Kinship
61F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 10m 49s
Overall Rank = 5/118
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/31
Pre-race routine:

Got up, ate a crappy bagel with too-sweet cream cheese, and a granola bar. Gathered things and drove an hour from the hotel to the race site. Ate a clif bar and set up the transition area.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 08m 12s
  • 587 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

There's no way that was a 1/3 mile swim. It had to be shorter than that. The swim was pretty shallow and lots of people walked for quite a bit of the way. It was frustrating swimming along and not going much faster than those that were walking through chest-deep water. I also had a difficult time getting into a rhythm. I couldn't slow my breathing down and stood up a number of times to catch my breath. About 1/3 through the swim I was able to start breathing regularly on the left side, but I couldn't breath slow enough to breathe bilaterally and that was frustrating.

I passed people regularly, so there wasn't much drafting to do, and I quickly made it back to shore. I made the mistake of standing up too early and quickly saw how tiring walking through the deep water was.

Exited the water and made my way up the hill to the transition area. Time was taken at the top of the hill at the entrance to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Practice ows more... much more.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 time is lumped into the bike. No problems at all here except on the gravel road down to the highway. I got into some softer stuff and even up on to the grass a little. It didn't really hurt my time more than a second or two though.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 33m 29s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike computer said my average speed was 22.5 since that didn't include T1 or T2. Bike time was ended while leaving T2.

Was in 2nd place overall through about 1.25 miles into the bike and 3rd place until about 8 miles in. Came in 4th overall.

Had a very good bike leg. It was a little windy, but not too bad. Tail wind going east was great and kept the speed between 27 and 30. Even with the crosswind going south and headwind going west, I kept up a good pace and made a conscious effort to push myself.

While taking my feet out of my shoes, my right shoe unclipped and was dangling from my toe. Somehow I was able to keep it from falling off and tumbling into the ditch and then proceeded to more carefully get out of the shoes again... I need to change the tension on my clips. That was the biggest problem on the bike.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 time was included in the bike leg. Didn't have a reference point for where my transition area was and lost a couple seconds finding it. T2 was pretty quick otherwise.

Look more carefully for my spot. Otherwise, nothing.
Run
  • 29m 9s
  • 3.8 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Stomach wasn't feeling the greatest during the run. Alternated with feeling good and really wanting to walk. Sometimes that cycle would come and go in a matter of a minute or so. Kept plodding along at an ok pace. I don't think my pace varied all that much from the beginning to the end. I tried to pick up the pace a few times, and may have done so moderately, but I just couldn't push myself any faster. Looking at mile markers I know my 2nd mile was about 7 minutes as was the 3rd. The first and last .8 must have been slower.

Passed a kid who flew on the bike but ran slowly, but got passed by Dave and another guy. I kept them in sight, but just couldn't pick up the pace to catch them.

Collapsed at the finish.

Train more. Then train more still.
Post race
Warm down:

lay on the ground. Get a hug. Have pictures taken. Stagger about. Stretch when I've already cooled down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough OWS training and not enough running and speed work.

Event comments:

I enjoyed this race quite a lot and was very happy with the result. It's small, laid back, and maybe short in the swim, but pretty well organized and the volunteers were great. I would love to do it again.

T-shirt was pretty ugly though. Ugh.

Last updated: 2008-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:12 | 587 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/31
Overall: 8/118
Performance: Average
Suit: 2-piece tri suit
Course: Out and back around buoys in a straight line at an angle out from shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:29 | 12 miles | 21.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/31
Overall: 3/118
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Clockwise around Little Pine Lake on county roads. Gravel road to and from the highway from the transition area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:09 | 03.8 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/31
Overall: 22/118
Performance: Average
Course: Paved trails out to a loop and then back. Few small hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: Average Joe Triathlon

2008-06-30 11:36 PM
in reply to: #1500007

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Average Joe Triathlon
Let's see if I can get these pictures to work.

My ineptitude at putting on swim caps makes me look like I can arch my eyebrow in an inquisitive manner.
My crooked swim cap makes me look like I can arch my eyebrow

A pretty decent T2
A fast T2

Too tired to appreciate the tons of beautiful oak trees I've been running through. Almost there...
The end is in sight

She's great. She gives me a hug after each race even though I'm disgusting and am too tired to smile.
Too exhausted to smile, but happy.

A real medal, and a real ugly color for a race shirt.
Yep, that medal is real

Someone took a picture with Dave, Tim, and I, but I don't seem to have it. Oh well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Average Joe Triathlon Rss Feed