General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 37m 51s
Overall Rank = 178/431
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 9/23
Pre-race routine:

Registered 11/10/07

Details will come later - need to check Garmin cause bike and T2 were combined
Event warmup:

1 week later and I FINALLY get to it . . .

Woke up and left EL with djdavey about 4:30 - mutri and family in tow. Had everything packed the nite before so just rolled out of bed and had the traditional PopTart and Pickle Juice. I was having night cramps all week so I thought extra would be good. I also had a litlle irritating headache that was not going away. dave gave me some aleve on the road which seemed to help a bit.

We arrived and parked in a good spot. Set up transition and off to the traditional Poo Break - Women's room just like last year, it was there or in my shorts at this point. I wanted to toss in a quick warmup swim - spent too much time dinking around, but #88 was ready to go, so down to the beach.

The really funny monent is when firstnet911, mutri, amyjotris and I are staring at the swim course and - "That's It?!?!?" We all had 70.3 brands with longer swims. HiCliff is known for a shorter swim, but we also did really long swims at our other events

Swim
  • 33m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

After a gel (15 min before and my Torch preburn) I was ready - 3 . . 2 . . 1. . GO! I power walked thru the water, so as not to jump the heart rate. I walked most the way to the corner and swam a little, then up again and to the corner. TIME TO swim the rest. I focused on my pull and tried to stay on the inside of the swim. After Florida, I concluded I should not worry about others too much and stay close to buoys.

I did really well and was within 10' of each buoy to the first turn - where we went to the right of the buoy cause some wayward canoe was in the way. Made the turn and kept inside the whole time. waves were starting to have an effect because we were headed toward the center of the lake, but I avoided swallowing the pea green soup. I did find some ankles to hitch onto for a while - man I always forget how that makes life easier.

Then the turn to the long leg. this was a tuffer stretch. The waves were hitting me in the face and I took a lil water on 2x but not bad. My real problem was I was actually swimming to the left more - yes this was into the waves and away from the buoys. I have no clue why but was. So I focused on staying buoy to buoy and stayed tight. It went well after I focused more on the task. I started a few stronger pull sprints which took me to the last turn.

Again, the football post analogy from Andy last year paid off. I easily sighted the finish and the waves carried me in like a bullet. Only problem was teh few swimmers zig zagging all over. I just barrelled forward, and unfortunately drilled someone - SORRY! but there are noreal rules on the open seas
What would you do differently?:

Good Swim - could have done direction better on the long stretch, but waves can move your around a bit. Overall very good - cause I did PR
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Land Ho! I hit the ground ( stood up and the water was knee high) crossed the threshold and up the hill to the mat. I walked up that hill more this year, but my bike was close and got things going well. This time I had more things set for the Bike and no reall problems getting out.

Maybe try to go a bit faster but it went real well
Bike
  • 2h 44m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.41 mile/hr
Comments:

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started out on the bike, ran up to the mount, hopped on the bike and actually got my feet into the shoes with NO PROBLEMS like last year. It was awesome. I learned the secret - SOCKS SLIDE. So I hit the hill and consistently pushed up the hill without blowing the HR. The cliff is tuff, but maneagable. Seemed aloteasier this year than last. Once at the top, I let the HR drop a bit - in the 160's. Once ready I had a gola of staying in low 140's for most of the ride, then hitting it later.

It actually worked. I kept the HR in a strong but comfortable level. in the 130's for the first part of the ride. It felt great and to my surprise I was averaging around 21.5 mph for the first long stretch. WOW, this is going to be great I will have more to give later - but I did realize that this was down wind and the course does turn. So I kept it going at this level and speed until I turned.

At that turn I could feel the difference. I had to work harde, but since we were into the ride over 20 miles it was easier to start to pick it up. I had a few out of the saddle experiences just to stretch the back and switch positions. So I just tried to maintain it around 21 mph without dropping too far. But it kept creeping down. That's okay, the goal is to not EXPLODE on the bike to PR but to get thru in a similar speed as last year and save it for the run.

I kept to my goal and when I finally hit the last stretch of 10 miles I was still just under 140 bpm. NOW I can work into the wind and back to the park for about 8 miles. I just made it a point to catch people until the neighborhood. I reeled in probably 6 or 7 doing this. It was different, I was 2nd wave today, so there were not many people out in front of me. I only was passed by 12 riders and reeled in about 15-20. But at one point I wondered if I was on the right course, I did not see another biker for about 10 mins (probably 4or 5 mins but felt longer) In Florida, I was the LAST wave and all I saw the whole day was person after person. I was passed 3 times there, but passed hundreds on the ride. I finally hit the last mile and flew in. Increased cadence and spun it home. BTW - I PR"d this too

When I hit the first aid station, slow a little more, I think I may have hurt the poor lady handing off the bottle to me, I felt my force go thru that bottle.

otherwise - nothing because. . .
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

if you see my photos, you will see a great dismount, I just pulled the bike out from under me, the photo is hilarious. But I was jacked up. My HR was lower than last year, my legs felt really good. I felt completely ready to go. I followed my nutrition to a T this time. Gel before swim, gel at start of bike, 1 hr on bike, 2 hr on bike, and every 20 mins after until flask is empty. I supplemented with Perpeteum and 12 Endurolytes onthe bike. I was strictly water and Perp alternating every 10 mins for the first 2 hours - utilizing a 2.5 hr bottle of Perp. I called Hammmer this week and the Rep suggested I end the Perp earlier in the ride and switch cause of fats in the Perp mix can be tuff to digest while running.

Well it worked to this point. SO I started the T2 nutrition while a quick change occurred. I grabbed 2 small bottles - Torch PreBurn and PowerBar Endurance formula. I forgot to take this in Florida and in the end, I think it did make a difference.

Off I ran with nutrition all over me

Not a stellar T2 but good enough

Try to run with out putting on running shorts, but I stash nutrition there and it is easier to just pull up shorts that are comfortable carrying things, than rub all 13 miles
Run
  • 2h 14m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

So I am feeling great and ready to go. I'll just walk up the hill and then start the run. I finished the Torch and was ready to go, BUT

soon as I tried to push off at the top of the hill, WHAM the quads froze. OH CRAP!! this will be a llong day. So I cracked the Endurolytes and took 3 with a lil PowerBar Endurance. Once it was flat, I started a slow jog, quads were not ready but it was easy enough pace to continue. ]

The goal was to run 3 miles, walk 0.5 miles and repeat until the last section. It worked in training before. So I ranstation to station and walked the stations to get H2O and gels. Another mistake in Florida, I did not gel enough of hit endurolytes enough. Today i was ready, I took gels 2 out of every 3 stations and had endurolytes every other. On occasion just whenever.

The cramps were gone quickly and I felt pretty good. So I picked up the pace a bit. I ran until about 4 miles, and walked a quarter mile or so. then picked it up again and ran some more. I was feeling good. Much better and faster than last year. I actually, and do not tell anyone, was having fun. Until mile 7

Oh no,t again. The legs went a bit rubbery, but I knew a decent pace would pull me home. I was a bit worn out and needed a jolt. So i walked a little more, hit a station, had a gell and several endurolytes along with some gatorade. Just needed a new flavor. It was good. I started running a bit and felt better and low and behold - "I know that tall uguy" It was Tammy - I knew that voice anywhere. It was nice to have a known face. She actually got me to pick up my pace just to have someone to talk to for awhile - which we both agreed too many poeple were too serious.

We hit an aid station and refuled a bit, kept moving along and I need to slow down and not blow myself up, but thatnks to Tammy I was feeling more upbeat - this time I also was in better shape than last year when I wanted to die when wshe passed me. Then I saw Rich and his trusty camera. He gave a few good words of encouragement, like how could you let her pass you. THANKS RICH!

So I started running again and tried to stay under 11's for awhile. I actually found another guy going the rght pace and stayed with him for a mile plus. This kept me running and not much walking. I hit the last aid station and felt okay. I looked at my watch and noticed that (yes I noticed this the whole time) I could break my A goal of 5:45 if I can pull it together and get home.

I started running a bit faster and hit the final corner of Donkai suppport. I knew at this point I had to run it home to secure a sub 5:45 but had no idea how much time I really had.

I flew down the hill, which is dangerous for big guys. momentum wants us to roll!! but I did it. I t got to the bottom and felt like sprinting in! Well I did not sprint, but it was fast for me. I passed someone before the line.

Nothing - I PR'd! By alot

actually I PR'd EVERYTHING TODAY

What I will do differently is that I will not do HIM next year cause I will want to break 5:30 and that takes more time than I can commit. So next year right now is sprint and Oly time - Hammer fests!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

I walked a bit, di not fall over like last year or Florida. Med tent for Ice, lil stretch and LOTS of food

What limited your ability to perform faster:

???????

Last updated: 2007-11-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:46 | 2112 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 121/431
Performance: Good
Suit: helix long
Course: Rectangle - last year was a water start, this year a beach start.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:44:38 | 56 miles | 20.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 80/431
Wind: Some
Course: south along lake on a different course from last year due to some construction. Only one hill to speak of - but I recognized what everyone claimed was hill #2
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ???
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:14:06 | 13.1 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/23
Overall: 285/431
Course: 2 loops after a "quick" uphill run
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-23 8:39 AM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman

2008-06-23 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1482772

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman
Report or no report...5:37 is schuweeet!!!!!
2008-06-23 11:26 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Nice detailed report Chris! 

Huge congrats on the PR!

2008-06-23 11:30 AM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Lots of info coming!
2008-06-23 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Looking forward to the rest of the report, but congrats on a PR and a very fast time!
2008-06-23 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
Way to race! Great job!!

2008-06-24 8:35 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Awesome job! Great race Chris!

2008-06-24 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Your report is so touching. I feel like I was there. Wait I was. Looks pretty kick azz to me.
2008-06-27 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

Wow - great time on that race Chris!  You are really smokin' this distance now - very impressive!  I have to say this is one of the nicer race reports I have seen as well.  So much detail and yet when you read it, time just seems to fly by! 

2008-06-29 9:20 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
well its updated, more to come later when I have a chance
2008-06-29 9:48 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Great report, Donk!  I have this picture of a you as a bowling ball and taking out the pin (swimmer) - funny!  One thing, you mean you finally didn't have to walk part of the swim course for once?

Nice bike ride as usual.  I know the run is usually a little tough for you.

EEEAAAWWW!!!

2008-06-30 9:28 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

You had a great day out there!

You know- you did know it was me before you even turned around..... was I that obnoxious out there

I am positive next year youll be able to run the whole thing with me- or probaly even faster

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed