Pflugerville, Texas
United States
City of Pflugerville, Jack and Adams Bicycles
Total Time = 1h 29m 10s
Overall Rank = 170/
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/36
Pre-race routine:

Got up early to eat my oatmeal for breakfast. After eating oatmeal almost every weekend for the past 3 years, I'm getting kind of tired of it, but it works.
Event warmup:

Got there early hoping to get a good spot in the transition area. I was able to get an end spot about where I did last year, so I was happy. Met with some BTers and found a friend from church who was doing this as his first tri.
Swim
  • 12m 26s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm not strong at swimming. Usually I start swimming in February once the Austin marathon is over. This year, however, I was training for my first century ride June 1st and somehow never made swimming a priority. In the past two weeks I managed to get in 5 swims. Considering this, I feel like I did well. I think I was only 10-15 seconds slower this year than last.

I lined up toward the front right and tried to stay as close to the buoys as I could. There was a good stretch where I was right beside someone. I didn't want to slow down, but couldn't go fast enough to get in front of them. This was a little frustrating, but that's what happens in a tri. After we rounded the buoy, we separated.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get some drills to focus on when I swim, and I think one of these days I need to pay for a swim coach. I need to know some time off my swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Took my goggles and swim cap off as I was running. I was SOOOOO glad that Home Depot came through with carpet for the path this year. Last year I had to put my flip flops by a tree. I can handle running barefoot on the grass, but not on the run path out there.

Got socks and shoes on, then glasses and helmet and took off.

For sprints, I need to get use to riding without socks and I need to learn to do the running mount with my shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 45m 29s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Since I've done more riding this spring than ever before (even though it was on my road bike), I wanted to see what I could do on this course. I am very familiar with it since I live in Pflugerville. I built up speed on the first downhill and just kept at it. I felt good and passed several people. I tried to watch for the big cracks because a couple of weeks ago I flatted out there where I hit one. Didn't want that to happen in a race. Passed some more people on Cele and took the curve to Cameron at a decent speed and then attacked the first hill. Tried to maintain at least 16mph through the rollers. Pecan heading back into town usually gets me because of the false flat, but I was able to maintain speed here. Got passed by some guys in the 25-29 age group. Hit the access road to the tollroad and flew on the downhill part and tried to maintain on the uphill at the end. Did ok and then picked up speed again as I hit Pfluger coming into transition.

Nothing this time. This is my fastest bike speed in a triathlon yet. I think I had the 4th fastest split of my age group, so I was very happy with my time and my speed.

Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Had to sit down to get the bike shoes off and running shoes on, but I felt like I had a fairly fast transition. I could tell, though, that my legs weren't going to like the run. Grabbed my race belt and gatorade and took off.

Learn to dismount with my shoes on the bike.
Run
  • 28m 28s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I tried to keep my legs moving with the same cadence I had on the bike. They were moving fairly well, but in small steps. My legs usually adjust fairly fast, so I told myself to just keep moving. Started drinking my gatorade as the heat was becomming a factor and I don't do well in heat. When I saw the first mile marker, I looked at my watch and saw that I was a little over 9m/m pace. I knew what time I started running and knew that if I could keep up that pace, I'd have a PR. At mile two, I was still on track. At that point I had no idea where others in my age group were. I had been passed on the run, but only by guys so far. Shortly after mile two, two women in my age group passed me. I made it a goal to not get passed by anymore.

I need to do more speedwork. My run suffered this year just like swimming because of my training for my century ride. I need to figure out the balance for all three. My run time this year was about a minute per mile slower than last year's run time.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw some church friends as I crossed the finish line which was a nice surprise. Grabbed a banana and water. Found my friend who did this as his first. He did great. Talked to Katzchen55 for a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough dedicated triathlon training this spring.

Event comments:

Since this is my hometown tri, I'll do it every year. The carpet from the swim exit to transition and the cold, wet towel at the end were wonderful additions. I think this will just keep getting better and better each year. The only downside to that is that I think the field will also keep getting more and more competitive. One of these days, I want to place in my age group!

Last updated: 2008-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:26 | 500 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:29 | 14 miles | 18.47 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:28 | 03 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-23 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon

2008-06-23 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1483322

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: RE: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon
Great race report, I totally agree, it's going to get more competitive every year.  Good job on your race and nice to meet you (finally).
2008-06-23 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Awesome job out there and was really nice meeting you. yep, as word gets out the competition only gets tougher. again great job!!!
2008-06-23 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Great race, Briana, and nice to meet you. Keep focusing on that bike improvement and you'll be amazed at what it does to your running times when you pace yourself right. Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Pflugerville Triathlon Rss Feed