I was super stoked he was there since I do sometimes need that sort of talk. We caught one, then 2 guys and tried to catch this one super fast woman, but couldn't. Then I needed to stop for water at the last aid station just shy of km 20, but he didn't so he pulled ahead.

At km 21 there was a timing mat, which many people thought was the finish so they stopped, but it really meant there was still 100m left. I booked it like hell for that last 100m passing 2 people who were kinda cruising. I just wanted to pretend I still had energy left, when in reality, I WAS HURTING LIKE NEVER BEFORE!

Seriously, an amazing experience!! Not to mention UNEXPECTEDLY coming in 2nd in my AG, which earned me a prize from New Balance. Me and Carolyn left before awards since I thought I didnt come top 3. I was definitely SUPER happy to see I was wrong when results came out online :D :D :D

What would you do differently?:

Not get water at the last aid station :P

Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Carolyn! Ate a FULL SIZE banana, then went down to English Bay so I could semi-ice-bath myself! Felt SO good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing that I know of!
I can always go faster though, so that = more training!!!

Event comments:

Loved the race and the organization of it!! Very cleanly pulled off!

It was a lot of downhill on the course, and I HATE downhill, but I guess it's faster! I definitely prefer uphill!

I think Steve King was announcing? Anyone else know anything about this?
Regardless if it was him or not, he was awesome!

Last updated: 2008-06-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:32 | 21.08 kms | 04m 06s  min/km
Age Group: 2/94
Overall: 63/3583
Performance: Good
Km time & HR 1: 3:56 (163) 2: 3:33 (177) 3: 4:02 (169) 4: 4:29 (175) 5: 4:05 (172) 6/7: 8:17 (166) 8: 4:08 (174) 9: 3:59 (174) 10: 3:51 (171) 11: 4:10 (165) 12: 4:09 (146(??? HR monitor went super weird here)) 13: 4:13 (135(??? Again, super weird)) 14: 4:22 (150 (still wasn't working properly, but I stopped looking at this point :P)) 15: 4:12 (160) 16: 4:06 (163) 17: 4:15 (174) 18/19: 8:32 (187) 20/21(.1): 8:07 (190) Sometimes I forgot to hit the lap button as I was concentrating on form and breathing!
Course: From UBC --> Northwest Marine (turn around) --> Back into UBC via West Mall --> Down Spanish Banks hill --> Oceanside till Burrard Street bridge --> Over the bridge --> Oceanside until Stanley park!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-22 5:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: Scotiabank Vancouver Half-marathon

2008-07-11 1:42 AM
in reply to: #1481638

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: RE: Scotiabank Vancouver Half-marathon
http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=32059&BIB=3625...

Pictures from the event!
Boy do I look TERRIBLE! Usually I try and smile at the camera but there was NO effort to smile here :P
2008-07-11 9:03 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Subject: RE: Scotiabank Vancouver Half-marathon
Great job Derek! From the pics (and the report) it definitely sounds like you left it all out on the road! Very impressive for your first ever half! You should be walking around very proud!!
2008-07-12 11:06 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scotiabank Vancouver Half-marathon Rss Feed