General Discussion Race Reports! » MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morgantown, West Virginia
United States
HFP Racing
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 03m 45s
Overall Rank = 100/180
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15, showered, and drove the 70 miles to Morgantown. Ate cereal, banana, and an apple, and had a large McDonald's coffee (I think I'll have a medium next time - see below) and a bottle of water on the way.
Event warmup:

Just did a short run for about 5 mins about 1 hour before my wave started. Transition was closed a full 45 mins before my wave, so had to have my wetsuit on a little earlier than I wanted.
Swim
  • 36m 55s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

1st time wearing my wetsuit in a race, so it took a couple hundred yards to get my balance right, but after that I was happy with how effortless it was. I only wore it once before.

Wave started off not too bad, only a little bumping and grinding, but then we rounded the first set of buoys, right into the path of the swimmers doing the Half, so it got more congested. I'm sure there's no perfect way to time the wave start times, but it seems to me that the Olympic could have waited just a little longer to stop that congestion there.

Stayed fairly straight, but drifted somewhat. I was happy when I finally sighted the dock, but it seemed to take forever to get there! Now I was really drifting too close to shore, so I finally had the brilliant idea to breathe on my right so I could keep my eye on where I was, and that took care of that.

My only main issue was needing to take a leak! The wetsuit was pushing on my bladder, so I tried a couple times and couldn't do it. I guess I'll need to practice that! :)

My foot cramped up as I pulled myself up on the dock, but that didn't last too long.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. Lack of dedication to this really shows. I'm much slower than last year, so it's time to get the finger out!
Transition 1
  • 04m 36s
Comments:

Long 1/4 mile run from the dock into the garage for T1. I was worn out, so I walked some going up the ramp, then finally got into a jog. This time was included in the swim.

Didn't want to run too much with my bike shoes on because this was in a parking garage, and I didn't want to slip.

Practice getting the wetsuit off better, but otherwise no issues other than me being slow!
Bike
  • 1h 16m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.49 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my best event, obviously aided by my new bike. Speaking of that, I would highly recommend riding a bike more than once before a race! LOL!

Started off fine, but almost immediately my aerodrink went crooked, and the rubber bands popped the lid off, so I was getting showered with Accelerade! Eventually between what dumped out on the bumps, and what I drank, it quit pouring out on me. But during the whole race, I had to keep fidgeting with the lid to keep putting it back on, and tilting the bottle to get a drink. Extremely annoying.

Used a couple guys doing the Half to pace me out of transition for the first few miles. As I turned onto the 40k course, the first long hill started. I knew it was coming, so I was fine. Since it was only the 2nd time using bar end shifters, I had to keep thinking which way would make it easier or harder - what a dolt!

Went by a good number of people throughout the whole ride, and probably got passed by a couple. Got a little congested with bikers and cars at the top of the 5 mile hill, then again at the turn around. The course went into Pennsylvania, so that was cool!

Just after I crested the hill on the back half, the rain came down pretty hard. I was now on a downhill, and feeling very uncomfortable in aero, so I sat up and crouched, with a hand easing the brake on and off, just as if I was on my mountain bike. At the bottom I went back into aero, and that's where my bike suddenly sprouted propellers! Just like that I was whizzing by all these other guys, and I didn't even feel like I was pushing too hard. Very cool!

Ended up getting caught up behind about 4 others bikes for the last couple miles. We were back on the rough stuff, on the small road, and the bikers going back out for the Half were coming the other way, so there was no opportunity to pass, so I eased back and had a gel here.

Overall happy with how the bike went, and I'm looking forward to getting to ride it more now.

Ride a bike more than once before a race.
Learn to use the aerodrink and set up ahead of time!
Get more comfortable in the aero position in all conditions so I can stay down longer.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No times listed for T2, but based on the bike and run times, it must be included in the run.

Just practice more, not too bad here. Took it easy on the slick concrete.
Run
  • 1h 05m 44s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the wheels fell off. I came out fine and on the pace I wanted of about 8:45-9:00/mi. Somewhere between 2 and 3 miles, Akustix was going the other way and yelled out Go BT! Very cool and that cheered me up!

Eventually my pace went up to around 9:20 by the 5 mile mark. But then you make a turn, and the hills hit for the last 1 1/2 miles. I wasn't ready for that at all. I made a bad mistake in virtually all my training by training on a flat trail, instead of hills. So I got about halfway up the first, to just past the guy in the Devil costume and had to walk the rest of the way up that one.

That became the pattern for the rest of the run. I had nothing left for the hills at all, and ended up walking up most of the way up each one. I was real disappointed in that.

The only time I got a chuckle was on a downhill, I was ready to turn right to keep going down hill, until a policeman pointed me left up the hill. I said, "I'll give you a five if you let me go down!"

Finally the last 0.2 miles were downhill, so I was able to finish with a bit of kick.

Train more!

Run has really been off this year, just like the swim, so I need to work harder overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and stretched - finally hit the port-o-potty. Had some food and met Akustix and his wife and boys.

Stayed for a while and cheered on the other Olympic and Half finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall lack of training this year. I lost momentum last fall, and it took a while to get it back late winter. Since then it's been pretty sporadic, and it really showed for this first race of the year.

My goal was 3:00 hours, which I just missed. It was also my first Olympic, 2nd time on my new bike, and 2nd time wearing a wetsuit, so with some work, this will be the low point, and I'll improve moving forward.

Event comments:

Good time overall. Excellent parking in the garage - right above transition, but then it was a 1/4 mile or so walk back from the finish.

Didn't like the road they put us on for the start and finish of the bike. I thought it was too rough and narrow since bikes were going in both directions there.

Last updated: 2008-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:55 | 1640 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 122/180
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Counter clockwise loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:29 | 24.85 miles | 19.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 65/180
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Started off pretty bumpy for a couple miles (and then finished along the same bumpy road). Overall pretty smooth though. Long 5 mile uphill on the first half, then a shorter, steeper uphill on the back half.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:05:44 | 06.55 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 111/180
Performance: Bad
Course: 5 miles nice and flat along the river followed by 1.5 miles of hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-06-30 4:44 PM
in reply to: #1498993

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Bob - Nice day out there man and glad you liked teh new bike. You are right gonna take a little while to build up the handling and stuff.

Not sure how you manage to drink accelarade that studd makes me puke. Get in to pool more and run more before your next race and you will eaily take 20 mins off your time. 

Good job all aroud for the first race of the season!

2008-06-30 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
It's good to get that first Oly out of the way, huh?  Now what???  HIM?  IM?  Don't you hate when people ask you that.  Hehe.  Great job out there!
2008-06-30 6:12 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Great job despite some challenges. With a little more experience on the bike and the kind of training you want to do you'll take a good chunk out of your time. I hope your recovery is fast.
2008-07-01 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Nice race report!  Good job on your first Olympic, especially with not getting as much training!
2008-07-01 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Wow - nice race!!

And just your second time on your bike and you're already almost pulling 20mph average?  Nicely done.  I wish I could even get close to that...

2008-07-01 8:43 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Nice RR Bob - I think you're going to be flying on the bike after using it some more.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed