Ironman North America
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 11h 44m 3s
Overall Rank = 479/2060
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 67/
Pre-race routine:

We got to CdA on Wednesday, a few days before the race and if I were to do it again, I'd probably do it the same. Gave us enough time to get settled in and comfortable, and even go through the same routine of waking up and going down to get used to the cold water on the swims.

There are a lot of things that preceded the race, obviously, in terms of training and several other things that happened and made training go a bit sideways at times. But rather than bore anyone with details, I'll just say that one thing I realized in the few days leading up to the race is that Ironman training kind of served as a control that everything else got paired up against. Sometimes that was good and sometimes not as good, but having that one constant made me realize just how much life really happened in the last six months and I'm not sure I would have caught that otherwise.
Event warmup:

Woke up at 4 in the morning after sleeping so-so. It rained pretty hard for about 2.5 hours and I think I heard every raindrop that hit the plastic window well outside my room. Had my usual eggs and waffles for breakfast with a pepto bismol chaser and made my way down to the transition area. Got things mostly organized and ran into Jess, Jeff, Laura, and Shannon, put my wetsuit on and made my way to the beach. I missed the pro start but saw them come in on their first lap. I hopped in the water for a small warm-up to see how the temperature felt and swam out to the kayakers. I really thought the water temp was a non-issue on race day. As I got to the kayakers, I turned around to take a look at the swim finish and arrange the logistics in my head and when I turned it was pretty overwhelming the number of people lined up against the shore wall and on the steps off to the right. They were everywhere just waiting for the race to start. I think that's one of the lasting images I'll have of the race. Then I made my way back in to the shore and got ready to go.
Swim
  • 1h 20m 35s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Gun went off and it was off to the races. I put my head in and sprinted the first 200 yards or so and was on an inside line. I thought things were going well and then I got destroyed. If the running of the bulls in Pamplona were to take place in water, this swim is what it would have felt like. I've never had a more physical and brutal swim experience in my life. Every stroke was fighting for position with someone on each side of you, and on top of you at times. I started swimming much more aggressively to protect my head and was making sure I was pulling back with hard elbows to create any room I could. The worst of it was through the first turn but still lasted mostly through the entire first lap. I did have drafting opportunities, and they improved at times. The problem, I think, is that people I was near weren't willing to work together. They were getting pissed if you hit their feet while drafting and I had one guy sit up and yell at me. I just kept going by. Anyway, I had a lot more clean water and decent drafts on the second lap and felt better coming in. The only downside was that I had to pee for the entire second lap and was basically holding it in for 40 minutes. I lack the ability to go while swimming. About 300 yards out you could start to hear the crowd and see the swim finish and all the fans. It really was cool to run out of the water to everyone cheering you through all the way to transition.
What would you do differently?:

When my training started going sideways, the first thing that got cut back was the swimming. I'm not sure another 100,000 yards in the pool would have really helped, and I'm not sure there's a lot I could have done differently here. Nothing can really prepare you for that physical of a swim other than trying to stay collected through it all, knowing you'll get your clean water at some point.
Transition 1
  • 07m 50s
Comments:

Made my way into the tent and I had a small issue with my bib number that was pinned to the back of my jersey. I couldn't get it figured out and waited for a volunteer to help. He had to re-pin it and then I got going. By that time I had another volunteer helping with everything else and it was pretty good. I packed my transition bag for nearly every weather possibility and took some time sorting through what I really needed. Turned out I needed none of it but I took arm and leg warmers with just in case. I was also doing the "pee dance" so badly I could barely put on my shoes or anything else. Finally made it to the portapotty and it felt like half my transition was spent in there. Much better.

The stupidest thing I did in transition was to forget putting chamois cream on. I had plans of a nice layer cake of chamois cream in my shorts that would last as long as humanly possible and completely forgot. Not smart.
Bike
  • 6h 02m 14s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.55 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew the bike leg was all about pacing and holding back. My instructions from my coach were to go out and act like I'm the only one on the course for nearly the first hour and if people go by, let them. My problem wasn't with letting people go by, but was more of a concern for getting a drafting penalty since there were a lot of riders in not a lot of space. So my options were to continuously drop back or pass. I opted to pass. I basically paced the beginning like I would have done for a HIM, which just means not easy enough for long enough, followed by too hard. That was essentially the first lap, even though I felt good throughout all of it. Coming back into town I knew I had to bring it back some on the second lap so I did. I also stopped four times compared to zero times on the first lap. Once was for special needs to get additional nutrition, twice to pee, and once because I dropped a water bottle and stopped to get it.

I used Infinit the whole time and it worked really well. I had 3 bottles with 1.5 hours of nutrition in each. I stopped at special needs to get 2 more bottles with the same mix. The only hiccup was that I went through 2 bottles (3 hours) in the first two hours and kind of overloaded my stomach. I had to switch to water for about an hour or so to let my stomach clear, and in doing so, the slight calorie deficit came back to haunt me for a bit on the rollers on the second lap. I could tell when things were kicking in again, though, and started feeling better. In all, I went through 4 bottles of Infinit and 1 bottle of water, which was a total of about 1650-1700 calories on the bike. The two stops to pee were just dumb and I should have gone on the bike like I ended up doing near the end of the bike. The dropped bottle was also dumb, but not the end of the world. The point to all of this is that I had a silent goal of coming off the bike in under 6 hours and these 3 stops kept me from it. Not the end of the world in a race this long though.

Pace better on the first lap, piss myself like a newborn baby on the bike, and not drop my water bottle.
Transition 2
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

Volunteer took my bike and I stood there for about 15 seconds to make sure my legs were okay. Then a volunteer asked if I was going to go into transition. For some reason I thought I'd already gone over the timing mat.

Once in the tent, the volunteer was great. I was a bit of a mess, but the volunteer was great. I must have asked him to wait 4 or 5 times even though he kept reiterating he wasn't going anywhere until I was up and on my way. He really made this transition much better than it would have been for me. Once I was on my way, I got lathered up with sunscreen and was off.

Not think a metal folding chair could be so comfortable?
Run
  • 4h 09m 35s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Once I exited the transition, my legs actually didn't feel all that terrible but it was really a side cramp that had me moving slowly. I had some gels in my back pocket but once I made my way through the first aid station I knew I could get rid of the gels and eliminate how annoying they were bouncing back there. I saw Desiree leading Heather Gollnick which was kind of cool. I later saw Heather fly by me. As I was settling into a good pace around 8:35s that felt effortless, I saw Jeff (Q) come by me like he was shot out of a rocket. I had passed him on the bike and expected to see him go by on the run, just not that quickly. Very impressive. The first 10 or so miles went really well for me and I'm pretty sure I was at a sub-9 pace. Somewhere soon thereafter my stomach started to shut down and nothing at the aid stations was good. I thought I was going to have to boot and rally but the boot never happened so it was just waiting to rally. The chicken broth was gross and I got one cup that was scalding hot. I was hoping the coke would make me start belching to relieve the pressure in my gut, but no luck. I tried holding on going in and out of town but my pace was quickly dwindling down to the 10:30-10:45 range. I walked through the aid stations, taking in what I could out of fear of bonking super hard, and then picked it up to run to the next. Somewhere in the middle of all this, it was nice to see familiar faces on the course, whether it was people I knew like the CO BTers, the BTers that I had just met, other D3 athletes that I've never met and just exchanged a simple wave on the course, etc. There was also some girl out there holding up a sign for a kissing booth so I ran slightly off course to get some all the while with her friends *coughwhizzswgtrietccough* shamelessly encouraging her.

Around mile 19 everything in my gut started to loosen up and the pressure was moving out. And just like that I went from my crappy 10:30+ miles back to about an 8:40 pace and felt good except my legs were ready to give out. The back of my right knee was starting to lock up, making it harder to start after each aid station.

Finally, I knew I had gone through the last aid station and the next stop was the finish. I made my way through the turns and then on to the turn for the final 6 blocks, zipped up my jersey and took it all in. There is really nothing like the site of staring at the Ironman finish quickly approaching with the lake right behind it. The streets were completely packed with fans and I was able to run without any more pain until I made my way down the chute to hear what I've been waiting a long time for and it was every bit as sweet as I'd imagined.

I did the best I could with what I had.
Post race
Warm down:

Heat blanket. Ground. Pizza. Hobble.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First IM without knowing what to expect. I didn't pace the bike correctly but it wasn't a disastrous mistake either. There's always room for improvement and it's really a matter of how and where I want to focus my energy inside the sport of triathlon and outside of it as well.

Event comments:

First, the fans and volunteers are what make this race an overwhelming success. I think this is probably the coolest and most difficult thing I've ever done. I was an emotional trainwreck leading up to the race and still am to some extent since it hasn't all quite sunk in yet. Also, the other BTers that we met were all great and easily the best cheerleaders on the course. The girl in short shorts with a cowboy hat and cowboy boots is a very close second though! Really, just the atmosphere of an Ironman is one of the most unique around. Walking around the expo in the days leading up to it I ran into Heather Fuhr, Paula Newby-Fraser, Heather Gollnick, Desiree Ficker, Viktor Zyemstev, Greg Welch, and others. At the end of the day, Adam (Gearwhore), Scott (sbreaux) and I went to watch the last 1.5 hours of finishers. There's just nothing else like it.

Last updated: 2007-11-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:20:35 | 4224 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 125/
Overall: 1067/2060
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU Elite
Course: Rectangular course with 2 laps.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 07:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:02:14 | 112 miles | 18.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 95/
Overall: 679/2060
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A couple small sustained climbs, some flats, and rollers on the backside. A little bit of everything.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:09:35 | 26.2 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 67/
Overall: 479/2060
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops, not quite as flat as I thought it would be but not overly hilly either. Just gradual ups and downs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-24 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Ironman Coeur d'Alene

2008-06-24 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1487220

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene
Nice work out there...Giddy up...the girl in the hat!!!
2008-06-24 2:55 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Thanks for stopping by the kissing booth, but you still owe me 25 cents.

You did awesome..your first IM and you kicked freaking butt!! Glad you enjoyed it.

2008-06-24 3:08 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Congratulations Ironman!!  Nice job on the race!
2008-06-24 3:13 PM

User image

Elite
Awesome job. Why didn't you visit my kissing booth?
2008-06-24 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Wow. Simply amazing. Huge congrats, Mr. Ironman!!!

2008-06-24 3:24 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Looks like you executed this race to perfection. WTG! I loved all the details in your race report. Congrats on a third ironman well done!

Pam
2008-06-24 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great race, man!  Sub 12 in your first attempt.  That is sweet.  Tom Crean  Buzz Williams will be very proud of you

Great RR, too.  I felt like I was there.  I particularly like the line " myself like a newborn baby".  Whatever it takes.

2008-06-24 4:09 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Wow, great race Ironman....you did really well and overcame a few things in there, learned a few things, and totally earned that finish line tape! Well done!!
2008-06-24 6:44 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Great Race! Your mental courage is admirable...and I'll give you a big hurrah for the physical effort, too!

You rock! 

2008-06-24 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

great (funny!) race report and an even better performance.  Very impressive.  crazy the way you got beat up in the swim and still had 11 hours of racing ahead of you.   you gave us non-ironmen a good taste of what it is like.  fantastic job!

2008-06-24 9:47 PM

User image

Master
Savannah,
Great rr! Great race-Congratulations.  You were tough and f-a-s-t.
2008-06-24 10:33 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job!!
2008-06-24 10:50 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Congratulations on your first IRONMAN!  You really rocked the day!  Enjoy your well earned rest!
2008-06-24 11:02 PM

User image

Westminster, CO

awesome race Ryan!  you really put in a great effort and got great results!  very strong pacing on the bike and your effort on the run was incredible!  way to get your stride and pace back and keep you head in the game

its been a long road and you have these solid results to reflect on forever!  well done!

2008-06-25 7:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Nice Race!

2008-06-25 8:09 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats Ironman!

Great execution of your race and adjusting to issues that arose.

Loved your detailed RR 

2008-06-25 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
2008-06-25 9:07 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOAH look at that time for your first! Awesome! Congratulations on becoming an Ironman!
2008-06-25 9:15 AM

User image

Regular
Way to go IRONMAN!! Great job and great RR.
2008-06-25 9:19 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA

Great Race!!!! Congrats

2008-06-25 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Very interesting RR and inspiring as well!  Congrats Ironman!
2008-06-25 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1488944

User image

Master
Colorado

What an awesome experience for you.  You did a tremendous job and I'm proud of you!  I can imagine the emotions and glad you were able to enjoy the entire experience from the training to getting there early to staying to watch the last of the finishers to enjoying a day or two after.  Impressive Ryan.

2008-06-25 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

Thank you for this great RR. I'm doing my first IM next year at CD'A. I'd like to know more about the level of rollers on the bike course. I've seen the map online, but it's hard to guage the brutality on a map. I counted 16 true climbs based on the topography, but would you agree ? or are some of my "16" short climbs?

Regardless... congratulations to you. YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!

2008-06-25 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Congratulations, Ironman!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Coeur d'Alene Rss Feed  

of 2