Ultra-Fit
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m
Overall Rank = 87/116
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/15
Pre-race routine:

This was the first race that my wife and kids were going to attend, so the night before I was up til almost midnight getting everything ready... not just with my gear, but with their breakfasts, bikes, sunscreen, etc. etc.

The night before that was a cub scout campout, and I barely got any sleep that night.

Sunday morning, my "routine" was just getting the kids out of bed & in the car, and driving the 45 minutes to the race. ONce there, my wife and I took turns taking kids to the bathroom, giving them food, helping with their bikes, etc. It was not the best way to prepare for a race.
Event warmup:

None really
Swim
  • 12m 28s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lack of OWS experience. Nothing but being unprepared--- this was my first wetsuit swim, my first cold-water swim (63F) and only my 3rd OWS.
I had the OWS panic by the time I got to the first bouy. This time, at least, I recognized it and started swimming breast stroke... I got through the swim-- it seemed like it took forever, but my chip time is pretty fast (and I think either the timing or the course distance is off, because frankly, I don't swim that fast.

I must confess, I even stood up for a minute on the way back in. This just wasn't a good swim.

My wife and kids were cheering for me on the beach, so that lifted my spirits a bit as I stumbled toward T1
What would you do differently?:

More OWS experience, more wetsuit experience
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Exhausted from swim. Caught breath, took it slow.
Bike
  • 48m 57s
  • 13 miles
  • 15.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I am a slow slow man on the bike. I wasn't going to let it get me down today, so I just did my thing and did what I could.
What would you do differently?:

Ride more. Ride more. Ride more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

The highlight of my race. My kids had made signs like "Run Daddy Run" and "Swim Bike Run" and they were holding them up as I ran into T2. They were right on the outside of the transition area and both my older son and daughter asked "What took you so long?" That gave me (and the other folks still in T2) a good laugh.
Run
  • 25m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt wiped out, and it was getting hot. I just took it slow and picked up my pace slowly. Felt OK by the end of the run. Had a little bit of a sprint at the end.

So, I was all excited to finally have someone at the finish line cheering for me, and I cross the line to... nothing. The three year old had to poop, so my wife had to take him to the restrooms. Meanwhile the other two were riding bikes around the parking lot.
Post race
Warm down:

Found the family, had water. My kids were amazed by all the food and gatorade. They thought it was a buffet... so I got them some snacks, had a few my self.

Let the kids play on a playground while I loaded everything up..and we drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Under trained. Head not in the game.

Event comments:

It took me almost a month to write this race report. I have seen threads and comments on BT about post-race blues, and I caught it bad. It took me almost two weeks to want to even train again. I have been overeating, drinking more beer than usual, (gained 5 pounds) and avoiding even browsing BT. It's not like I want to throw in the towel, and I am finally coming out of it and looking for my next race. This took my by surprise, because I have not experienced this in my first 4 races. I think I am just disappointed in myself for not being able to improve my training levels. I have no aspirations of being on the podium, but ever since I have started triathlons, my training and performance have been constant. I don't seem to be able to commit any more time or money -- and I just felt really let down after this race.

But, enough wallowing.. time to HTFU.

Last updated: 2008-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:28 | 880 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 61/116
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full
Course: Loop parallel to shore line
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: