General Discussion Triathlon Talk » piriformis syndrome Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-30 3:55 PM

Regular
Subject: piriformis syndrome
Last august i tore my illital band bad hamstring tear and have been doing pt and all kind of stuff it was so painful in that i had to drop out of ironman 70.3 boise idaho this june my money down the tubes,so my question is noe its my piriformis muscle is killing me when i wake up and i know that its mashing the hell out of my siacta nerve what do i do im ready to start training again,wanting to gid rid of this pain through my buttock region and it runs down to my foot people say tennis balls and stretching but i have spent alot of money on massage therapy and pt appointments need help wanting to do ironman new orleans next year im a full time firefighter and the pain just hurts

(IM000562.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IM000562.JPG (60KB - 20 downloads)

2008-06-30 10:07 PM
in reply to: #1499891

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: piriformis syndrome
Stretch, stretch, and stretch some more. Lower back and core strenghtening...and the hardest thing of all...rest.

Mine was bothering me, had an MRI and they found a ruptured disc.
2008-07-02 11:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL

I've been dealing with several overuse injuries from last season including ITBS and Piriformis.  I've been in and out of PT and Drs too.  The things that have helped the most is ART by at PT and Trigger Point massage by a CMT.  Stretching also helps.  Also check out this video on using a foam rollar to release it.  I tried it yesterday and I think it really helped.  And while you are at it you can roll your IT band too!

Are you doing core work regularly?  I think that's my biggest weakness and one of the reasons I've been having so many injury issues. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgHpK29BDHA

2008-07-03 8:46 AM

I had a very similar experience.  In late January I tore my IT band.  Unfortunately, it was April before my Dr. did an MRI.  I've had PT and all of that, but without a doubt the best thing was rest, stretching (really learning to stretch) and changing my running style.  Running with my feet more turned in (straight) and knees closer together has helped tremendously.  With 5 weeks of no running or cycling and a regular swimming load I am 100% healed and back on a normal 7-9 hour per week training plan with no pain.  The hardest thing to do is rest, but I'm convinced that is the key. Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » piriformis syndrome Rss Feed