LifeSport
22C / 72F
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 34m 21s
Overall Rank = 391/496
Age Group = F4049
Age Group Rank = 27/41
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at the Howard Johnson near the race, so at 5:15am we checked out and headed to the race. At 4:45 I had half a blueberry bagel and a banana. Sipped on Gatorade.

When I was in line to get body marked I noticed a very fit looking and SKINNY woman behing me with her husband and very very young child. I asked her how she could have possibly gotten ready for this race in such a short time and she smiled and responded that she hadn't actually birthed the child... so I got to thiking about a blog I read on this website about a woman that was going to adopt so she wasn't sure if she was going to race this half ironman, and I said "that isn't you... is it??" She smiled and said it was! So I got to meet BusyGirl! Small World! :-)
Event warmup:

Swam a bit to get used to the chop.
Swim
  • 43m 4s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

I LOVED the swim. I was surprised that I wasn't closer to 40 minutes, but it was choppy and it seemed like there was never anyone around me, so maybe I didn't swim straight enough! ;) I tried to catch some toes, but either they didn't swim straight, or one girl ahead of me just stopped!
What would you do differently?:

Go faster! When I told my husband how much I loved the swim and was so happy he suggested that maybe I could have pushed it a bit harder... can't be too happy out there, huh?
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

I was way faster in transition than I expected! Yipee!

Went well. I was happy.
Bike
  • 3h 28m 1s
  • 87 kms
  • 25.09 km/hr
Comments:

This is where I definitely need the most work. On the first loop I got passed a lot (I ended up losing over 90 places). I had been struggling with my saddle of late, and today was no different (I thought I had it worked out, but NOT). By the end of the ride I could barely sit on my seat - forget about aero position. Still, I did manage to pass some people on the second loop (on hills no less) and overall I am happy as I was hoping for 3:30.

With more experience and weight loss this will improve.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Again, I felt this transition went pretty well.
Run
  • 2h 19m 29s
  • 20 kms
  • 06m 58s  min/km
Comments:

First 10k went awesome! I was feeling great and did it in 1:03. But after 10k my stomach was getting quite upset so I didn't take the third gel and was looking for some coke... but they were out! (no fair - slow people need coke too!!!) So I slugged through the second 10k walking and running - it took me 16 minutes longer to do the second 10k.

More experience, less weight, and hope they have coke left on the course. My goal was 2:20, and I met that, so I was happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Soaked legs in the lake - went for pasta at Boston Pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience, weight loss, experience...

Event comments:

I was thrilled with this race as my original goal had been to finish under 7 hours, and then after some training I had personally lowered it to 6:45 (I didn't tell my coach that though...). Before the weekend I had set my "out of my mind happy" time to 6:36, but didn't really believe that I could do that... :) :) :)

I am so excited about moving on to the full ironman distance... next year it's back to being the supportive wife so my hubby has a chance to train, but in 2010 - Ironman Canada - you're all mine!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:04 | 1900 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 323/496
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen
Course: Was a "rectangular" loop - 800m to first buoy, then it seemed only about 200m to the second, then almost back to the beach for the third before coming in to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 15C / 59F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:28:01 | 87 kms | 25.09 km/hr
Overall: 402/496
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops of a fairly hilly course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:19:29 | 20 kms | 06m 58s  min/km
Overall: 393/496
Performance: Below average
Course: Around the lake twice. Shaded and flat - beautiful run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-22 10:31 PM

User image

Subject: New Balance 1/2 Ironman

2008-06-23 1:08 AM
in reply to: #1482254

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Subject: RE: New Balance 1/2 Ironman

Great job.  I was a marshal out on the course and it seemed like perfect conditions for riding wasn't to hot.  But wow later on it must have been warm out in the open spots on the run.

Congrats again and Awesome Race 

2008-06-23 2:18 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Great job, I was at the race spectating and it was a great day to be out there. Way to meet and beat your goals on the run and the bike, good stuff.
2008-06-23 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow!! What a fantastic race you had!!! It was so great to meet you in line What a small world, huh? I always love meeting BC BT'rs! Awesome race report too
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Balance 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed