United States
Racine Family YMCA
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 22s
Overall Rank = 377/721
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 48/70
Pre-race routine:

Sandi and I drove down to Racine, parked the car, picked up race packet and looked for bathrooms.
Event warmup:

did a little walking around, but not too much..
Run
  • 1h 27m 22s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

So Sandi had the Garmin, and had said she was going to try and stay around a 9 minute pace, which was fine with me... We started together, and she zigged, I zagged, and I ran into a wall of people and she didn't. Followed behind her by 20-30 seconds up 'til mile 5 when I took a Hammer gel, and completely stopped to put it into the garbage bag a volunteer was holding so they wouldn't have to pick it up off the ground. By that time, I was about 45-60 seconds behind Sandi, and wasn't gaining.. SHE had a great race.

So I figured that even having an 8:45 pace for a 10 mile race would have been o.k., but I was still in the bottom 1/2 of my age group... man, I'm just slow... but the pace I had I was very comfortable with, and could have kept it up for quite a distance longer (at least that's what I'm telling myself).
What would you do differently?:

I guess run faster.. I didn't push too hard with this, and actually had one guy ask me if I really ran at the finish line, 'cause I wasn't sweating very much... guess I need to run faster or sweat more..
Post race
Warm down:

b e e r . . . . . . .

Chatted with a few of the donkeys (aidana and raytown pete) and a couple people I know from the hospital and had beer..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not getting my legs to move quicker in a reciprocal fashion.

Event comments:

good race. LOVED the race clock at every mile (especially since I didn't have a watch). That was nice to keep an eye on pacing. lots of volunteers, good post-race.

Last updated: 2008-06-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:27:22 | 10 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 48/70
Overall: 721/721
Performance: Good
Course: pretty much flat with a few rolling hills, but nothing major. Actually quite a nice course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes