General Discussion Race Reports! » General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indian Head, MD, Maryland
United States
Setup Events
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 52m 17s
Overall Rank = 49/117
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition area and mulled around. Talked with friend, David. Talked with Luna CHIX that I've met through their group rides in Arlington.

Although website and packet info said transition would close at 8am, they forced us out at 7:40am when my wave didn't go off until 8:39am. The Olympic distance race was supposed to start at 8:00am but didn't go until about 8:10am. I don't think my wave went off until 8:48am or so.

Walked up and down the boat ramp to get an idea of where I should stand up and where to get out safely and for a good place to put my shoes. Talked with David and his friend, Bob.
Event warmup:

I was not getting into 85 degree water for a warmup. I'd be overheated if I did.
Swim
  • 13m 50s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The "washing machine" freaks me out, so I stay out of the mix. Started to the far right of the field at an angle from the first buoy. Got to the first buoy with just a few swimmers from the wave (Athenas, all Age Group Women, Relays). By the final buoy, I was finishing and swimming through lots of caps from the two prior waves.
What would you do differently?:

I think my sighting could have been better, and I was checking where I was going every 10 strokes or so. Really should have been 15-20 strokes in between sightings.
Transition 1
  • 04m 49s
Comments:

I left my running shoes and socks with a towel to the side of the boat ramp as we exited the swim. Since I was riding with them and don't have clipless pedals yet, it made sense to put them on there since there was a 250m run on concrete to the transition area.

I took a little more time getting on the bike than I should have, but not bad for me.
Bike
  • 58m 44s
  • 16 miles
  • 16.35 mile/hr
Comments:

One one hill, my gears jumped and I shifted down too quickly and had no more gears to finish getting to the top. And it wasn't that steep of a hill either, so I just need more hill work. Had to hop off, so I stopped for a drink and walked a few steps.

I also don't think I was in high enough gears during the flats because I was trying to spin efficiently and not fry my legs before the run. Some of the Olympic folks passed me like I was standing still. Downhills were fun.

More riding and more hill practice.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I ride in my running shoes, so I only have to take my helmet and gloves off and put my visor and race belt on. Good transition for me.
Run
  • 33m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked the majority of the hill out of the park. Just could not get the legs to go. At mile 1 marker, my watch said 12 minutes. Yuck. Once I got on the main road and out of the park, I ran a lot more. I ran when I felt like running and walked when I felt like walking. Never saw another mile marker, so I don't know what my other splits were. Once we got in the shade again, I ran a lot more. At the point where I could hear the announcer and music through the woods, an Athena passed me so I tried to keep up with her and ran to the finish.

Run more hills. Walk less. Not let another Athena pass me!
Post race
Warm down:

They had a cooling tent set up, so I sat under the cold water for a few minutes and drank water. Really did not want food yet but I really wanted a shower, so got my stuff out of transition and headed for the shower hoping it wasn't crowded. No one was in there - awesome! Had it all to myself!

Finally got in the food line after pushing more water and powerade. Started to see white spots again in my line of vision while waiting in the line for food, so I know I was close to heat exhaustion again like the day before.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being in the heat the day before. Not enough hill training.

Event comments:

I really like this race. It's only about an hour away, very little traffic on the roads, only about 500 entrants total for both races, and a nice venue. I dropped 10 minutes from last year's time, so I am happy with this race.

2nd place Athena, 49th overall out of 117 women. The 1st place Athena beat me by 15 seconds. The third place Athena must have been right behind me, because I only beat her by 9 seconds.

Last updated: 2008-02-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:50 | 820 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 13/117
Performance: Good
Rounded far buoy at about 6 mins.
Suit: One-piece trisuit
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:58:44 | 16 miles | 16.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 60/117
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Winding, sloping hills and a few turns. Lots of mature trees and shade on a majority of the course. Police direction at the turns where they had stopped traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:50 | 03.11 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 91/117
Performance: Below average
Course: First section out of the park is a continuous uphill. Then onto the main road for long downhill & uphill & turnaround. Turn back into back end of park and run down gravel road, across wooden bridge, to finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
Subject: General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-30 12:57 PM
in reply to: #1498587

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Subject: RE: General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon
Great job out there yesterday!
2008-06-30 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
fabulous swim.  Maybe some day I'll be as good as you!!
2008-06-30 10:32 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Great race!  Congratulations!

super swim!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed