General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are diet pills while training a bad idea Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-27 3:03 PM

Subject: Are diet pills while training a bad idea

Hi all, I ocassionaly use hydroxicut for women right before I do areobic work outs. They give me a lot energy to make it through hour plus work outs.

I am starting my training program tomorrow and wonder if it is a bad idea to use hydroxicut, or any enhancer while training. I really have mixed emotions about taking them to begin with because they mess with my sleep and I don't want to screw up my metobisim. but like i said, they give awesome energy and I've already spent the money on them and it is hard for me to waste them.

Advise?

2008-06-27 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1495149

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: Are diet pills while training a bad idea

Well, taking something like hydroxicut is kind of like taking speed (ok, basically is taking speed).  You bet your going to have a super amount of energy, but it's not really good for you.  Do you get palpitations with it at all?

I know you spent the money, but I would say flush 'em.  This is just my opinion.  And in the future, unless dr prescribed, I'd stay away from them in general.

2008-07-01 1:45 PM

Thanks maggyruth, I think I just needed someone to confirm what I had thought. I had bought them earlier this year when I was having a problem with weight coming off and getting defined even though I was working out like crazy (looking for something to help me over the edge.) But they were having an impact on my sleep so I stopped right away. I started taking them again two weeks ago and stopped 5 days later. But I think I will take your advice and just flush them so I am not temped to take them again. I guess it was an expensive lesson learned that there are no short cuts. (P.S. With in the past 2 months I have become much leaner, guess I just need patients and add more high intensity work outs, including training for a tri.)

2008-07-12 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1502176

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
What are the "active Ingedients" in the New Hydroxycut???
2008-07-13 9:15 AM

User image

Master
PA
All just my opinion....It's chemicals.  Just think of it that way.  You really have no idea what the heck that stuff is doing inside your body.  Keep it pure, your body will thank you.  I thought long & hard a few weeks ago about starting to take a product called Lean Out by Beverly International.  Active ingredient is chromium picolinate.  You have to be 100% on point with everything else in your diet or it's pretty much a waste.  Regardless, I ultimately decided not to for the very reasons I suggested to you above.
2008-07-16 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
I agree, get your energy from foods!

2008-07-20 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
I have had palpitations while taking some of the fat burners, but normally I don't have any problems with them. I recently quit taking them because I really don't see much benefit from taking them besides energy....but coffee does the same thing and is cheaper. I have found that being clean of most supplements except for a multi-vitamin and a recovery drink (protein shake) is when I feel best.
2008-07-30 6:39 PM

Oldsmar, FL

like most "diet aids", those "supplements" are garbage .... a big waste of money and like one of the previous posters said before, you do NOT know what they're doing to your body

mainly because there's not a lot of history on them to begin with

2008-08-07 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran

I know we've already addressed that they are bad, but for those who are thinking of taking any kind of diet pills/performance enhancers, be aware of the negatives.  I'm 26 now and as a wee college lad, I took the OLD hydroxycut (with Ephedra) for about 6 month.  I dropped 30 pounds, looked great and felt great during the day.  When it came to sleeping, no more then 4 hours a night.  Mornings were another challenge...

5 years later, I can't have more then one caffinated beverage or my hear starts to flutter (it feels like it's jumping around in my chest).  There are alot of BT'ers that will drink energy drinks and Starcubks Double Shots and all that stuff before a race, I can't imagine what it's like when they are coming down during the race. 

There are some things like Gel packs, energy bars, etc. that contain chemicals as well.  The key thing to remember is that you shouldn't have to rely anything them during your training / racing. I'd say keep it real, go all natural...Cool

2008-08-23 5:30 PM

I think I take the other side than the other people. You should base it on purely your bodies feelings and reactions to the drugs and training. I take ephedra stacks on days that my body doesn't feel up to it, with no problems. If you do begin to notice lack of sleep or anything else by all means discontinue immediately.
2008-08-24 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri

Chiming in with the others regarding the harmful effects.  I don't know about anyone else; but I tried to take something of the sort once and then went for a hilly bike ride & I thought I would never make it!  I couldn't get my heart rate down and ended taking a detour home while my husband finished our regular route.

It's best to get energy from proper nutrition and adequate sleep.

Good luck with your training!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are diet pills while training a bad idea Rss Feed