Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
82F / 28C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 06m 1s
Overall Rank = 534/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 23/
Pre-race routine:

IHOP, driving standard up some crazy hills, settling my nerves, uuhhhh.
Swim
  • 34m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was probably the most violent swim I've ever been in. Maybe because I am normally slower. We ran to the dock in the water because you could, but it never seemed to even out during the swim, it felt like everyone was trying to qualify for Kona, so they were going to swim over you and kick you in the face. Now this doesn't particularly bother me, because I don't want it to affect my race you just deal as the situation arises, but helloooooo. Swim forward not pushing people to the side especially if I'm passing you.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I thought it went really well overall.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

The wet suit strippers were amazing. I plopped on the ground, and they ripped it off in a split second.

Not have to go to the bathroom. Actually have a little urgency in moving through transition.
Bike
  • 3h 20m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Fueling was right on. Didn't get hungry until the end of the ride, but didn't bother me during the run. 5 Double Latte Power Bar Gels 2 serving Sustained Energy and 1 Brown Sugar Pop tart 1 Gatorade Endurance

Train More. Ha Ha.
Transition 2
  • 04m
Comments:

I don't know what I was doing, maybe taking a siesta. Put on socks for the run, tied my shoes because I forgot my quick ties, grabbed a gel. Put on a hat.

Not take the 3:00 nap. J/K
Run
  • 2h 04m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Gotta love the down hills especially on the way back. Pace rocked on the way out but slowed down significantly after mile 9. Legs tried to start cramping but talked them out of it. Then had to go to the bathroom. Went back and forth most of the race with this nice woman, but I finally let her go.

Train more. Again... Ha Ha.

They don't tell you that as a coach, you don't get to train as much. In fact half the time when your traveling you don't train at all unless you count running all over the race course.
Post race
Warm down:

Sitting in line for a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training

Event comments:

I think the way this course is run and the volunteers make it a top ranked triathlon in my book. Everyone is so friendly, even the competitors, despite the swim. This is the first time I stayed in the host hotel and that was cool, because the whole hotel was booked with triathletes and I actually got a good nights sleep before the race!

Last updated: 2008-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:01 | 2112 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: QR
Course: counter clockwise triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:20:43 | 56 miles | 16.74 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: I knew going out on the course within 2 miles that this was not going to be a PR bike day. The flat parts felt up hill because of the wind. The up hills were fine, all you could do was laugh at some of them. I tried to play conservative anyway, because I knew I hadn't done enough miles on the bike to justify. Luckily the day was cool, so I didn't have the heat and the wind to contend with. So many expensive sunglasses dropped on the side of the rode. I wanted to stop and pick them up. I had to look over the top of mine, because I couldn't see out of them, still stopped the wind though.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:04:34 | 13.1 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Hilly then flat then hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-01 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3

2008-07-01 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1502991

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
Nice job out there in tough conditions...I too was surprised at some of the contact on the swim.  Great race!
2008-07-01 9:22 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
nice race. glad you stood your ground in the swim and finished with a strong swim split. this is the first RR i have read where you went out for b-fast before a race. great job out there sunday!
2008-07-02 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Thanks for the support! I'm telling you IHOP is the way to go if your stomach can take it pre race. Pancakes, bacon, eggs and coffee. I get hungry and just cereal isn't enough. Besides eating at 3:30 and racing at 7am was plenty of time. I'm weird.

Happy Training!
Now I've got the racing bug again.
2008-07-04 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Looks like a great race to me.  I'm amused at your IHOP.  My favorite dinner the night before is French Toast Slam at Dennys.  Eggs, bacon, french toast and syrup.  Yum.  I missed it this race because I was staying with friends.  I never thought about trying it in the morning.

Congratulations on a great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed