General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies-Tri-suit or separates ?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-24 8:31 PM

New user

Long Island, NY
Subject: Ladies-Tri-suit or separates ??

Hi

Im looking for a little incite on what to wear racing and training.  Tri-suit or separates? I'd like to hear from some women of size 18 up.   Training is kind of easy because you can wear the outfit  made for the sport (swimsuit, bike shorts, running shorts), but race day is different as you can't change out of a swimsuit to bike shorts.  Right? Where did you find your stuff?  I've been looking at Danskin and Junovia.  From my own experience Danskin runs small. True? How important is the padding in the bottoms?  Junovia doesn't have any. 

Im only doing a sprint length but I don't want to get the dreaded chafing.

Any help? 

Thanks,  Amanda

2008-06-24 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1487921

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ladies-Tri-suit or separates ??
Welcome to the world of tri's. I have only completed one sprint tri and I used the danskin tri suit... all one piece that zipped up the front. It was fabulous, comfy, no chafing, and all around a great choice. I think one piece suits are more of a pain for long distances...but for sprints they are perfect. I am a short pear and wear a size 16... I got the xl and was fine. They go up to xxl.

Good Luck,
Elizabeth
2008-06-24 9:05 PM

User image

I completed my first sprint distance tri this weekend, I purchased the one piece Danskin Tri all blackzip up front also. I went to REI and tried on multiple combinations to see what I like. I am a solid 199 but carry my weight pretty well. My jeans range from a 14-18 and I usually wear a large or xl shirt.

I tried the two piece tri tank and shorts and all I could think about was the top riding up all race and somebody getting a horrible picture of that. (Plus both pieces seem to run small I tried XL of both pieces) I then proceeded to the 1 piece, started with the XL seemed a little large, so I went to the large though it was good, got a second opinion and went with a medium.

Best thing to do is see if there is a tri store or REI in you area and try on what you see, then go home and look online for pricing!

2008-06-25 4:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
ajoneen - 2008-06-24 8:31 PM

Hi

Im looking for a little incite on what to wear racing and training. Tri-suit or separates? I'd like to hear from some women of size 18 up. Training is kind of easy because you can wear the outfit made for the sport (swimsuit, bike shorts, running shorts), but race day is different as you can't change out of a swimsuit to bike shorts. Right? Where did you find your stuff? I've been looking at Danskin and Junovia. From my own experience Danskin runs small. True? How important is the padding in the bottoms? Junovia doesn't have any.

Im only doing a sprint length but I don't want to get the dreaded chafing.

Any help?

Thanks, Amanda

I raced in the Danskin one piece suit for my first tri last weekend. The only problem I had with it is that if you have to go to the bathroom, it's a pain in the butt to deal with almost completely undressing as opposed to just pulling down the shorts. But I'm sure if I would have done a 2 piece I would have had a problem with the shirt rolling up and the shorts rolling down
2008-06-26 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Land of Mickey-Orlando
I have been racing triathlon for 8 years now. I started my racing at 270lbs and have worked my way down into the 180's. I have found that a one piece tri suit is the most comfortable and easy during a race. Nothing rides up or down and I have several brands. My favorites are the 2XU and Speedo brands. I just couldn't get comfortable with a two piece.

Danskin runs fairly true to size to slightly large while the junovia products rn fairly true to size. I have a Danskin tri suit and like it as well. I only have running tights from junovia.

Hope this helps

-Melissa-
2008-06-26 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
I'm an 18-20, and in previous races I just wore my swim suit for the swim, later I found just swim in my bike shorts too, and throw on a sports bra and singlet for the bike/run. It cut down on my transition time just to have the bike shorts on and it all dried pretty quickly.

I look like a stuffed sausage in a tri suit, so the separates work better for me, picture-wise.

2008-06-27 12:30 AM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
I have a Danskin two piece. I purchased the two piece because I like to go to the bathroom like 3 times before I start a race (LOL) and didn't want to pull the one piece up and down.
2008-06-27 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1493722

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Javamom - 2008-06-27 12:30 AM

I have a Danskin two piece. I purchased the two piece because I like to go to the bathroom like 3 times before I start a race (LOL) and didn't want to pull the one piece up and down.

Where were you when I was picking out my tri clothes I went to the bathroom at least 5 times before I even started racing and then I absolutely had to go in T1. I lost so much time!
2008-06-29 9:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Penn Valley,

I have an XXL one piece Tri-Suit from Danskin.  I'm 5'4" and last year I weighed 207 when I raced.  The suit was snug but not too small.  I now weigh 187 and about about a week before the Danskin race June 15th it dawned on me that my XXL suit might not fit anymore.  I tried it on, it didn't really stretch and the legs were a little lose but it was wearable.  I'm doing another race in October and hoping to lose more weight by then so I probably need to shop for a new suit.  

Although I do have to go to the bathroom a couple times while wearing the suit, I still prefer the one piece.  At least I don't have to be pulling down a shirt, pulling up bottoms or having my stomach/back exposed.  

Figure out what you're comfortable in and that's the right answer for you.

2008-06-30 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Virginia
i have and love my one piece suits.  the two pieces roll too much.  top rolls up and bottom rolls down.  with the one piece, yeah it's harder to go to the bathroom, but it's better than feeling super conscious that my top is going up and all that. 
2008-07-03 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
I've worn both a 1-piece and 2-piece.  Worn the 1-piece at 9 races; wore the 2-piece at one race this past weekend.  Except for the swim, spent a lot of time pulling the top down so it layered over the bottoms.  What a pain.  I'll probably go back to the 1-piece.  Except for the fact that it's more complicated to go to the bathroom in, there are no drawbacks.  Put it on and forget about it.

2008-07-03 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
I'm a 2-piecer. I wear tri shorts on bottom and a sport bra on top. In T1 I put on a bike shirt. The bike shirts are long enough that they don't roll up. Actually one of my shirts is a tri shirt, but i don't wear a wetsuit, so I can't wear it for the swim (too much drag). I imagine that wearing a 1-piece would cut down on my transition time, since putting a shirt on a wet body is tricky. I may try it one day. But I'd still need the sport bra underneath for support! For sprints, you don't need padding on the shorts.

Edited by miche033 2008-07-03 3:34 PM
2008-07-04 12:15 AM

User image

Redmond, Oregon
I like the Danskin one piece for Sprint and Olympic distance anything over, I don't want to deal with having to take it almost all the way off to use the bathroom. Make sure they have a good seam sewn at the base of the zipper so it can't come off the track. I had to use the bathroom right before my heat was to start and the zipper came off and I wasn't able to get it back on the track. I have to wear a sports bra so luckily I was still able to race but of course I had worn a white one with a black trisuit, lovely race pics, lol. I had tried swimming in just the tri shorts and sports bra but it takes too long to pull on a top (unless it's very loose fitting) when you're wet.
2009-07-10 5:41 AM

Some have multiple strap designs and jewels embedded in them. The tops come in either diamond shape or teardrop shape as well. http://www.verysexybikini.com/

Edited by tujmrsth 2009-07-10 5:42 AM
2009-07-10 4:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Kauai girl now in MIll Creek/Silver Firs
ha ha ha ha - I think the post above mine might be spam - I thought it read odd and then clicked on the link. Not sure they realized this was a Athena/Clydes forum. Some of those bikinis wouldn't fit over my big toe!

Anywhooo, I tried on a bunch of tri suits before finding one I really loved. I have a long torso and the women's suits all felt too short so I settled on a men's De Soto Xl - I was about an 18 when I started tri training and it fit perfect in a men's XL. Also, the shorts on women's tri suits are generally shorter than on the mens, and I like more coverage on my legs.  I just wear the trisuit under my wetsuit and then throw a bike jerseyon for the bike and run (I love having the extra pockets on the back of the jersey).

2009-07-11 12:08 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I definitely prefer racing in a 1-piece--the Danskin is really great and comfortable.  This year, as a LUNA Chix team member, we got our tri suits from LUNA--2 piece--pretty snug, and the top looked like it would instantly roll up to expose that dreaded midsection.  What did I do?  I took it to a tailor and had the top and bottom sewn together.  Since the tri top has a zipper, it's easy to put on.   Before races I usually just put the bottom half on and a tshirt over my bra with the tri top sort of folded around my waist.  Then I can hit the portapotties easily.  Then right before I put on my wetsuit, I put on the trisuit. Works great and it stays on!  I think this way you can find both comfortable tops and bottoms and create your own tri suit.

Here it is in action:

2009-07-12 2:53 PM

User image

Beaverton, OR
I've been wearing the Danskin tri suit like others above and haven't had any problems with it. When I've tried on the two piece outfits the tops roll up and look very sausage casing-ish.

I found that I can just pull the leg over to go to the bathroom (like you do a bathing suit) and not have to unzip and pull it down. Sometimes it's a little messy, but there's always disinfectant gel in the porta potties and I'm usually stinky and sweaty anyway.
2009-07-14 12:25 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
I wear a good sports bra, a tri-top and some form of shorts. This is what I wear throughout.

My problem is that my butt is a lot bigger than my top, so stuff that fits on the bottom is way too big on the top. Right now, the shorts I wear are Moving Comfort and they rock.

Really, you can pretty much wear anything you like, just make sure it doesn't have cotton in it, because it WILL stretch and it won't dry out like the good performance gear will.
2009-07-14 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
I am about to do my first sprint tri in 2.5 weeks. I will wear a tri suit so I don't have to worry about the top riding up. I have been doing a few swims and bike rides in the Danskin Tri suit to get the feel of it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies-Tri-suit or separates ?? Rss Feed