General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flovilla, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 13s
Overall Rank = 109/461
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/29
Pre-race routine:

I just knew it was going to be one of those days when got in the shower and forgot my razor, then my wife locked herself out of the hotel while taking the dog out. Jumping in and out of the shower twice just sent up an little red flag in my mind.

Breakfast bar & water, then I went for a quick warm up jog.

When we got to check in, I had forgotten my USAT card and ID, so I had to jog back to the car. Another red flag. I could just tell that today, was not going to me my day.
Event warmup:

The jog back to the car served as warmup. Then, I jumped in and did a quick 100-150m in the lake.
Swim
  • 14m 37s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim course was nicely marked, with a bouy at every 100 meters, and a large bouy at each turn (2x).

The swim went fine for the first 100 meters, but after that the wheels just fell off the bus. I could not find my rhythm, I could not get a proper breath rhythm down, no drafting at all. My sighting went well as I used the other swimmers mostly, then spoting of the bouys, and the shore line.

I just felt flat the entire swim, and by the time I came out of the water I was drained.

I had just hit the 300 meter mark when I saw the first swimmer of the next wave come by. I swear he was strapped to a motor-boat. VRRROOOOOOM
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. I will work on my OWS this weekend at the lake. Perhaps I need to relax, and get in rhythm.
Transition 1
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

T1 went fine. I was drained from the poor swim, and even the run to T1 seemed tiring for some reason. Everything clicked off in T1 just as planned, but it seemed slow.

Nothing
Bike
  • 39m 37s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 19.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I am not sure who's race report said there were only two hills on this course, but it seemed to go up, flat, up flat, up flat, etc....all the way out. I thought that the way back would be flying, but for some reason, it also had hills on it. I don't think it helped that my legs felt flat the entire time. I just could not find that next gear to drop into.

Right before entering the park I saw the medics working on a bike wreak. The guy (Michael Eddy) was on a back board getting strapped in. I felt so bad for the guy, and hoped he would be alright. Received an update email last night that stated:

"We want to follow up with information on an athlete who was involved in a bike wreck during the race and give you his status. Michael Eddy was involved in the wreck and was evacuated to Macon Medical Center to get treatment Saturday. He sustained some cuts and bruises and his most serious injury was a puncture wound to his hip. We spoke with Michael earlier today and are very pleased to pass on the good news that he checked out of Macon Medical on Saturday and plans to be back racing soon.

We appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers for Michael and his family as we all wish him a speedy and full recovery."

Speedy recovery Michael

Not sure
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

About a quarter of a mile from T2 a group of TT bikes caught me (gota get me one of those), and with all the sharp turns it was a adventure getting to the dismount line. The entire group unstrapped, feet on shoes, and ready for dismount. The group when to the inside, and it looked like a mad dash to get their legs swung over to dismount. About 25-30 feet from dismount I swung over to one side, and let my speed bring me up to the line. I went wide (right next to the yellow line), and had a clear spot. Jumped off and took off running around everyone. As I rounded the group I heard the ref say "clean dismount everyone". It is cool, I came to the dismount line just behind the group, and in several pictures I am leading the group in T2.

Nothing, T2 felt fine, just a bit slow. My speed muscles were not on that day.
Run
  • 22m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

After finishing the run, the course makes sence, but being the first time running it during the race I was like where and in hell am I going. All-in-all, I had a poor effort in the run, but looking back my thoughts were pretty funny at the time.

Coming out of T2, there was a group of four guys in front of me. Through out the run I passed all but one (more on him later). The run seemed up and down, flat, blah, blah, blah. I was running, and running, and running and I thought to myself that they must not have mile marks out, and I must be around the 1.5 mile mark. WRONG, hold sh*t, there is the one mile marker. Well, as everyone stated there are two loops through the camp grounds where the hills lay and wait. There was an aid station handing out water at the top of each campground. I grabbed a cup of water, quick sip, and dumped the rest on my head. Down, and around to the first hill. Yes, it was steep, but not too bad. I powered up it, and out of the first loop. As I came out of the first loop I saw my brother about to head in. A quick wave, and I was off to the next one. Well, there was another aid station at the top, and I reached for water, missed, it dropped to the ground I said thank you to the guy and pushed on. In my head I was thinking "damn, I really needed that". Oh well, on-ward. Down the hill, and around to the base of hill number 2. WTF is this? I thought this was a running course, not a mountain climbing track. I had to go up on my toes to power up that bad boy. That hill was no joke. As I came out of that second loop, I was my other two buddies heading past and preparing for the fun of the first loop. WOO-HOO!! As I passed the Joe (my buddy) I got his normal "this sucks" remark. That made me laugh.

Shortly after that I saw the grass entry which meant the finish was around the corner. I dropped it in the next gear, as I need to finish this race. At this point, I was trying to catch the guy that I had been running after the entire run. As I rounded the corner to the finish, I dropped the hammer (where the hell have you been Mr. Hammer), and got up to sprint speed. Well, if I found the hammer gear about .25 of a mile earlier, I would have caught the guy, but too little too late. Oh well, all I could think was were my extra gears had been?

I even reached down and took the chip off for the catchers. I had not earned the right to ask them to get it for me.

Nothing really, look for my extra gears before the final 100 meters of the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, orange, bannana

Wait of the rest of my group to finish, then talk about the race. Our group has grown to four now. So, we were all telling stories about some part of the race. Then, we all went out to eat and laught some more.

As I went out for the run, a volunteer that was handing out water called out Hiawassee (referring to Beast of the East) that he and I raced a few weeks ago. After the race, I went back and talked to him for a bit. Great guy, and new friend. He was going to race Indian Springs, but had dropped a sleg-hammer on his toe on Tuesday, and could not run. So, he came down to hand out water. Did I say he was a good guy? I look forward to racing him again.

Thanks for that water (again)!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I tired something different this week. I did not taper at all. Basically, I continued to train without any taper off before the race. I had no issues finishing the distance (just like a training day), but I did not have the extra gas in the legs, nor gear to drop into. Next race, I will make sure to taper.

Event comments:

I want to take all the volunteers and race director! They did a wonderful job out there. This is by far the most organized race that I have done thus far this year. Plenty of aid stations, turns marked, etc...GREAT JOB!!

Last updated: 2008-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:37 | 656 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/461
Performance: Bad
Suit: NO
Course: Out 200 meters, hang a left, down 300 meters, hang another left and 100 meters in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:37 | 12.8 miles | 19.39 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Out and back course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:20 | 03.1 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: All sorts of crazy running around. Through the woods, around a tree and down the road, around a camp fire or two.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-01 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park

2008-07-01 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1501201

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park
Congrats on your day..Nice recap of the flying dismount..That swim got me last year, too.
2008-07-01 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1501201

User image

Veteran
Norcross, Georgia
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park

Congrats on a great race!  I blacked out the hills due to the trauma they inflected on me.

Props for the entertaining race report!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park Rss Feed