General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Patellar Tendonitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-21 9:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: Patellar Tendonitis

So around about 4 years ago (4 years this Sunday actually), I fell under the knife for yet another knee surgery (ACL - second time on the same knee).  The doctor harvested the graft for my new ACL from my opposite or "good" knee, since I already had a graft taken from my bad knee the first time around, about 5 years prior.  Well, I developed a little tendonitis in the patellar tendon of my "good" knee that had been doing really well until just recently with my new-found love of training.  It's not anything major, just annoying.  In the past I have just stretched really well and popped a couple of Alleve, but I was wondering if there was anything that y'all may know about avoiding it all together.  I'm going to try the little strap thingy that wraps the knee/tendon during exercise and see if that helps, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks!

Kupe

2005-01-22 6:22 PM
in reply to: #106580

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Patellar Tendonitis
Kupe,

I am currently living with patellar tendonitis too. I have seen 3 Ortho surgeons and will finally go and do some PT soon. I tried the strap under the knee cap and it only helped a little. The full brace only kept my knee cap in place. The first Dr said to bike and swim, the second said just spin on the bike for 10 mins and stretch for 30, and the third said STOP everything and go to PT! Hmm.......how's that for consistency!!

If you figure it all out, let me know!
Tony
2005-02-26 4:21 PM
in reply to: #107118

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Kupe,

How's the knee? I actually have been to Physically Therapy now for 4 weeks and it seems to be helping a little. He did give me a band for the tendon and that helps too. It is more of a large rubber band with straps vs. the "ACE", etc...kinds you find a drug stores. We are working to strenthen the tendon, quads, hams, etc...I have to do exercises 2x a day and PT 2x a week with him.

Hope you are finding relief.

Tony
2005-02-28 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Well, I didn't have to go the PT route, but it is getting better. Stretching, rest, Aleve, and the strap.  Hasn't given me any problems for a while.  Glad to hear you're doing better.
2005-02-28 11:45 AM

What is the name of the IT Strap you are using? It sounds very much like the PattStrap.

http://www.pattstrap.com
The PattStrap is 18 inches long by 1 ½ inches wide and is adjustable, migration resistant.
One Size Fits All.

The PattStrap relieves the stress and pain associated with Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS), and is a highly effective treatment alternative for Patella Tendonitis, Osgood Schlatter's Disease and Chondromalacia and many other knee ailments.

The PattStrap is easy to apply either above or below the knee, compression and support helps to alleviate pain, inflammation, and irritation.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Patellar Tendonitis Rss Feed