General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Philadelphia Triathlon, LLC
Total Time = 2h 27m 54s
Overall Rank = 272/1892
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 27/257
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 24m 41s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

Another good swim this year. A little congested at the start. Bumped into the same guy about 3 times. I think we both were drifting. After 400m, it opened up and was pretty free the rest of way. Faster swim this year meant I caught the pack of the wave in front of me before the last bouy. This was a big difference as it did not bunch up there. Only issue I have is that the timing of the race is still off. My official split shows 24:41. I looked at my watch both when I came out of the water and when I hit the mats. It showed 24:03 and 24:13. My overall time on my watch throughout the day was 3 secs faster (not sure why) and I can live with that. This means they have my swim as 30 secs slower. I believe this time was possibly added to the run. Not sure though. My overall time is about right (after they changed it a bunch of times yesterday) so thats all that matters.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Much better than last year. Suit was a little stuck but not bad.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 9s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where the wheels could have literally come off for me in this race. First loop was fun and was doing very well. Not sure of my time as I was not clock watching. Then the fun began. As others have mentioned, with the expansion of racers (a good thing), this course is becoming very crowded at certain points. Black Road is one of those. Coming down Black at the end of the first loop, everyone started braking fast near the tunnel at the bottom. The road was completely clogged across and I had nowhere to go. I swerved and hit my brakes. Felt rear wheel fishtailing so I eased up. The pack was now braking harder and I was about to run into them. I had a decision to make. Either push into them or take it in the a$$. I chose the latter. I braked hard and my rear wheel fishtailed again. This time it came out from under me and as Howard Cosell would say "down goes Frazier". We were still on the downhill so I was moving pretty good here. I slid on my right cheek and back of thigh and got a nice case of road rash. No broken bones thank God. Would hate to get knocked out this close to IMLP. Picked up my bike and noticed the chain dropped. Put it back on and started to pedal with my hand to get it all the way around. I was off to the side doing this when another guy came down and ran out of room to the left. He came into the shoulder and clipped my front tire and pulled the bike right out my hands. He went down as well. Neither of us hurt which is surprising. Anyway, picked bike up again and repeated procedure. Got back on and spent next quarter mile readjusting brakes as they were rubbing after the crash. Kind of took it easier the second loop as I was a little shook up. My butt and thigh were tightening a little as I continued on which is not surprising. Not sure of how much time I lost in total. Probably 3 mins. Probably cost me 1MPH for the whole course. Oh well, my first race crash. Hopefully my last. No serious injuries and that is all that matters. I agree with others that if they expand the race further it will become too dangerous in certain sections.
What would you do differently?:

Not crash!
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Average performance. Shoes and socks on fairly quickly and out the back running. Drank a little here which was good.
Run
  • 45m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good on the run starting out. Kept HR in control and focused on turnover. Started passing people and mentally felt good. Granted I was in a later wave but was happy that I passed a lot of people on the run and only got passed by about 5 people. One of which I passed back. With the crash and getting more tired as the race wnent on my math skills were deteriorating. That said, I think I ran the second half faster than the first. At the very least it was even which I am pretty happy about. As noted up in the swim, I think they cut 30 secs here. I was probably about 30 secs slower which would have put me around 7:24 pace. That seems more plausible. Again I was tired so I didn't get exact splits when I looked at the watch. The only split I vividly remember was the swim because I was a full minute ahead of last years time. No big deal. The overall time is about what my watch had so that is all that counts.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. A good run considering the day. Was glad I pushed through the crash and kept going.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to medical tent and pulled my shorts off the road rash that it was now stuck to. That felt nice...yeah right. Then had the tech squirt me down with saline solution to clean it out. I about hit the roof of the tent!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crash!

Event comments:

The number of participants is definately at its limit now. Bike course was tight. The timing seemed to be off yesterday and they posted several different times. I think they may have had an issue with the starter on the swim course. They may have not been on the same page with the timing mats. As I said, in the end they did get the overall time pretty much right so thats what counts.
The volunteers were outstanding and the race is in general very well run and a lot of fun. A really good race. Was glad I pushed through the crash and finished.

Last updated: 2008-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:41 | 1500 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/257
Overall: 0/1892
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Point to point.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:09 | 24.85 miles | 20.11 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: 2 Loops with some technical hilly sections.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:45:22 | 06.21 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back in 2 directions with Transition in the middle.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-23 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Subject: Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Olympic Distance

2008-06-23 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1483809

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Olympic Distance
Sorry to hear you crashed. But in all, a good race! Congrats.

Timing was a mess. I honestly think they screwed up big time. I was in the second wave. Male Pros went off...then us and I crossed the finish at 2:18..... If there was 10 minutes between the first two waves and you subtract 20 mins... 1:58? I know I am polish and all but my math is not that bad. They didnt' even have a time posted for me in the prelim results. I was pretty shocked at how poorly some things were run...

Good luck in Placid...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Olympic Distance Rss Feed