General Discussion Race Reports! » Rogue Trail Series #3 - The Saint 30K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rogue Trail Series #3 - The Saint 30K - Run30k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
RogueRunning
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 26m 43s
Overall Rank = 84/137
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Overslept and woke up at 6am, the time i was supposed to leave for the race. Had Jess make me a cup of coffee while i put my gear in the car. Decided the night before to wear my camelback for water because i was worried about the heat and humidity. 70oz. of liquid and 6 gels for the race. Got to the race with about 20min to spare.
Event warmup:

Just decided to go out in the top 50 runners, not the top 10. Wanted to keep my initial pace slow, mid 8's to 9, and use the race as a warm-up.
Run
  • 3h 26m 43s
  • 18.6 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out slowly, probably about a 8 and a half pace. First lap felt pretty easy. Second lap didn't feel too bad, but my camelback was aggravating my shoulders and neck, so i dumped it at the end of lap 2. Also started feeling the first cramping twinges in various leg muscles. By the end of lap 3 i'm having trouble running for more than 30 seconds at a time because of cramping. AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH! stinkin' cramps. Even with 70oz camelback with Gu20 in it, and 3 electrolyte tablets in it, i'm still cramping.

Had a Heed drink, and a coke drink at the last aid station, which gave me gas immediately. I don't know which one is the culprit.
What would you do differently?:

I ran a 24mile trail run 2wks ago, over 4.5 hrs, and didn't have ANY cramping. Used a different drink with the same number of gelsand the temp was about the same, so, I have to look at my hydration and food/gel intake in more detail.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around with wife Jess, son Isaac and daughter Saida. Glad to be done with my 30k's for a while. Felt pretty beat at the end, but much better than the previous 30k.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping.

Last updated: 2008-01-25 12:00 AM
Running
03:26:43 | 18.6 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 84/137
Performance: Below average
L1- 1:03:27 L2- 1:06:35 L3- 1:16:41
Course: St. Stephen's School campus and the surrounding hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 8:54 AM

User image

Austin, Tx.
Subject: Rogue Trail Series #3 - The Saint 30K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rogue Trail Series #3 - The Saint 30K Rss Feed