General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Naperville, Illinois
United States
US Women's Triathlon Series
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 7s
Overall Rank = 94/1920
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/207
Pre-race routine:

Set-up transition and then wait in line at the porta potties
While waiting for the race to begin, thunder was heard and then the rain came pouring down. The event was postponed for a 1/2 hour. OF course about 25 minutes into that 1/2 hour...more thunder. Another 1/2 hour. Race finally began at 8:00.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 11m 28s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was nervous. I wore my wetsuit as practice for future races. In the past, I had yet to feel comfortable while wearing it, was especially having trouble with the feeling of not being able to breath. This combined with my lack of skill in the swim arena and going out to fast created a phenomenon I like to call the "freak out".
I kept repeating the mantra "start out slow and easy, you can breath."
AND IT WORKED! I struggled a bit to find an opening. Had to jockey around people, but found myself pulling ahead of many of the pink caps in my wave.
I found a rhythm and despite going too far around the last buoy had a really good swim. When I glanced at my watch while running out I couldn't believe my time.
What would you do differently?:

Work on sighting. I lost some time going to far past the last buoy.
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

I actually removed my wetsuit while on the long run to T1. I had unzipped and pulled the suit off my arms while running up the beach. Once on the trail I pulled over and grabbed a pole to steady myself while getting my legs out. It come off without a problem and off I went. Due to the heavy rain everything was soaking wet. I haven't mastered the shoes already attached to the bike thing yet so I had to run in my bike shoes.

Work on getting out of the wet suit without holding on to something.
Also, skip the socks for the bike.
Bike
  • 42m 29s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 19.49 mile/hr
Comments:

At first I was breathing hard. I must have really been working in the swim. I slowed a little to regulate my breathing, then slowly began to increase speed. I found a comfortable pace. I was working, but not all out. I was afraid I would have nothing left on the run. I felt better on the second loop and was able to go bit faster. At this point I realized I hadn't had any water. Mistake. Time to drink. This is when I was cursing myself for not putting on the aero drink system that I bought and is still in the package.

Put on the aero drink bottle.
I still need to work not slowing as much on the turns etc., the whole technical aspect of riding.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Overshot my spot by at least 20 feet. So much for the bright pink bag as a good way to find my spot. Also, my shoes were on the opposite side that I was on so I had to lean way over to get them. They were still pretty wet from the rain.

Take note of what side I will be running in on and make sure shoes etc are positioned correctly.
Pay better attention while running in.
Run
  • 24m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Like the bike, I started out slower and gradually built up speed. Mile 1 came faster then I realized. I made sure to drink a little at each station in the beginning. I didn't stop at the last 3. By mile 2 I realized that if I wanted to make my goal time I'd better pick up the pace. That last 1.1 mile was killer. I was working. Mile 3 - sprint to the finish! Crossed the finish line but didn't hit my watch because I felt like I was going to pass out. Did I make my time? I knew it was close.

Start a bit stronger on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the food tables a few times then grabbed a water. Continued to walk for a while. Couldn't eat until until much later, just continued to drink, but felt better relatively fast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the only area I could have gone faster was on the bike.

Event comments:

The delayed start time was a factor that couldn't be helped. Can't argue with mother nature. I like this race. Well organized, friendly people.. a nice race to begin the season.
I am pleased with my performance, especially the swim. I actually knocked over 2 minutes off my swim time from last year. Overall I dropped 7 min and 43 sec from my last year's time. My goal was to finish under 1 hr 25 min and I did 1:25:07, pretty darn close.

Last updated: 2008-02-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:28 | 820 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/207
Overall: 0/1920
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: The "pool" is actually an old quarry. The swim was in in an "double M" shape. It became very shallow at the two bottom portions of the M. People actually were walking around the buoys. There is a sandy beach and then concrete leading into the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:29 | 13.8 miles | 19.49 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Double loop course around Naperville.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:49 | 03.11 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: 1 loop flat course though neighborhoods and then the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-22 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Subject: Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville Rss Feed