Vineman Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 14s
Overall Rank = 124/211
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 21/31
Pre-race routine:

Afternoon race so no problem getting there early and setting up. Walked around, checked out the scenery, watched them set out the swim buoys, walked the first little section of the bike and run course.
Event warmup:

Attended pre-race meeting and did a little jog to warm-up.
Swim
  • 09m 44s
  • 440 yards
  • 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out well near the back of the wave, by the half-way point I had been hit several times, lost my focus, then was held up by a couple of people dog-paddling/treading water, then goggles started leaking. Ended up side-stroking the last 150 meters or so.
What would you do differently?:

Long warm up is crucial for me. Start more to the outside.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

I was winded from the bad swim so I was slower than I thought.

Will probably go sockless next time.
Bike
  • 34m 54s
  • 9 miles
  • 15.47 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was a little tricky. First of all, you exit transition on a little walking path in the park. As soon as you mount up, and clip in, you continue for maybe 100 feet on the path and then make a short but VERY steep uphill turn and follow the path another 150 feet or so to where it connects to the road. On the road, watch out for speed bumps and rough patchy pavement. Once you turn left on San Pablo, there is an uphill section that is smooth.

I was pretty tired after the swim so it took me a while to recover. I also decided to take it easier than normal and save my legs for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

T2 is tricky. As you are coming downhill on the path to the park, you have to dismount before the steep section. You don't have a lot of room and you have to watch you footing if you run down in your cleats. Some people took their shoes off at the dismount area.

Probably remove shoes after dismount.
Run
  • 29m 15s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Steep stairs and path leading to road, downhill to San Pablo and then flat. Legs felt OK, was conservative and didn't want to blow up. Took 2 cups of water at the aid station. It was getting pretty hot. Saved a little for a sprint at the end.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, cold shower

What limited your ability to perform faster:

bad swim put me in the hole from the start, the bike was OK but hard to get in a good rhythm due to the ups and downs. Run was OK but very hot. Steep uphill and then downhill before the finish made it a little tricky.

First ever triathlon! Nervous on the swim as I had just learned to swim a few months before.

Event comments:

Good race for experienced and first timers. Afternoon races are nice, you have plenty of time to get there, setup and get warmed up. The course is short but fairly technical. Coming in and out of transition is technical here as well. Bike handling skills are a must on this course. Probably not a lot of opportunity to get on the aerobars so a road bike might work better here for the twisties and hills.

Last updated: 2008-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:44 | 440 yards | 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/31
Overall: 175/211
Performance: Bad
N/A
Suit: Long wetsuit
Course: Sand/gravel beach start from nothern end of McNear's Beach on semi-circular course, there were six buoys I believe. Finish was at the southern end of the beach. The race was a high tide so no problems with mud, people were swimming by the time they reached the muck. After the swim a little run up little hill along a carpeted path, through some grass to the transition area.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:54 | 09 miles | 15.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/31
Overall: 98/211
NA
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back rollercoaster course. One flat section near the turn-around. Very twisty with blind corners and virtually no shoulder.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: NA
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:15 | 03 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/31
Overall: 83/211
NA
Course: Very flat out and back south out of the park on San Pablo Road. Nice views and good road with a nice shoulder. Very little shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %NA
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes