United States
Tri Fitness
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 39s
Overall Rank = 30/265
Age Group = M3034
Age Group Rank = 6/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30, had bagel and coffee, packed the rest of my stuff and was out by 5:00. I arrived at the race site just before 6 and got my number and set up my transition area and scoped out the swim start. It looked pretty nice.
Event warmup:

Stretched and swam a little. I had lots of time, which was unusual, and I was able to get loosened up nicely.
Swim
  • 25m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

I sprinted at the beginning to get with faster swimmers in hope of catching a good draft. The pack spread out pretty fast and after the first turnaround, I latched onto another swimmer. I followed on his feet until after the second turnaround when I noticed he was drifting off course a little bit, so I spotted another guy and sprinted to get into his draft. While drafting I felt like I was swimming too slow, but I know that if I got out of the draft I wouldn't go much faster, but I'd expend more energy, so I stayed put.
What would you do differently?:

Find a faster swimmer to draft off of. Looking at the results, I see that there was another pack a minute ahead. I'm sure that I could have hung with them if I had grabbed those feet. Maybe I should look around more at the swimmers when starting, but on the other hand if I'm sighting I'll swim slower and won't be able to keep up with the faster swimmers. This needs more experimentation.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

I still suck at T1. I really should practice.

Practice not being slow.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 40s
  • 21.08 miles
  • 20.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I had not scouted the course before the race and was surprised by the hillyness, especially at the beginning. I was alone for several miles in the middle of the ride until I was passed at mile 15. I made sure I kept that guy in sight for the rest of the bike. Towards the end I got distracted by a string hanging off my front brake while going up a hill and almost drifted into a curb, but managed clip out and to catch myself before falling over.

If I did not get passed I probably would not have ridden as hard. I should focus more and ride harder even when I don't see anyone around.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

The guy I was chasing did a nice flying dismount, so I figured I'd try that too. It went pretty well, but I came within a couple inches of taking out the pair of volunteers directing us to transition. Maybe that was why I forgot to take my Garmin off my bike and put it on my wrist.
Run
  • 41m 59s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm not used to running without my Garmin to tell me my pace and heart rate, so I did my best to pace myself. I was passed by a couple guys about a mile in and I tried to stick with them, but that didn't last long. The hills were tough and I just pushed the whole way through. I definitely faded in the last couple miles.
Post race
Warm down:

I ate some watermelon, stretched a bit and took a dip in the river. Packed up my stuff and had a burger, checked out the results and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Less than optimal choice of swim drafting, lack of focus on the bike and poor pacing on the run.

Event comments:

The new Shelton site is nice and the race was executed well. The shortened bike course was annoying since I'd like to have the standard distance to compare my time to. Aside from that, the race venue was a good one and it was a challenging course.

Last updated: 2008-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:33 | 1500 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/23
Overall: 38/265
Performance: Average
Suit: Bluseventy Reaction
Course: We started in the water and swam down the river, around two bouys, back up the river, around two more bouys and back to the start. There was no current as far as I could tell.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 33F / 1C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:40 | 21.08 miles | 20.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 40/265
Performance: Good
1 19:36 15.4mph 176bpm 87rpm 2 13:31 22.2mph 161bpm 96rpm 3 12:52 23.3mph 166bpm 97rpm 4 14:09 21.2mph 162bpm 97rpm 5 02:55 22.3mph 154bpm 93rpm
Wind: None
Course: Straight uphill for the first two miles and more ups and downs after that. The course was uncomplicated with few turns - a big difference from the previous year's course. Because of storms the previous day and debris on the road, they changed the course, which was why it was a few miles short.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:59 | 06.2 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 46/265
Performance: Average
Don't know. Forgot to take my Garmin off the bike.
Course: An out and back and out and back again that went up and down a couple hills. The start was through the park over some rough and uneven ground which was painful. With the three turnarounds it was easy to keep tabs on who was behind you.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes