General Discussion Race Reports! » Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ventura, California
United States
Breath of Life Ventura
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 00m 49s
Overall Rank = 317/373
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 45/48
Pre-race routine:

Get plenty of rest and relax and have fun , plan was to enjoy the swim at a training pace and pick up the pace on the beach after the swim .
Event warmup:

None, Since its a long enough race and with no wetsuit i stayed warm on the beach with an old throwaway tshirt .
A few curious folks in wetsuits asked if i was going swimming with the t shirt on LOL
that made me laugh. I did the old marathon trick of tossing extra clothing away at the start line.
Swim
  • 37m 21s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

This is the part of the race I hate , So i relaxed and went at my pace and enjoyed the swim . Did not try to go fast but just cruise at my sustainable pace and make sure i dont swim any extra yardage due to poor sighting.

What would you do differently?:

Not much it was a huge improvement over last year.

Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

Great T1 ran the whole way up the beach and out onto the bike mount line.
Put on shoes socks , shirt Hr monitor , gu s for the ride and a tube and cartridge in shirt back pocket

NAda
Faster than year
Bike
  • 1h 12m 37s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.53 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where the race starts for me and i had a great bike leg where i hammered hard the whole time passed only by TT bike with very fit folks onboard. Passed many and tons of sprint folks .

I should rig up the gu and the spare kit for the bike so i dont have to load them during my transition.
Faster than last year
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

This went so fast it was a blur , ran in with bike and out to run start.

Faster than last year
Run
  • 1h 05m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

My HR was not that high but my legs could not turn over any faster . I guess i left a lot on the bike course and was running on fumes at this point .
Its my marathon pace so i not should be surprised , but i was really hoping i could run 9 min miles like in my recent half marathon.

2.5 k splits were 15:05 15:26 16:24 AND 18:45 SO I was getting tired .

Keep working on the bricks and drop some LBS ...
Still faster than last year.
Post race
Warm down:

Changed into dry clothes and Beer and burger and some stretching.
Hit the beach after the race and it got sunny around 2 pm

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I dropped 14 mins from last year , So improved fitness and better race preparation played a big part .

Event comments:

Got plenty of rest and did not work out too hard this week so i had plenty of energy for this years Race . Also took the swim at a confortable pace awoiding traffic and only started my RACE once i hit the beach on the way back from the swim. Maybe should do last brick 2 days before the race instead of the day before.

Last updated: 2008-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:21 | 1500 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 44/48
Overall: 48/373
Performance: Average
my watch goofed up at the race start .Went into a weird mode i could not get out of and the yellow caps , my wave, were all running to the water . I got it going during the bike leg so i was able to pick up my T2 time and the run splits . No wetsuit. Water was a nice 62F and pretty calm. I know wetsuit is faster but i get HOt and claustrophobic in it last year and just wanted it off . My time was faster this year without it and the long run up the beach was a lot easier ..
Suit: Nope
Course: C shape . Out about 400 m turn 700m along shore and 400m back in
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:37 | 24.85 miles | 20.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/48
Overall: 49/373
Performance: Good
151-160
Wind: Some
Course: Flat And FAst a couple of very subtle off flats and 1 small roller in the loops
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:05:31 | 06.21 miles | 10m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/48
Overall: 49/373
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat along the shore to County fairgrounds and back twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-01 2:03 AM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Subject: Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

2008-07-02 12:40 AM
in reply to: #1501009

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA
Subject: RE: Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Hey! I sometimes don't leave notes by race reports because, me, myself, I often miss them, never going back to look at the report page. So sometimes I think other people miss comments left in race report pages too. But I did read yours and thought I'd leave a note!

Good job on the swim, especially considering you didn't give it your all! That's a really good time you made, holding at 2:29 for 37 mins! Just ridiculous isn't it? To think of swimming that fast for so long! And that wasn't even full throttle!?

Kudos to you for running all the way up the beach...I think I ran maybe 1/4 of the way! That was some hard work there!

Maybe you could make your T1 faster by putting your hr monitor on before the swim? I wear mine in the pool alot; the data isn't always great, but at least you won't have to deal with it during T1.

14 min improvement over last year is HUGE! So big congrats on that!

Wish I had known the family was joining you later; woulda hung out to meet everyone!

2008-07-02 11:26 AM

User image

Santa Clarita, ca
Congrats on the improvement over last year's race... that's what it's all about (and the beer garden doesn't hurt either, right?)

You seemed to have the same race technique I did: survive the swim, and the real race starts with the bike. One day, though, I'll actually feel like I'm racing during the swim as well. One day...
2008-07-06 1:01 AM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

I really am happy with the time improvement and how the whole race went .    I busted my right shoulder hard into the boards at a hockey game 3 weeks before the race  and was  worried i would have to switch to the sprint or even drop out as my shoulder was sore for   days afterwards . The pain made it  also harder to sleep.  This injury brought my training to a standstill .  But it slowly came back and felt 100%  with a week to go.

I had a very unpleasant experience last year with the wetsuit where after a decent start in freestyle  i got too hot and found it very restrictive during the swim. I could not breathe and wanted to take it off a half mile off shore.  I now only use it when water temp is below 60F. 

Thanks for all the tips .
I have swam with the HR monitor in the pool a few times but for it to stay in place it has to be on REally tight .  I was wearing the watch receptor from the get go and so just added the strap and transmitter at T1.   I will try goos taped to the bike frame .  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed