Subaru
22C / 72F
Overcast
Total Time = 52m 26s
Overall Rank = 130/383
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 11/18
Pre-race routine:

Bad sleep. Up every hour. Pre-race jitters and granddaughter kep t waking me. Had a good breakfast miniwheats with a banana cut up in them. Glass of apple juice. Arrived at the site about 1 1/2 hours early. set up transtion. Much easier this time.
Event warmup:

did a quick once over on my bike. I also did a short run to warm up my legs. Walked around to see where the swim bike and run entrances and exits were. Talked with a number of the other competitors. There were only 4 of us int eh 55-59 age range. about 20 mintues before race time I got into my wet suit and went for a quick warm up swim. Then waited on the beach for the start
Swim
  • 10m 51s
  • 410 yards
  • 02m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first beach start. I found myself toward the front which is not where I was originally planning on being. At the horn and ran into the lake with the others. Hae two women just in front of me and as I dolphined in the first couple of times I slipped between them so as not to catch any kicks. I when I looked I realized I was with the front of the wave. I thought I was stroking OK but as I came up to the first buoy I realized I had gone out too quickly. Rounded the buoy and immediately went to backstroke to try and regain a little breath. From that point on it was backstroke, freestyle, backstroke etc. I did pass quite a few of the previous wave. Tired when I got to the beach
What would you do differently?:

I forgot the intsrucitons of my swim coach when I got out front and will next time force myself to slow down at the beginning andd o a proper stroke and breath as I had been taught.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

no times were advised in the transitions. It was an uphill run to the transition area to change and get onto my bike. The transition went smoothly. The suit came off easily and the socks shoes, helmet etc went on great. Very good transition.

Very good transition. nothing differnt to do next time
Bike
  • 27m 27s
  • 10 kms
  • 21.86 km/hr
Comments:

Ifelt my actual performance while ont he bike was good. I was riding fast and easy. The overall result was not satisfactory. As I left the transition after crossing the timer and the mount/dismount line I stepped on the pedal and the person in fron fo me stopped dead to get on his bike instead of doing a moving mount. I werved miss him and because I was at the side of the road my bike and I ended up in the ditch. The chanin had come off so I had to take time to unjem it and put it back on the gears. Also although I didnt realize it at the time I had bent a piece of the metal plate which is attached to the pedal so I was having a difficult time getting my foot properly into the pedal. Once on the course I was going good. Passing lots of people who had gone by me at the start. I down geared and went up a small hill. As i crested the hill I got up some good speed right away and shifted gears to top gear. Unfortunately I pushed the gear lever to far and the chain came off again. another stop to fix this. I realized then that the metal piece had been bent in the origianl fall so I yanked it up as best as I could and got going again. Before I reached the turn around the strap which anchors my foot to the pedal (goes through the afore mentioned metal piece) broke. No more problems encountered. The balance of the ride went very smoothly and quickly.

Watch at the mount area and make sure I am clear before attempting to mount when in a crowd.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

ran in the same shoes ans biking so it was a very fast change. Rack bike, take off helmet ....run.

nothing
Run
  • 14m 9s
  • 1.55 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

legs were stiff at the beginning but my pace was good and carried me through to when they loosened up a bit. I was overall happy with the running result.

I still would like to lengthen my stride more quickly off the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around. gathered belongings and clearde the tranistion area. Got some refeshment and light snacks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

breathing in the water still. Need to push harder on the run.

Event comments:

This was overall a good race. I was well prepared for it although I could have done better once it started. I need to concentrate while in the race to make sure I don't go all out at the beginning. I need to enjoy the swim more.

Last updated: 2008-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:51 | 410 yards | 02m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 0/383
Performance: Below average
Suit: wet suit
Course: recatangle. out 125m , right turn 125m, right turn back to beach 125m.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:27:27 | 10 kms | 21.86 km/hr
Age Group: 14/18
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Out of park onto country side road, paved. Straight run across two concessions turn around and come back. Fairly flat with the exception of two small hills one at the beginning about 1 k into the ride and one about 1/2 from the finish.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:14:09 | 01.55 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/18
Performance:
Course: hilly around the Guelph Lake park. Seemed to be going either up or down all the time. almost no flat area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes