General Discussion Race Reports! » MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morgantown, West Virginia
United States
HFP Racing
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 35m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

ate a bagel and had a diet dew
Swim
  • 51m 46s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

this was a very slow swim for me. The current was very bad and it just seemed like it wouldnt end. I didnt get tired but got bored with it. There was some debris in the water and actually dodged this giant log once
Transition 1
  • 05m 16s
Comments:

I did bring socks to help with me feet on the running trail...it is rough and my poor little feet are sensitive.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.35 mile/hr
Comments:

The course is a pretty fast course. Since GOBA all I have thought about was hammering a bike during a race because I am on it for 56 miles and the time I will save on the bike will be better then running faster on the run? Thought it sounded like good logic. I started out prolly averaging about 22MPH or so.....I climbed the hills hard and the first loop seemed to go really fast...no pain at all....I am on the second loop and a couple hills really slowed me down in the end but I flew down them and they are pretty long. My computer wasnt working so I had no idea of my speed or the distance so not sure if that helped or hurt. I know I hurt after! It started to rain about half into the course and at this crazy turn in the road they said it's slippery slow down and while I was getting there I saw 6 people wipe out...they slowed but it was just that slippery from the rain. As we got alittle further down after that turn all I heard from a dude coming toward me was in the road....I looked up and there was this drowned rat looking raccoon....I dont know if he was so sick or just scared of all the bikes....he was creeping acrossed the road head in the air...it was crazy? Then again as we were almost back to the finish we start crossing this bridge and there are geese crossing the road. N
What would you do differently?:

I wouldnt go this hard again....I like to have fun when I race and I didnt have fun
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 2h 44m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I dont like this run course and I really dont know why it seems like it is so much longer then it really is. The hills come at about mile 5 and last for about a mile. I dont know if anyone can climb thru the gates to hell but I didnt see anyone! I felt great the first 3-4 miles better then expected and I thougt cool....that was worth it. I was so ready to get off the bike and run because my bike legs were tired and needed a change! So after the first loop I get about a half mile and my right hip is just killing me. The muscle right behing my knees....between my calf and hamstrings on both legs also are just cramping and I try to run then I walk....I take a gel and a water and go again. I couldnt wait to get done. The last climb of the hill was so hard for me.....my hip hurt to walk even going down the hill. When I got to the finish I was geeked about my time! I grabbed some ice packs from the medics and stuck them in my shorts for my hip and that helped some. Now I am thinking shit....I have to drive 255 miles home!
What would you do differently?:

I wouldnt go that hard on the bike again
Post race

Last updated: 2008-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:46 | 1931 meters | 02m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: one lap course
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:16
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:36 | 56 miles | 19.35 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: two loop course
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:44:38 | 13.1 miles | 12m 34s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: I hate this course.....it seems like it is 20 miles!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 9:35 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Subject: MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Half Ironman

2008-07-01 6:40 AM
in reply to: #1498520

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Half Ironman

Congrats on your finish!  You really smoked the bike! Cool 

Nice wildlife spotting - that WV for you! Laughing

Killer run, and I certainly wouldn't have been looking forward to that long drive home afterwards.

2008-07-01 12:20 PM

User image

Elite
Great bike leg out there. Was your hip tight? I have really tight hips that I have to constantly stretch, as a result of ITBS which was caused in my case my running on roads that slope to one side.
2008-07-01 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
You had a great bike on that course! I only wish I could ride that fast. It is definitely a fine balance between how much you can give on the bike and still make it through a run that involves a hill with a devil face on it. You held in there though.

Great job!
2010-08-05 10:20 PM

User image

nice bike awesome profile pic
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed