General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sooo tired...Sprint race during IM training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-25 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Subject: Sooo tired...Sprint race during IM training
OK I had a sprint race on Sunday. Did well 9/206 in my age group (45-49) Did not sleep well the night before, but was to be expected especially since this was my first race of the season.
I'm not quite half way into my IM training (IMWI). I have several races planned for wetsuit, transition practice etc. I have an HIM in July in which I have built in a taper and recovery week. For the sprints I did not taper. I did adjust the week slightly, switched my Sat and Thurs plans. so on Thurs did the 2 hr run and on Sat I swam 2000 and ran 20 (down from 40 planned so I guess it was a mini taper) Friday is my normal day off. On Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged. Not sore, just incredibly fatigued. Decided to listen to my body, rest, no work out, took the dog for a walk. Tues was feeling a bit better so I resumed my regular planned training. 3000 m swim and 50 min run. Was sluggish at first, but was able to pick up the pace and felt pretty good by the end. Did yard work later in the afternoon. Today (tuesday) UGGG SOOO TIRED!!!!!. After I saw my kids off to work, school... I went back to bed, slept solidly for 2 hours! I never do that.
What the heck is going on. I don't feel sick, I made sure to drink, eat properly. Is this normal for someone in the midst of IM training. Should I not have done the race? I didn't feel this tired after doing back to back Olys last year. I thought the extreme fatigue of IM training wouldn't come until right before the taper.
All I can say is I'm glad I'm off work for the summer so I can work out at different hours. Still hoping to go on my bike later today.
Any thoughts?

2008-06-25 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1489039

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
Subject: RE: Sooo tired...Sprint race during IM training
This is my first year training for an IM (KY) and I have an Oly this weekend and a HIM July 19th. I'm a bit nervous too, b/c they aren't at the end of the recovery weeks built into the schedule. I doing some flip flopping so I don't miss the long workouts, but I'm hoping I can come out of the race Sunday, take my normal day off Monday and get back into the groove on Tuesday.
2008-06-25 11:04 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

When I was IM training the smallest things I did (non-training related) would suck any ounce of energy out of me- especially during the big build phase.  Running errands all day, yard work, walking the dogs, painting rooms, etc.  It wasn't bad at first but over time it caught up with me and really wore me out.  Make sure to let your body rest when you have a rest day and get plenty of sleep.  I napped a ton during IM training at any change I would get.  Sometimes I'd come home for lunch and nap for 20-30mins and go back to work.  I was always tired.  IM training is very hard on the body and you might have to cut back on some other things so you can get rest.  Good luck with your training!

2008-06-25 11:15 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I'm doing IMLP and have done a sprint, HIM biker as a relay, a short Oly and a Oly aquabike all without tapering and training through them. I'm always tired so after races didn't feel any different actually race days were normally less training than I would have done if not racing.

This week I'm doing a 110 mile/8 mile brick Thursday, swimming IM distance Friday, and racing Sunday. 

I find my overall life stress is key to how I recover from my training. If you didn't sleep well and life is hectic at home, that may be stressing you more. 

2008-06-25 2:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
This year I've stepped up my IM training, big time, and found that training through races has been much more difficult. Coach says its to be expected, due to accumulation of fatigue. I felt exactly as you described.
2008-06-25 4:12 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I too am tired a lot of the time. Although I find now that I sleep like the dead. Exhausted when I wake up but usually good by the time I get to work, especially if I ride. As long as I eat my veggies and drink lots of water during the day I seem to make it through the day, but by 10 I am cooked, pass out like a light.

I am also concerned, because I am planning on ramping up my training, thinking of racing Grand Columbian, since it is the only one i can register for last minute and I will only do that if I can handle the increase in training I have planned.

But yeah, feeling tired, suppose it is a sacrifice you have to make, at least you only have 9 or 10 weeks left. You can do it!

2008-06-25 4:56 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Through IM training it is ok to feel tired in particular near peak cycle, it is not ok to feel totally spent. if you do you may want to review your total training load and your other life priorities; IM training is a big commitment but it also should be fun and though time management is a challenge you should strive to find the right load that complements the other things in your life. If you don't something got to give sooner than later. In this case maybe the load for the week was too much considering the intensity of the sprint race, take a few days very easy and see how you feel/recover. If you feel back to normal within a few days move along if you don’t revise your plan and tweak it a bit or if you have a coach talk to him/her. Good luck

2008-06-25 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Thanks for all the advice and words of encouragement.
The funny thing about this is that I'm off work for the summer (teacher) and I feel more tired than when I was getting up at 4:45 to train and then working a full day. But, I'm wondering if the change in my days, going to bed a bit later (figured I could do that since I wasn't getting up before dawn anymore) a different routine etc. has also contributed to this fatigue.
I really pushed myself at the race. I guess it really took a toll on me. You all are correct on the cumulative effect of training on developing fatigue.
And yes, I have rediscovered the joy of naps. Take them when ever I can.
I felt a bit more energetic in the afternoon today so I rode my bike, nice and easy. I figure I will try to stay with my plans far as run/bike times or swim distance, just reduce the intensity and hopefully will begin to get my energy back.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sooo tired...Sprint race during IM training Rss Feed