General Discussion Race Reports! » General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianhead, MD, Maryland
United States
SetUp Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 56s
Overall Rank = 98/117
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/16
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:50am. Ate some pancakes and drank a coke on the way to the race. Felt very nervous about going into this race. Don't know if it was the nerves about the first ows or the fact that an international race was going on at the same time. Maybe I felt it was going to be more intense than I had prepared for. Glad to say that went away once we got there and I saw the other competators. We picked up our packets the day before and that was a good thing. We got there, set up our stations, got body marked in the T station (that was nice that there were volunteers in that area doing that), checked out the swim course, and then the pre race meeting started, so not too much standing around.
Event warmup:

none. People were swimming if they wanted though.
Swim
  • 21m 48s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

FIRST OWS EVER!!! and it wasn't bad at all. Jumping off the dock into the water was icky, we landed in on a soft feather-bed of slimy algae. Some people chose to stand in it verses treading water, but not me. YUCK. There was some floating broken hydrilla branches floating around. Somehow I was lined up in the front row. Horn sounded and we were off. I just put my head down and went. Was passed by lots of people starting off. Was bumped some but nothing too bad. I never freaked out or anything so I was very proud of myself. I actually liked having the people around me because I would see the yellow swim caps when I would breath and that gave me confidence that I was on course. I rounded the first buoy very close to the buoy and then the pack thinned out more. I kept my swimming consistent and ended the swim feeling just as strong as I started, so I was pleased with that. The last 200 meters were a jungle of hydrilla. I must have looked like a monster from the seaweed lagoon when I exited the water. I had it wrapped around my neck, stuck in my goggles and watch, down my top, just everywhere. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get away from it and eventually had to laugh. Here I was afraid of "slimy stuff" touching me and now I was wrapped in it!! I'm glad I could laugh and not freak out! Overall I was extremely pleased with my swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not line up in the front.
Transition 1
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

There was easily a 250m run from the water to the bikes, so it made for a very long T1 time. Aside from picking seaweed off my body, my T1 went very well. One exception, there was a water misting tent set up and I made the mistake of running through it. No sooner had I stepped under it than I sank a good 3 inches into the mud. I was covered from toes to knees. Luckily I had a water bottle waiting at my station to rinse off my feet. Chose to forego the socks, no problems. Once I got to my bikes I took a quick glance to see that Doug was already out, rinsed off my feet, bike shoes on, Gu's in pocket, glasses and helmet on, and I was off.

STAY OUT OF THE MUD!!!
Bike
  • 58m
  • 16 miles
  • 16.55 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike computer showed an average of 17.0mph, so I'm going with that. I felt that I rocked on the bike. There were some tough hills at the beginning, but once you were over those it was flat and fast. I was going between 17 and 23 on the flats. Passed lots of people until the international group joined the course, but even then I was keeping them in my sights. Gear changing was very smooth. New seat helped so much, kept my knees in and heels down. Dead deer from the day before was gone (all except the smell!!!). Lots of new roadkill. Saw at least 3 people with mechanical trouble. One poor guy was changing a flat right at the mount station. Saw a guy wearing an IPod and two people flat out walking their bikes.

Not push so hard, I had nothing left for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Good transition. Had the socks pre-rolled and that worked very well. Love the new zapps/zipps (or whatever they're called) quick tie laces. grabbed the race belt and put it on while I was running out.

nothing, went very well.
Run
  • 40m 6s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, once again I sucked at the run. This time I can't blame it on surgery. I pushed it too hard on the bike and my upper abs were killing me. I had to run/walk the first mile just to give my heart rate time to slow down and recover from the bike. After that I was running pathetically slow.

BRICKS, BRICKS, BRICKS, BRICKS, BRICKS and maybe some bricks!!!
Post race
Warm down:

lots of water, watched the awards. Good time. Nice party, best post race activities I've been to.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

crappy running!!!

Event comments:

Race started late but that was due to the rescue boats arriving late so not a big deal. Very friendly people, well organized. Good race. This most definitely was the most "bonding with nature" race I've ever done. Starting with the monster seaweed, then the abundance of roadkill, ending with the crosscountry running, I have bonded. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:48 | 820 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/16
Overall: 0/117
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit
Course: a triangle course counter clockwise. Jumped off the dock (water start) lapped the buoys once, and exited the water on a boat ramp
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:19
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:00 | 16 miles | 16.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 0/117
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: three hills starting off, then flat and fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:06 | 03.11 miles | 12m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 16/117
Performance: Bad
Course: out and back. started on the road, then through the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-30 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1498294

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon

Great job, sounds like it was alot of fun.  Awesome on the first OWS!

LoL, I hope there were pics of  the seaweed "monster" coming out of the waterLaughing

2008-06-30 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Terrific job out there yesterday!  I must have been chasing you the whole day.  BTW, you need to fix your overall time.  It's showing 8 hrs 30 min?  Must be 2 hrs, right?
2008-06-30 8:47 AM

Congrats on the race! I was volunteering down there, body-marking out by the main building where packet pick-up was and probably cut your timing chip off of you, as I got to see everyone come through the finish chute. Yes, everyone was covered with weeds coming out of the water (I was on dock duty for the swim as well)- it was pretty funny! That happened to me at my last race.

And I'm pretty sure you finished in under 8 hours Typo?

2008-06-30 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Congratulations Tracey. Your run must have been really slow because I see your overall time was over 8 hours. (I'm sure ithat is a typo or are you just practicing writing down the time for an Ironman> :-)

Edited by Redknight 2008-06-30 9:04 AM
2008-06-30 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
oops, I entered the race start time.  I know I was slow but.............................  thanks for catching that. How embarassing!!!!

Edited by tahrens 2008-06-30 9:13 AM

2008-06-30 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
great job Tracy!  Congrats on your first OWS.
2008-06-30 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
Congrats Tracy, I was victim of the seaweed monster when I jumped in off the dock.  I came up and a guy to my right goes "dude!  you've got seaweed on your head already."  Got a good chuckle out of that.
2008-06-30 10:39 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

THE "SEAWEED" MONTSTER DOES IT AGAIN!!

Great race!

2008-06-30 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Great race, Tracy!  So brave to do your first OWS in a race.  I wish I had written down all the BTers numbers and names before I got there so I could have met you in person!  (and I forgot to wear my BT tattoos). 

Laurie 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed