2008-07-20 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1540466

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: RE: Catfish Triathlon
How did everyone do?

Personally for me I met three goals w/ this tri:

1) swam entire length freestyle. (though I pulled myself too far right towards the end and eneded up wasting a minute or two trying to get back under the bridge to exit)

2) Averaged over 20MPH on the bike. (I haven't spent much time on the bike so it's a weak area for me)

3) Finished under 1:30 at 1:26 and change.

Nice to meet other BT'ers at the race. Weather perfect and overall pretty well organized and run. I'll be back next year for sure.

2008-07-20 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1497051

User image

This was my first race and I cant say that I have been exactly "motivated" to train lately.  I struggled a bit with the swim (had to breast stroke quite a bit) and came in at 24 min and change.   I started to get nervous during the swim when several pink caps caught up to me after starting several minutes behind.  Good transition and had a decent bike but was a it slower than pastoops, I beleive that I was around 19 mph avg according to the cyclocomp.  Second transition was fast and I really struggled on the run, probably around 9:45 /mi  Ended up coming in at 1:41 overall. 

I was content with my time considering I just learned how to swim 6 weeks ago and was riding a road bike I bought at walmart.  I had fun though and plan to do more races with my new training partners.  Four of us from work decided to do this race and rode and ran together fairly often. 

Biggest dissappointment of the race was that by the time I made my way over to the refreshments table the donuts were gone.  Frown

2008-07-20 6:22 PM

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
Nice meeting PASTOOPS this morning. And I already forgot the name of the Penn State grad who did the du today and at Pinchot in May, (help me out here). Wish I could have met some more BTers.

First tri. Time was 1:35:21. I'm looking forward to seeing the breakdown of the results when they are posted. Did the swim. Was worried as of 3 or so weeks ago, but I officially surmounted that obstacle; I can swim, I can swim, I can swim. Felt good on the bike, so I'm especially curious to see my time there. Probably should have tried to squeeze in a few more bricks; will make sure I get a couple done in prep for Boiling Springs on August 16th.

I've been riding pretty high having done my first tri. And this was the first event where I had some people cheering me on personally. All previous running events and the Pinchot Du in May happened on days that conflicted with other events that my family had to attend. I'm going to have to post a thread in the main forum; need to ring my bell and blow my horn, I'm so happy.
2008-07-21 7:34 AM

Newville, PA
I had a blast yesterday with my first Tri!

Sorry I didn’t get a chance to meet anyone, but I was really nervous and just trying to make sure that I didn’t make any mistakes or do something stupid. Now that I know what goes on, I will be more comfortable at my next race.

I’m waiting for the results to post because to tell you the truth I don’t know what my times were.

I decided that I didn’t want to push myself so much that I would be crawling to the finish line, so I took my time in the transitions. My wife got some nice pictures of me taking my time.

I had a total of 3 practice swims, but overall I think I did pretty well. I know that I didn’t do too well on the bike. So many people passed me and were ahead of me. I kept telling myself to not go too hard because I didn’t want to not have anything for the run. I think I went a bit TOO slow on the bike. My legs were alright, but my lower back started to kill me about ¾ of the way through. Between that and not pushing myself enough, cost me some time.

I finished the run strong.

Like I said, now that I know what to expect, I don’t think I will be as apprehensive in some things.

Congratulations everyone!

Keep in touch!
2008-07-21 11:06 AM

Helping your memory. It's me sdl135 (old PSU id). I did so much better yesterday than in May. Please post info on how to get to the new tri club please. Nice meeting you.
2008-07-21 11:39 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

It was good to meet some of you before the race.

I would have preferred to go faster on the run, but can't complain with my overall time.

This was only my 4th tri, but I thought is was the least organized out the 4.  Some improvement suggestions for the race organizers for next year:

1. Post better maps of the course online.
  2. List the location to pick up packets the day before the race online.
  3. Some sort of finish line sign so spectators can find it.  The first few finishers had to cross the line before the majority of the spectators realized where it was.
  4. Present the awards sooner.  The food table was torn down, the transition area was emptied and disassembled, and all the results had been posted for a long time before they were awarded.

These are just improvement suggestions, and I plan on doing it again next year.  This is a fun little race on a very fast course.

2008-07-21 11:54 AM

Newville, PA
I do have to agree with you on the 1st two suggestions. We didn't stick around for the awards - it seemed to be dragging on.

I'm glad you had a good race. I'm going to do it again next year as well.

Being my first one, I was glad to see that everyone was nice. I have been in situations before where some people can be real jerks or try to be intimidating (e.g. a gym), but this wasn't the case yesterday.

2008-07-21 6:01 PM
in reply to: #1545572

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
sdl135 - 2008-07-21 11:06 AM

Helping your memory. It's me sdl135 (old PSU id). I did so much better yesterday than in May. Please post info on how to get to the new tri club please. Nice meeting you.

Thank you. I knew it was a PSU ID. Here's the club info that I have...

James Rokowski
Lesley Gilotti

Central PA Triathlon Club

http://www.centralpatriathlon.org

I suggest sending them an email at [email protected]

I missed the intro meeting, and haven't met the above two people yet. They do OWS at Pinchot, which I haven't done as of yet, because I wasn't ready to do the swim. Well, that has changed (hooray) and I'm looking forward to some time in Pinchot.
2008-07-21 7:29 PM

User image

Anyone know how long it takes for the results to be posted?  I dont know any of my splits and am curious how I placed in AG and overall.
2008-07-22 6:08 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

My previous races have taken 2-4 days until the results were posted online.

2008-07-22 8:06 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Results are up!

2008-07-22 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1543694

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
wow, just learned how to swim 6 weeks ago?? You deserve a HUGE pat on the back for getting in that water! It's all about having fun and it sounds like you did. Training with a group is also a great way to stay motivated. (as is signing up for more races)

nice job!

2008-07-22 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1543820

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
nice work nxm165! Nice meeting you and hope to catch you at some more races!
2008-07-22 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Posted my race report. I agree with the points made on the forum regarding the better maps and where to pick up packets...that was somewhat unorganized but overall I felt good about the event. Definately coming back.

Catfish Tri Race Report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Catfish Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2