Sunny
Total Time = 15h 13m 38s
Overall Rank = 1711/
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 168/205
Pre-race routine:

Get up on time and chug three Ensure. Also had a banana and some coffee
Event warmup:

Passing out last minute items to my special bags. I was more relaxed then last year and that almost caused me trouble. By the time I ambled over to the special needs bike bag area my box wasn't there. I turned to look at the truck they were being loaded in and it was sitting on the tailgate and two people were about to stash it inside. I gave them my bag and jogged to the special needs run bag area and left that bag. After heading back to the park I realised I didn't have my timing chip. They announced that there were more chips down on the beach, so I fought my way through the crowd to the beach access. The chip table was right there so I was able to get another chip quickly, which was a good thing, because I noticed she wrote my race number and new chip number down and logged it as 6:58am. Two minutes before race start. I wove my way to the far left and into ankle deep water while the Star Spangled Banner played. When the song was over I knelt down and splashed water on my face and head, then stuck my head underwater to ensure my goggles were in place and wouldn't leak. And then all hell broke loose.
Swim
  • 1h 26m 56s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've started far left and far right in two IM's and really saw no difference in traffic. I think, based on that, it would be better to be on the inside and swim as short a course as possible because you're going to get beat up regardless. I noticed I had sustained a gash on the outside of my right big toe that I hoped wouldn't cause a problem later.
What would you do differently?:

I simply did as best I could. Cold water temp was not a factor for me but people who couldn't navigate was. You look up, find the buoy, and swim towards it. How hard can that be?
Transition 1
  • 10m 1s
Comments:

My goal was improved times in all areas including T times. My De Soto wetsuit comes off quickly but there's no reason not to let someone help you.

This year I wore a De Soto tri-suit under my wetsuit, so I only had to be shucked of my wetsuit, put on my socks and cycling shoes, grab my helmet and go. I suppose running faster would have made for a faster T1 time but I'm satisfied I did well enough.
Bike
  • 7h 54m 42s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.16 mile/hr
Comments:

The first lap was great. I hit my goal of 16mph average and never felt I was overdoing it. The one thing was my heart rate. From the start of the bike leg it was about 20 beats too high. I had the same issue doing an Oly a few weeks before. I tried to relax and not hammer it but it wouldn't come down. There was a fierce headwind comng back into town, and it seemed like anything in a southern or southwestern direction brought the wind. When I got back to town I suddenly felt wiped out. I had no power to peddle and thought I was in trouble, but I kept riding. Back into the hills I went, fighting fatigue but with a lower heart rate. I inched up the first two climbes and suddenly I felt fine, I made all the remaining hills no problem. At the last turn to bring me back into town a white Mustang passed me and then started riding its brakes. I was pissed. There wa an SUV coming in the opposite lane but I passed the Mustang on the left while the SUV went by. It was foolish but I didn't want to lose momentum. A rider came up on my left and said "nice pass."

I need to look into the heart rate thing. I have to get it down before I mount up even if that means sitting there for a minute or so longer. Plus, you can't get enough mileage in during training.
Transition 2
  • 05m 54s
Comments:

They do all the racking so it's not a worry.

Since I had the trisuit on I didn't need anything but my running shoes, ball cap, and sunglasses.
Run
  • 5h 36m 7s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out with a 10' run 1' walk strategy, but after a few miles it turned into a 9-1, then a 9-2, then whatever I felt like. I had no stiff joints or pain, but the raw spots from the swim and bike began to manifest. My neck always tightens up from the swim and bike angle and that was the only real issue. I continued to pick points to run to or walk to for the remainder of the course.

Honestly, I feel I could have run more and pushed myself, but at one point I walked past a guy who was running so I felt I was always going as fast as I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Space blanket and pizza. I walked around the recovery area for a bit but, really, I felt fine. I saw no reason to linger because I didn't need any assistance.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could have begun my IM training sooner in the year, and I actually did train less, but I also beat last years time by almost an hour. I don't know if more trainig would have helped or hurt. It is what it is. I was faster in all phases of this race including T1 and T2 so I'm not complaining. Besides, last year I was in pain immediately post-race and had to sit and scoot down stairs. This year I oculd walk stairs no problem and felt much less soreness. Bottom line for me= less training= faster time= greatly reduced post-race soreness.

Event comments:

The best thing about this year was getting to meet more BT people. Any time you can see a friendly face out on the course it helps. The Friday morning swim was enjoyable in that respect. I especially enjoyed time with Bonnie (leopard8996) and our Saturday mini-brick. I saw her multiple times out on the course. I'm taking a break from IM's for at least a year to concentrate on getting faster and being more competitive in my AG. Tri's are the best and rather then survive the long ones I want to try and win the short ones. By short I mean 70.3 and below, and by win I mean my AG. Not that I could excell at a 70.3 but considering how I felt after one swim lap, one bike lap, and one run lap of IMCDA I would place better, in my opinion, at the HIM distance.

Last updated: 2007-11-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:26:56 | 4224 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/205
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto Black Pearl T-1
Course: Double loop rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
07:54:42 | 112 miles | 14.16 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: 2 loop through town and out to the east end of the lake, then a turnaround back through town and out into the hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:36:07 | 26.2 miles | 12m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Two loops through the park, downtown, and residential areas then out along the lake and back. It's a very fun and scenic course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-25 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Subject: Ironman Coeur d'Alene

2008-06-25 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1489642

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene
Great job on another IM!! Way to hang in there on those low points and keep pushing!
2008-06-25 8:55 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job Jeff!! You put together a solid race and great improvements from last year. It was great meeting you and geeting a chance to hang out for a bit.
2008-06-26 3:06 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Congrats on a great race!  Wow, crazy story about the timing chip!!!
2008-06-26 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Congrats on a serious PR! It was a pleasure to meet you this weekend.  I have no doubts you can kick up a 70.3 AG win!
2008-06-26 7:39 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Congrats Ironman!  Wow, what a wild start to your race with the timing chip.  Crazy.  Great job pushing through the fatigue in the middle of the bike, and for beating last year's times in all events.  You da man! 

2008-06-26 11:33 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Congrats Ironman. . nice race.
2008-06-27 10:20 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Congrats on beating your time by an hour!  That's quite an improvement.

I've noticed too that the more races I do, the better I feel/recover afterwards.  After my first marathon ( just a marathon, not an IM ) I had to do the scooting stair bit too.    After this race, I was up and walking mostly normal by Tuesday, even on stairs.

Enjoy the downtime, and I hear you on the wanting to focus on 70.3 distance.  Definitely a lot less stress, and if you get fast(er) there, then step back up to 140.6, you'll be blazing. 

2008-06-27 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's great to meet BT people face to face.

2008-06-27 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Fantastic -- yours is the only IMCDA report I've read so far...but your comments are the end really resonate with me:

The best thing about this year was getting to meet more BT people. Any time you can see a friendly face out on the course it helps. The Friday morning swim was enjoyable in that respect. I especially enjoyed time with Bonnie (leopard8996) and our Saturday mini-brick. I saw her multiple times out on the course. I'm taking a break from IM's for at least a year to concentrate on getting faster and being more competitive in my AG. Tri's are the best and rather then survive the long ones I want to try and win the short ones. By short I mean 70.3 and below, and by win I mean my AG.

Yay, for meeting BT'ers and for concentrating on shorter distance 70.3 races in 2009. I feel the sme way about wanting to be competitive in the shorter distances than trying an IM distance just to "survive" it. I want to be faster, too, no just more long-suffering in my events (I was just explaining this in an Athena/Clyde topic on Body Image, responding, I think to comments by Bonnie (same as above at IMCDA with you) that it didn't matter if I finished in 17hrs. But That's just not my way.

So yeah, I think you can go great in your AG at 70.3's and wish you the best in 2009.

Good luck and thanks for the great RR, -Sunny

2008-06-27 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT
Congrats on a great race!!!!  It was great to meet  you and next time (yes, I said "next time"!), we'll spend more time together.  Congrats again!!!  Take very good care.

2008-06-28 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome race Jeff and congrats on the improvement You ROCK
2008-06-29 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Congratulations on a huge PR and a great race!  You did an awesome job!
2008-06-29 9:05 AM

User image

Regular
Fantastic job Ironman! You did AWESOME!
2008-06-29 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Awesome job Jeff!!!! It was great to hang out with you again pre-race. You looked like you were having a fantastic day Congrats on the major time improvement. Are you in for 2009?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Coeur d'Alene Rss Feed