United States
Georgia Multisports
70F / 21C
Total Time = 2h 03m 54s
Overall Rank = 319/633
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 52/94
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 3:30. Ate 1/2 PB sandwich. Showered, stretched. Drank an Ensure on the way. Had some gatorade and water, although plenty hydrated from the day before. Bike check in was Saturday, so all I had to do was lay out my transition area and pump my tires. Well that turned out to be a lot more of a hastle than planned. Good thing I got there early. Tire valve broke, had to get the tube replaced by the Roswell Bicycles guys. Well they blew another tube and had to do it again. And it was the rear tire, so I was a little nervous about how it was going to hold up. Took it for a test spin and it seemed ok. I soon foud out it was not.
Event warmup:

I wanted to get a qucik warm up swim in, but I hate the idea of standing there all wet while I'm waiting for my wave to go. So I just hung out and chatted with cool chicks.
Swim
  • 11m 17s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I moved myself towards the front this time so I wouldn't have to climb over people. That worked fine until I started following the crowd after the first buoy. I wound up way further out than I needed to be. There was actually a lifeguard telling us to move closer to shore. I probably swam an extra 100 yards with all that. What a waste. I still managed to finish fairly strong. I don't have the breakdown, but it looks like I was about 19/54 in my AG. Still obviously my best of the three. Who would have thought.
What would you do differently?:

Not follow the crowd. I thought I started off well by being on the outside, but I turned out to be too far outside and I think it took me longer than it should have. Got a little frustrated in the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

First, transition included a giant concrete hill that we had to run up. Not fun. The transition itself, not too bad. Much better than last time. Didn't try to dry off or anything, just put my stuff on and ran with my bike. Took off, and thats when trouble started.

Maybe run more up the hill. It was tiring, I walked as most people were doing.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 7s
  • 19 miles
  • 14.59 mile/hr
Comments:

And this is where the blown tube came back to bite me in the @ss. For the first 1-2 minutes, I fought with the shoe cage. Very distracting. I couldn't keep pedaling and try to get my foot in at the same time. Finally get it in and not even a half mile into it, I drop my chain. Now there was no hills or anything at this point. I think I was just shifting. So I pulled over and fix it myslef. This is the first time this has happened on this bike, and it only happened once on my mountain bike, so I'm surprised and pleased that I was able to fix it and pretty quickly. I'm sure I lost 5-10 minutes on the bike though. I'd say a good 30 people passed me (including my friend Robin who I was trying to beat). The rest of the bike was good. Shifting was little off, but no serious issues. I actually caught up to a good number of people, even on the hills. I was really glad I got to ride the course prior to the race. I'm really good at going fast and I like it. :)

Not have anyone touch my bike before the race! j/k, it's no one's fault. These things happen to everyone. Just happen to be a very inoportune time. Not much else. Pretty happy with my time. 1 minute from my goal even with the dropped chain.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

My one advantage here is that I don't have cycling shoes (yet). So all I have to do is take off my helmet and put on my visor and race belt. And I remembered to run with my race belt this time.

Nothing.
Run
  • 30m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I could have done a little better with this. It was an out and back and the out was uphill. Yuck. No recovery time. Not much I would have really changed though.

Need to work on longer bricks. The typical 10 min. afther the bike isn't cutting it anymore. This is what needs to be worked on. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to do 9 min. miles at this point.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing particular. Waited in line for my results, had some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Chain and gearing. That bike should have been at least 8 min, faster. Longer runs after biking. Need to pick up speed. Not much else. Great weather, great supporters.

Event comments:

IMO, for a race that has so many first timers, I'm surprised thay have an 18 mi. bike. It would be quite easy to nix a couple streets and make it 15 or 16. Really great supporters and volunteers. I hear the post race food was good but I didn't stick around for it, I wanted some Cracker Barrel. Overall good set up. I love Lake Lanier, but they have got to do something about that hill up to T1. I'm sure I'll do it again, it was a great experience. And it was really nice to be one of the one's that cheered first timers on. I was happy to be that girl today. I think I'll have to do that more often.

Last updated: 2008-03-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:17 | 586 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/94
Overall: 105/633
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to Point
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:18:07 | 19 miles | 14.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 57/94
Overall: 378/633
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty hilly loop. Luckily I had done it twice before, so I knew which hills to fly down in order to pick up speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:18 | 03.11 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 48/94
Overall: 338/633
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back through the campground.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-29 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon

2008-06-30 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1497989

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Subject: RE: RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon

Good job.  Too bad about the chain.  You did not mention whether or not your caught your friend Robin after you got back on the bike.

2008-07-01 12:11 PM

User image

Elite
Tough luck on the bike portion. I have dropped a chain and then had to run up the hill because there was no way to gain enough momentum to start pedaling.
2008-07-02 12:29 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
How come I didn't know you were there? Bad on me!

Nice race. I see the addiction to Triathlon is full speed ahead. Awesome. Another one in the clutches.
2008-07-02 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA

Ha!  I was in your swim wave - good to hear that I was not the only one that was pulled off course by following the pack during the swim.  You'd think after watching all the other groups go out there and do it that we would have gotten it right.  Oh well!

Sounds like you had a really great race, minus the chain issues.  Great job! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon Rss Feed