General Discussion Triathlon Talk » mega huge puddles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-26 4:30 PM

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: mega huge puddles

had to ride through some massive puddles today on my commute home. no issues with getting very, very wet but just worried that there is a point at which it is not safe to pedal through a certain depth because i'll just grind to a big halt and fall off.

any thoughts? 

2008-06-26 4:40 PM
in reply to: #1493043

User image

Veteran
HTFU, Virginia
Subject: RE: mega huge puddles
On some of the MTB trails I ride, there is either a moving stream that is about a foot deep or huge puddles/mud that are on the trail. I find that if there is a solid surface underneath the water (if you are road riding, for example) that I can get through just fine, pretty much any depth. Just keep pedaling.

Just my experience though, anyone else?
2008-06-26 7:11 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
1.) Be sure you can see the bottom. Puddles = potential potholes. You don't want to endo
2.) Watch burying the bike in water. Hubs and bottom bracket both take a severe beating. You can actually fill your rims with water; I've heard that Ksyriums will get water trapped between the spoke and bead layers and remain wet for a long time. They'll actually slosh.
3.) Loss of monemtum: Prepare for it before you get there. That resistance will definately take momentum away. You're going to have to power through it.
4.) If it's winter time, they could be frozen in sections. Best not to wrangle with ice or assume it's solid all the way across.

I find that on the MTB, I ride better when a stream is flowing rather than dried up. Not sure why, just that I do.

Edited by pitt83 2008-06-26 7:12 PM
2008-06-26 10:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Chaska, MN

I once rode my MTB through several miles of single track trail along a flooded river.  The only thing out of the water was the handle bars and seat!!!  There were 3 of us we rode in a line...if the leader ran into an obstacle the others went around.

It should be noted we were VERY VERY familar with this trail.  I would not do this if you don't know what's below.  We eventually stopped because we knew the section that was under 10-12 feet of water....I don't want to swim with the bike.

Also, I had a full tear down done at the end of that season....

It was probably the most fun I've had on a ride in a long time.....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » mega huge puddles Rss Feed