World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 29s
Overall Rank = 43/633
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/111
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:00am, dressed, made waffle and left the house at 4:30. I like getting to races early, so we ended up parking around 5:10...and in the close lot instead of the far, far away one. Yeah for that. Got body marked, took bike for a mini spin to the potties and set up t-area. Had to convince a few women on my rack to turn their bike around since 4 people were all facing the same direction. One girl was annoyed and another was very nice- it was her first race! Rack was really crowded with some people taking enough room for a yard sale, but it was all ok- just a little humorous. This is why I like to claim my spot early!

Headed down to the beach around 6:45, talked to a friends Dad(aka. Speedo man) and hung out with the NAMC girls until the start.
Event warmup:

Nada
Swim
  • 09m 47s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim overall. Lined up in a good spot, front row pretty much straight behind the 1st buoy. Pushed hard till the buoy and settled. I kept pace with another girl the majority of the swim until we caught up to the waves in front of us. Then she navigated better and got away- dang! Had a few issues navigating around people since I didn't want to just plow through, but it wasn't too bad. Kinda felt some fatigue towards the end, but this is a race, right?

My goal for the swim was a 1:40 pace, and I hit that. But I also figured that with that pace, I'd have a 9:04 for the swim- I must have estimated using the wrong distance. My watch said 8:50 when I exited the water, but there was a short run to the mat..in sand and uphill. Whatever, I''m happy with my swim overall.
What would you do differently?:

Continue to push it the first 100 yds or so in a race. I liked how that worked. Avoid getting too comfortable during the swim...keep my pace up especially during shorter races.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Blah! I hate T1 on this course. This was my 4th race that uses this venue so I knew there was a suck-fest hill during T1. I think I'd committed to walking up it this time. In the past I'll run a bit, then end up walking as fast as those running. I think I got a bit lazy here since I didn't run until I got to the top of the hill.

It was cool that they were passing out little golf towels at the top of the hill(that had ducks on them). I think i wiped my face with it, I can't remember. They also put duck foot prints 'walking' up the hill into the T-area. I loved that since ducks are my favorite(non-domestic) animal!

Don't get lazy on this hill anymore.
T1- 59/633
Bike
  • 1h 00m 59s
  • 19 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall a good bike, but this course is HARD! First off, they are doing construction in the park so the ride started off with some rough roads...not terrible though. Settled into a good speed about mile 2. I knew this was a hilly route, but I guess I forgot its constant hills then recover before the next hills. It's a tough one. MOst of the bike couse was pretty crowded, I got a little annoyed that people were riding all over the road...but most people moved over with an 'on your left'- others didn't. I think I was only passed by 2 people that I remember neither of them were in my AG. I tried to give some encouragement to the girls that were walking their bikes up some of the hills, that would have been a tough ride on some of the single speed bikes we saw! Finally made it back to the park and picked up some time. There was no traffic there like at last years race- woohoo! Ate a Gu to get a little boost for the run.

Not too much. I think I could have pushed a little more, but not sure I could have hit the 19mph I'd set as a goal. If I had, I would have moved up about 30 spots in the overall bike ranking.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I don't feel like I piddled around, but my time seems a bit slow. Not sure why, maybe the way transition was set up. Overall, good though...and I just noticed that I was faster than the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place overall. So I won't complain. Hey, if i can beat them, I can at least have a faster T2 time!

T2- 12/633
Run
  • 26m 16s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall a good run. I wasn't really paying too much attention to my time so I was surprised I was running a sub-8:00 or so at mile 1. I only noticed the minutes on my watch not seconds..so I don't know my exact split. But regardless, that's good for me. Kept feeling OK until I wussed out and walked about 20 sec up a hill after mile 1. I really need to learn to suck it up. I was having some quad cramps- which isn't normal. But still, I'm a baby when it comes to hills. Hit the turnaround and still felt pretty good, but getting tired. Saw Nora a little after the turn and didn't want her to pass me. I also saw a girl up ahead in my AG who kept stopping to stretch. I wanted to try passing her, but I couldn't seem to. I thought for sure I could since she kept stopping...but she got away.Continued to keep pushing, passed Heather and Kirks water stop again and had around 1 mile left. Sometime between mile 2 & 3, I watched 2, maybe 3 girls in my AG pass me, walked up a hill really close to the end and got a little boost from another girl in my AG.(I talked to her at the finish and told her thanks, she said I'd done the same for her at Emerald Point last fall. Cool that she recognized me still!!). Anyways, finally hit the mini-hill into the parking lot and finished.

Suck it up. I'm really happy with my run time here, but I need to really work on my mental toughness on runs. I know it's supposed to hurt and all, but I just talk myself into walking way too easily. I hate to keep letting races slip away because of that! So even though I'm please with the time, I know I could do much better!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water and walked over to find people. Watched others finished then hung around for a while. They had a cool picture 'both' set up that they'd take your picture with the Aflac Duck and it looks like hes crossing the finish with you. We had a bunch taken, I'm excited to see them!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crowded bike course, maybe? Nothing much...just need to work on staying positive especially during the run.

Event comments:

I really do like this race! It's organized and fun, plus racing with all girls is awesome. They also do a lot of cool stuff like- printed race results at the finish, lots of pink everywhere, lots of IronGirl branded freebies at the expo, 'fake' mimosas at the finish.

I think my only complaint is that they could do a little better going over some beginner rules for triathlon- how and where to set up your t-area, where to rack your bike, rules about passing on the bike, etc. Maybe they did do this and no one listened. Who knows.

Last updated: 2007-11-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:47 | 586 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/111
Overall: 24/633
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: L-shape- out to first buoy, then parallel to shore back in
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:00:59 | 19 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/111
Overall: 45/633
Wind: Some
Course: Hill, Recover, Hill, Recover, Big Hill, Recover
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:16 | 03 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/111
Overall: 156/633
Course: Out and back through the campground
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: AFLAC Iron Girl Triathlon

2008-06-30 5:52 PM
in reply to: #1499475

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: RE: AFLAC Iron Girl Triathlon
Awesome job, Courtney! Once again your training paid off and you rocked this race! How much longer are we in the same AG? Congrats on a great race.
2008-06-30 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1500227

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Good job.   I enjoyed the report.   I see you beat last years time by four minutes.
2008-07-01 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA

You really did awesome at this race, just like every race you do. I dont think i have ever heard you have a bad race. You really do pull it together on race day, way to go. I too have to work on the mental toughness on the run. I am finding it really slows me down. None the less, you are very good at this sport and at motivating other people to be faster and better!

Great race report!

2008-07-01 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Woodstock
You kicked butt out there! Nice job on the race- you are getting so fast!
2008-07-01 9:14 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Great race! I was going to yell at you "Don't run like a duck" when you were coming out of T2, but somehow with it being the AFLAC Iron Girl running like a duck seemed appropriate (for the record you didn't look like a duck when I saw you ).

You are getting wicked fast, good to see you using your swim as a weapon.

2008-07-01 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

As always, you rocked it.  Great RR and great job out there.

Quack, quack!

2008-07-01 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
You smoked that race!  Great job!!!
2008-07-01 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Great race, you looked really strong out there.
2008-07-01 10:25 AM

User image

Elite

Shucks.....you're faaaaast!

I enjoy reading your race reports because I always learn something.  For example...Ducks are your favorite (non-domestic) animal.    Nice.

Great race!  Well done!

2008-07-02 10:21 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
How fitting that this was the random quote at the top of the page when I read your report...Random quote: It is our will and not our strength that is being tried - Lyndon B. Johnson

You clearly have the strength.

We are the hardest critics of ourselves as Triathlete's. I too beat myself up to no end when I walk in a race. Often I set a training and racing goal of "no walking". Sometimes it means REALLY SLOWING DOWN, but no walking. I had a guy tell me one time that to get over this, he would simply tell himself to "back off 20%" for a couple minutes. I don't know if it is psycological or what but it really works. And the cool thing is after about 30 seconds I start to feel fine and can go again. I have been trying it in training and I like it. Also, it isn't hard to get going again like it is when you walk. Give it a try.

Anyway, you still had a fantastic race. You T2 was blazing! Any pointers you can give, I seriously need to work on my T's.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » AFLAC Iron Girl Triathlon Rss Feed