General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Complete noob looking for bike advice. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-27 11:03 AM

Subject: Complete noob looking for bike advice.
So I'm taking the plunge and actually asking this burning question-- what kind of bike should a complete newbie get if she isn't even sure if she wants to get seriously into this triathlon business? To clarify, I've run before semi-competitively (high school track) and can swim basically forever (thank you, lifeguarding), but I've never biked for anything other than for working out and for fun. I've also have not had my own bike since I moved 7 years ago (I've just been using family mountain bikes that are likely far too big for me.) So my question is (since I'm looking into purchasing my own bike), should I just buy a mountain bike and change the wheels, or should I buy a road bike that's on they very low end (like Denali's). I'm really looking to spend between $200-$300 or less, simply because I really don't know if I'll like this at all. I'm also willing to stomach losing that much if I do end up loving it and saving up for something really good. This bike will be used mainly for training and possibly my first race, if I ever get that far. I am only 19 and am looking to stay in good shape while giving me something to do/a goal to shoot for in college (I'm not a partier, so fitness has become an attractive hobby for the past year). Thanks in advance for your time, sorry if I'm being annoying.

2008-06-27 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1494403

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Subject: RE: Complete noob looking for bike advice.
Hey, good for you and welcome to the sport. The fact that you're a strong swimmer is a huge plus.

Bike selection is a very personal thing. I would get used road bike. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. A lot of bike shops carry used ones so go there first. If you buy a bike off ebay or craigslist, make sure you take a friend with you who knows bikes. Again, you don't need anything fancy. You can get a starter bike for $300 pretty easily.

Good luck!
2008-06-27 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
I agree with the "buy a road bike" advice. Get fitted at your LBS so you have an idea of what size you'll need. Then just watch the ads, Craigslist or Ebay. You can get a pretty good road bike used if you shop around.
2008-06-28 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

x3 on getting a used road bike. Is there any way you can beg, borrow or steal (but not really ) a road bike from someone? Or I would definitely check craigslist and your local bike shops - the shop guys might have a used bike or know someone who wants to sell. If you're patient and search around I'd bet you could find a decent road bike for less than $400 -- but if you see one you need to be quick, they go fast!

I know it's tempting to try to get a cheap new one but if it's crap and you don't like it then you'll never ride it and it's money wasted. Whereas if you get a decent bike that is your size, you may find you really like road riding. And if not, then you could resell it because affordable, decent road bikes are always in demand.

Good luck searching and welcome to the sport and BT!

2008-07-02 10:15 AM

Cape Girardeau

I really don't mean to steal this thread, but I couldn't help asking almost the same question but a little different. I am also new to Tri's, but I really enjoy cycling so I know I will keep up with it. I  really don't want to buy one bike just to turn right around and buy a better one. I know that I would need to spend about 2k for a good one. But, what are some main, important things I should look at when picking a bike out? Do you suggest for or against buying used like off ebay or trigeartrade.com? What aftermarket components are most valuable?

Thanks,

ElizaBeth 

2008-07-02 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1503917

Cape Girardeau
elizabethsparks2002 - 2008-07-02 10:15 AM

I really don't mean to steal this thread, but I couldn't help asking almost the same question but a little different. I am also new to Tri's, but I really enjoy cycling so I know I will keep up with it. I really don't want to buy one bike just to turn right around and buy a better one. I know that I would need to spend about 2k for a good one. But, what are some main, important things I should look at when picking a bike out? Do you suggest for or against buying used like off ebay or trigeartrade.com? What aftermarket components are most valuable?

Thanks,

ElizaBeth

I forgot to add some bikes I had looked at. I really like some of the features and extras on both bikes. Are these ok bikes to be looking at based on what I said earlier? I have also looked at the Argon 18, Cervelo p2c and p3c.  

I am 5'11'', 155lbs, 32-33" inseam....  

http://www.trigeartrade.com/index/images/item608.htm

http://www.trigeartrade.com/index/images/item1383.htm 

2008-07-02 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1503951

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
elizabethsparks2002 - 2008-07-02 10:25 AM

I really don't mean to steal this thread, but I couldn't help asking almost the same question but a little different. I am also new to Tri's, but I really enjoy cycling so I know I will keep up with it. I really don't want to buy one bike just to turn right around and buy a better one. I know that I would need to spend about 2k for a good one. But, what are some main, important things I should look at when picking a bike out? Do you suggest for or against buying used like off ebay or trigeartrade.com? What aftermarket components are most valuable?

Thanks,

ElizaBeth

I forgot to add some bikes I had looked at. I really like some of the features and extras on both bikes. Are these ok bikes to be looking at based on what I said earlier? I have also looked at the Argon 18, Cervelo p2c and p3c.  

Nothing wrong with the two bikes you linked, or the other three bikes you mention, but you will have to go used to stay under the $2K budget you identified.

I've bought frames off of ebay, there are deals to be found, but you have to know what you're looking for and, most importantly,  you have to know your size.

2008-07-02 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1504024

Cape Girardeau
the bear - 2008-07-02 10:56 AM
elizabethsparks2002 - 2008-07-02 10:25 AM

Thanks,

ElizaBeth

Nothing wrong with the two bikes you linked, or the other three bikes you mention, but you will have to go used to stay under the $2K budget you identified.

I've bought frames off of ebay, there are deals to be found, but you have to know what you're looking for and, most importantly, you have to know your size.

Ok, so you say that there isn't anything wrong with the ones I mentioned. I have talked to the owner of the 2007 Kuota K-factor(#1383 - white with black). He said new it was 2,200 and has added 900 worth of stuff to it. It is a Time Trial bike that was used 2 days a week.

The other Kuota is a DA/ULT, I have not talked to that owner, and not sure if it is a TT or Tri bike. 

Of these bikes, and then of the Cervelo and Argon 18, which do you think are better? I am not sure how they overall rank, and then if the add-ons of the one bike make it any better. I have also read the difference between TT and Tri bikes, but have since forgotten. Is the difference really going to make a difference for me in a race?

Sorry I have so many questions... 

Thanks,

ElizaBeth 

2008-07-02 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1504592

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
elizabethsparks2002 - 2008-07-02 1:58 PM 

Ok, so you say that there isn't anything wrong with the ones I mentioned. I have talked to the owner of the 2007 Kuota K-factor(#1383 - white with black). He said new it was 2,200 and has added 900 worth of stuff to it. It is a Time Trial bike that was used 2 days a week.

The other Kuota is a DA/ULT, I have not talked to that owner, and not sure if it is a TT or Tri bike. 

Of these bikes, and then of the Cervelo and Argon 18, which do you think are better? I am not sure how they overall rank, and then if the add-ons of the one bike make it any better. I have also read the difference between TT and Tri bikes, but have since forgotten. Is the difference really going to make a difference for me in a race?

Thanks,

ElizaBeth 

They're both tri bikes. The difference is that the TT bike has a slack seat angle, which may or may not make a diffeerence to you...

Again, I emphasize: neither of these bikes is going to be appropriate if it doesn't fit. I'm not seeing where either discloses the size...

None of the upgrades (base bar, aero bars, seat and cranks, the polar cs200ad and x-lab drink holder) are going to improve performance. The polar is a heart-rate monitor which may be nice to have, but not necessary. What they will porbably do, though, is push the bike out of your budget range.

I'll admit I don't know much about the Kuota or Argon bikes, but I am a big fan of Cervelos.

2008-07-03 2:12 AM
in reply to: #1504910

Cape Girardeau
the bear - 2008-07-02 3:41 PM
elizabethsparks2002 - 2008-07-02 1:58 PM

Thanks,

ElizaBeth

They're both tri bikes. The difference is that the TT bike has a slack seat angle, which may or may not make a diffeerence to you...

Again, I emphasize: neither of these bikes is going to be appropriate if it doesn't fit. I'm not seeing where either discloses the size...

None of the upgrades (base bar, aero bars, seat and cranks, the polar cs200ad and x-lab drink holder) are going to improve performance. The polar is a heart-rate monitor which may be nice to have, but not necessary. What they will porbably do, though, is push the bike out of your budget range.

I'll admit I don't know much about the Kuota or Argon bikes, but I am a big fan of Cervelos.

Thank you very much for all your help. I appreciate all of your advice and opinions!
2008-07-04 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Elizabeth,
Her eis a different idea for you that I have actually found to be very fun. I bought a used tri bike for $1000. It is not ideal but seems to work well. Over the last year I have done a LOT of tweaking to it. Changed crank, changed gear sets, changed wheels, tires etc etc and am getting to my ideal bike. While I have been doing this I have been getting into the sport so I can just bite off small chunks at a time. I figure I'll put in another year tweaking this bike then get the bike I really want and will know from experience and tweaking what exactly I am looking for. I have greatly enjoyed the "tweaking" but its also a cheaper way to get into it. Glad to see another newbie join the sport. Keep it up.

2008-07-04 8:59 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Susan, get the road bike!  It will serve you well enough and if you do not like triathlons or cycling, you will only be out $145. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Complete noob looking for bike advice. Rss Feed