97F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 27m 29s
Overall Rank = 246/484
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

My first Oly distance race. Woohoo!

T1 set-up occurred the day before the race. It was then that I discovered my 2 flat tires and bad rim tape job. So I racked my bike by the saddle with both wheels missing. It was very much the most jacked-up looking bike sitting in transition. People were pointing and laughing...my poor bike.

The morning of the race I set up T2 (it was a point-to-point event) and then hopped on the very first bus up to the reservoir so that I could get my bike put back together and take it for a test spin. I spent the left over time relaxing on the shore with my sweetie pie and chatting with fellow training partners.
Event warmup:

Quick test ride on the bike. Short swim. That's about it.
Swim
  • 29m 54s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

About 3 weeks ago the water temp was hovering just over 53°F. Race day was almost 65°F. Wow! I definitely did not need my full-sleeve. I was in the 2nd wave and started in the front inside corner. I thought that I stood a good chance of getting totally plowed over, but it never happened. The bummer is that it was hard to find someone to draft off of. I passed plenty of people from wave 1, and a few from wave 3 shot past me towards the end. Average pace swim for me, but I'm happy with it. Easy pace and I wasn't out of breath coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Draft better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Fastest T1 time in my division. I'm sort of a transition nazi. Free speed, you know? I did have one screw up though. Since this is a point-to-point race, you have to pack all of your items into a plastic bag and tie it up before you can run your bike out. I shoved all of my things into the bag and double knotted it...then looked down to see my bright red beach towel sitting under my helmet and bike shoes. Doh!

Obviously, pack everything into the bag before tying it all up.
Bike
  • 1h 37m 24s
  • 28 miles
  • 17.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, the bike course was super fun! Great terrain, however, the road surface pretty much sucks. Rough chip seal type stuff. With big-ass holes in random places. I almost hit one at 30 mph. One of those 6-inch diameter ones that look like they go to the center of the earth. They should mark those...

Anyway, I came out of the water fairly early so I didn't have many people to chase down. I got passed by mostly dudes and only a few women. Towards the end I started passing people though. My max speed on the downhill was 39.9 mph. FUN!!!! I came up on a fellow-Cervelo rider who was trying to rock Zipps and a sperm helmet. He was hugging the yellow line with no one around him and would not move to the right for me. I kept screaming at him, "hey coming up behind you, move over please, on your left, coming up on your left, DUDE MOVE THE F*&K OVER!!!!" He finally gave me a few inches of room, passed me on the next uphill, and then got a flat about a mile later. Karma's a biatch, ain't it.

I slipped my feet out of my bike shoes right before the last hill coming into transition.

Better hydration. I ended up with my aero-bottle gone, but my GU2O bottle totally full. Whoops. Not good when temps were approaching 100 degrees.

I really wanted a faster bike split, but I did what I could. More riding this winter and I'll crush it next year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

2nd fast transition in my division. I would have been faster, but there was an aid station before the chip mat and I stopped to drink like 4 cups of water and douse my body with a wet towel.

I also almost had a collision with a chic who was running out of transition the wrong direction. With her head down. Directly towards me and my bike as I was running in. She wasn't exactly running in a straight line so I couldn't avoid her. I kept yelling at her to watch it, but she didn't stop until I basically stiff-armed her. I gave her a "damn girl, watch where you're going next time" and then laughed as she tried to exit through the entrance. I think the heat was making people do silly things.

Now that I have the "feet out of shoes" bit worked out, I need to figure out how to hop off while moving.
Run
  • 1h 16m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Big sucky suckfest. I had to walk about 100 yards after leaving transition. My heart rate was sky high, I was sweating so much that drops were coming off my finger tips, and my breathing was way out of control. Every time there was a bit of shade I would walk to maximize my time in it, then I would jog through the sunny parts. I also walked the aid stations and would drink 2 cups and dump 1 on my head. No ice or sponges, which was a major bummer. However, Sunriver residents came out of their homes to give us water, shoot us with super soakers, and set up sprinklers on the course. That was awesome!

My friend Kevin from the gym caught up to me at mile 3. At the time, I was STANDING under a sprinkler staring off into space. Not even moving forward. I'm glad he caught me because he stuck with me to the end and kept me going.

People were on the side of the course for the last quarter mile to the finish line, which was motivating. Lots of music and energy to get you in there. Unfortunately I forgot to hop into the cool showers, because I was focused on finding my dude. Who was waiting for me with a sno-cone. Fantastic!

Train in the heat more. If we ever had heat in Portland. Between now and my half ironman I'm going to switch my runs from 5am to 5pm when I can.
Post race
Warm down:

Sno-cone and waited for friends to cross the finish line. Then we found some shade and watched them give out awards. I assumed that I was in the bottom half of my division due to the crappy run, so when they called my name I was beyond shocked. That was a nice end to the day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No doubt, the heat. And hydration, or rather, lack of it.

Event comments:

This venue really is awesome. The volunteers are great. The run course is stocked with tons of water stations. The expo has lots of vendors. And obviously the weather conditions can't be helped, but they dealt with it quite well. The med tent was packed full at the end of the day, but it appeared that everyone was being attended to.

As a last note, there was a death on the swim that morning. Details are still sketchy, but it is reported that the man swam to a jet ski and said that he was in trouble. He then passed out and was brought to shore where CPR was started. Some friends of mine witnessed the incident as they were finishing up the swim, which had to have been awful. Efforts to revive him were not successful and he was pronounced dead at the scene. My thoughts and prayers for his friends and family, who were also there that morning. Very sad.

The rest of the photos from the weekend are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/SarahDBryant/200806PacCrest

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:54 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 144/484
Performance: Average
Suit: Full-sleeve ProMotion
Course: 1 loop in Wikkiup Reservoir.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:37:24 | 28 miles | 17.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 242/484
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Rollers, one hill that lasted about 2.5 miles, screaming freakin-fun downhills, more rollers, and one last mini-hill into transition.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:16:32 | 06.21 miles | 12m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 369/484
Performance: Bad
Course: A loop through Sunriver village.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Subject: Pacific Crest Olympic Triathlon

2008-06-30 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1500494

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: Pacific Crest Olympic Triathlon

You Rock Girl! Congrats on your third place finish, and on your first Oly!!! The heat really sucks it out of me too. I'm not sure how Shaun does it Guess it's just a matter of acclimating, but damn is it hard to make yourself get out there and run when it's in the 80s and 90s! Awesome job!!! 

2008-07-01 10:24 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Great job girlie girl!!!!!  Transition nazi!  Ha ha ha ha!!!!!  That makes me laugh!!!  You are a girl after my own heart!  I'm always yelling at people to get the f$^& outta my way!  Sheesh!  Some people think they own the whole damn road!   Great job on your first oly!  Maybe we will both be there next year!  Cheers!
2008-07-01 8:49 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Podium in your first Oly! You rock!
2008-07-01 9:12 PM
in reply to: #1502987

User image

Master
State of Confusion

FANTASTIC JOB!! You got hardware? That is great! Great! Great!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Crest Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed