Green Brook Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 29s
Overall Rank = 55/459
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/34
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and had my standard breakfast = 1 can Ensure, 1 banana & some gatorade. Nina talked me out of riding my bike under the bridges to the 4am SI Ferry, so instead I took a ~$60 cab ride from home to the race. Met up w/Jonah and met some of his tri club buddies. Hung out A LOT - I really wish I had either shown up an hour later (got there at like 5:30) or that they had started earlier.
Swim
  • 07m 12s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good swim - given the beach run, I think I was around 1:20/100y, which is my racing benchmark. Started swimming into the BOPers from the wave in front of me about 1/2 way through the swim. Sighting was easy off the line of buouys. Quite the washing machine at the start, which may have been exacerbated by the fact that I didn't seed myself at the very front, and swam over a lot of my wave.
What would you do differently?:

Set up closer to the front
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Need to learn how to flying mount.

Long run in from the swim, but I was right next to the bike exit. Good running with my hand on the seat.
Bike
  • 34m 35s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.82 mile/hr
Comments:

First time I've ever held >20 mph in a race, which was cool to see. I thought that would be knocked down by the wind gusts on the first half of every lap.

It took me one full lap to get my heart rate under control - for some reason it went through the roof as soon as I got on the bike. After that, I was able to push a bigger gear and start dropping the hammer. I ended up picking up the pace on each successive lap, each time passing more people. Though the aero helmet/disc wheel crowd flew by me a few times - each time sporting M25-29 AG calves. Had no chance up catching them, though - so I just raced my race.

Drink more - I think that was the cause of my sub-par 1st lap.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Bike shoes off, running shoes & socks on, visor on, and I was out. I thankfully didn't have issues tying my shoes (yeah, yeah, I should get Yankz. Though my Zoot shoes have now arrived, so in the future that won't be a problem).

This transition felt noticeably faster than T1.
Run
  • 22m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, I had trouble finding a comfortable pace for about the 1st mile, but then my heart rate calmed down (again), and I was able to settle into a slightly uncomfortable cruising pace. Once we left the blacktop and got out onto the boardwalk, there was absolutely no shade. But there was plenty o' sun! Hit the first aid station, grabbed a cup that was advertised by volunteers as H20, and slammed it down. Nearly ralphed it back up, since I think it was HEED (which I do not like at all), but kept going. Hit the 2nd aid station at the turnaround, and when I said I wanted water splashed on me, those kids were on me like white on rice. Felt good, though. However running while entirely soaked seems to bring on the blisters. Finished strong, and kept increasing my pace throughout the run, as on the bike.

Nothing - pretty happy with this one.
Post race
Warm down:

Sucked down a bunch of ice & water, stood under the showers, then went to grab some food and pack up. Had a few pancakes and the biggest bagel man has ever made, then rode to the train station.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If anything, the wind gusts on the bike & the heat on the run.

Event comments:

Very solid race. Lots of fun - despite being on Staten Island (much more difficult to get to than I thought it would be when signing up). Safe course, very well planned.

Worst race t-shirt ever. 99% cotton/1% polyester ($80 for a sprint and not even a tech t-shirt), and it's a (pardon my french) wife beater! Oh well.

Nicely done, GBR.

Last updated: 2008-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:12 | 440 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 15/459
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU Full
Course: Swim includes a 150(ish) yard run up the beach to transition.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:19
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:35 | 12 miles | 20.82 mile/hr
Overall: 116/459
Wind: Some
Course: 3 x 4 mile out and back loop. A bit windy on the out portion.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:17 | 03.11 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 60/459
Course: HOT and SUNNY
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-29 8:26 AM

User image

Master
New York
Subject: Patanella's Flat as a PANCAKE

2008-06-29 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1497003

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Subject: RE: Patanella's Flat as a PANCAKE
X2 on the wife beater. T-shirts next year please !
2008-06-29 10:55 AM

Champion
South Jersey

I really need to see this race shirt!

Great job out there. I am glad Nina talked you into the cab ride. A 4 am ride under the bridge sounds SCARY!

Grr...sorry about that heed mix up. It's never happened to me but has happened to others. Not cool.

Take care .

2008-06-30 8:20 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
…and believe it or not, last year’s shirt was worse (same design, bright red). Did I miss you at the post-race pushup contest? How about the “best tattoo contest”? Did you skip that one also?

Heh. I love Staten Island.

Great race (esp the swim!) and nice meeting you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patanella's Flat as a PANCAKE Rss Feed