Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:00 with my son. Had an egg & bagel.
Event warmup:

Run to the woods to pee since there were only two porta-johns...I was not alone.
Run
  • 1h 34m 51s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, my race was going really well. I was ahead of a few people I am usually behind and was feeling good. My strategy was to take it easy on the uphills and go as fast as I could on the down-hills. It was working pretty well. There was risk of turning an ankle so I was really concentrating on where I stepped. Apparently this was my downfall as somewhere a rather large group of us missed a turn. There were people strung out in-front and behind me as far as I could see, but at about 1hr 5 minutes I realized that we were still pretty far from being back to the finish and I didn't see any trail markings anymore. I continued to follow the group as I new we were heading in a direction that would get us back eventually. Turns out our wrong turn ended up adding about 2 miles to the race for at least 12 of us. Based on the 5-minute gap between finishers in the official race results, if I had been watching where I was going I would have ended up in the 1:18 to 1:23 area somewhere around 30-35 out of about 145 (not sure how many of us "extra-long course" people had times posted). Either way it was good fun and I passed more people in the last 2 miles than I did the previous 9.
What would you do differently?:

Watch where I'm going and not get lost.
Post race
Warm down:

None

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and orienteering skills.

Event comments:

Fun race in a beautiful location. I'll be back next year. At least I should be able to improve my time.

Last updated: 2008-06-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:34:51 | 11.2 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
The distance is more than 15k due to the wrong turn. Distance is based on third-hand here say of another off-track person's gps.
Course: Beautiful course through the pine and aspen at the Flagstaff Nordic Center. Elevation was 8,000 feet+. Mostly single-track trails with 2 miles of unplanned highway running.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No