General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill Talk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-20 6:27 PM

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: Treadmill Talk

Let me start by stating that I despise treadmills.  I can hardly stand to be on them long enough to break a sweat.  There are few things I can think of that I would want to do less than run, but not actually go anywhere.  Unfortunately, a new job, new schedule, and an inch of snow on the ground in northern virginia (trust me, thats a lot around here) has forced me to put in some time on the human sized hamster wheel.  So, my question is this: Does anyone else feel that when running on a treadmill you are putting much more effort into it than if you were tearing up your neighborhood streets?  Yesterday, for instance, as I was building up my pace, I looked down to realize I was running a 7:30 pace, yet I already felt like I was in full sprint.  I can cruise around the neighborhood at 7:30 and not think twice about it, but when I'm on that dang treadmill its like a whole new world. 

Anyone else experience this?????

2005-01-20 6:58 PM
in reply to: #106432

Master
Boston
Subject: RE: Treadmill Talk
hi 3558- sorry, I don't have a response but I have to say I love your signature "It's better to be pissed off then pissed on. " Classic!
2005-01-20 7:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona

I have to say, I experience the same thing when running on a dreadmill.  It does feel like I am running much faster than the pace says, but if I monitor my heart rate, I am not exerting myself any more than if I was maintaining the stated pace outdoors.

I think it is partly a perception thing.  We feel like we are moving our legs faster b/c we are not moving, so we don't have the visual perception to back up the perceived effort we are putting out running.  Another hypothesis I have is that we shorten our strides when on a treadmill, so it takes more strides to maintain the same pace, but the body (i.e. HR) doesn't so any more effort b/c while we are taking more strides they are shorter.  For me personally, it is likely the second.  I have pretty long running strides, and the average dreadmill does not have a long enough bed for me to stretch out my stride to it natural stride - this also feels evident because it take me much longer to get into a good ryhthm/cadence on the dreadmill than out running the streets or a good trail.

Hope this is of some help!  Happy running!

- Tim

2005-01-20 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somerville
Hi 3558,

I find just the opposite. I can move on a treadmill with no resistance, and no hill (unless I put it right where I want it). I can train on a tread mill doint 7- 7:30 miles, but when race time comes, it feels like a total battle for every step outside. I have been running more outside over the last season (now trapped in side like you), but feel much differently about it. Maybe for the same reason you "despise" the treadmill, I know that I am never far away from where I started, so I can crank and not worry about being "too tired to get home".

That, and I think I was a hamster in a past life. If I could run a race in one of those big plastic balls, then watch out!

Sorry this isn't the confirmation you were looking for, but I just wanted to give the poor abused treadmill some love. And you know, the treadmill beats the couch in every single training plan that I know of.

Mike :-)

Edited by mlaugustine 2005-01-20 7:27 PM
2005-01-20 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Maine
I'm completely with you on this one. I just did 8 miles on the treadmill tonight, and even with the MP3 player and TV it felt like an eternity.  I've been on the treadmill for the last several months (I live in central Maine), and when I finally did an outside run this last Saturday I blew away my usual pace, even with hills.  Human sized hamster wheel, indeed.
2005-01-20 10:19 PM
in reply to: #106472

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
The treadmill is no worse than swimming a long distance. Today I did a hour without a fan blowing on me. I knew I should have stopped at the end of lap 1 but didn't. What a mistake as at minute 10 I could see the sweat drops rolling by on the running mat. I was scared I'd slip toward the end.Oh yeah, and the calebration is off on every treadmill at my gym. Todays machine was over 90 seconds behind my trusty Timex. I'm sure the speed and distance are off as well. I know the bike distance and average speed is very generous.

2005-01-21 1:27 AM

The treadmill always feels hard at first, but because of the monotony factor, once I warm up, I run much faster when I run on the treadmill than I would outside. Partly because my pace is right there for me to see, and mostly because intervals/speed break up the run. I have had my running PR's when I have been putting in the mile repeats on the treadmill. I actually really like it (I am a numbers person, like to know how far, how fast, etc.)
2005-01-21 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

There is a special place reserved in hell for treadmills.  I'm convinced of that.  I would rather run outside on a 0 degree day then run on one of those.  That being said, I find that they work good for speed work outs, especially for me because I'm pace sensing impaired.  I've never really noticed much of a difference between perceived pace indoors and outdoors, other then it seems like it takes forever to run indoors. (maybe there is soem time warp thing going on )

Chris

2005-01-28 8:33 AM

Roanoke, Virginia
I am glad to see someone from VA...I am in Southwest VA.

As for the treadmill, I hate it too, but sometimes it is a necessary evil. I pass the time by breaking the time up through little games...such as doing mile repeats, or where I start out jogging and then raise the speed 1 tenth every minute until I am running hard and then I lower it 1 tenth a minute until I have cooled down (you can easily burn up 30 or 40 minutes doing this and it feels a lot shorter because you are breaking it into smaller time chunks)

If you want to do a steady paced run you can always just cover the whole treadmill display with a towel, put on some music, tv, movie, and see how long you can go without looking at the time.

These things work for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill Talk Rss Feed