San Francisco Frontrunners
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 47m 59s
Overall Rank = 47/248
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 2/27
Pre-race routine:

Drank water the day before...close to 64 oz. Glass of wine night before probably NOT the smartest move but hey, not an A race for me. Yogurt and cereal with a cup of coffee about 2 hrs. before the race. Did my "thang" and then drove over to the race...got there about 8:30, start time supposedly 9:00am.
Event warmup:

Just a little stretching. Stood around talking to some folks I know from flag football. They let the 5K'ers off first at 9:10 and the 10Kers off at 9:20, which was great, didn't have that stressful, gotta keep up feel of the two years ago when everyone started together ( I started too fast that time).
Run
  • 47m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

At about the 1 mile point after navigating around the crowds, I found someone just about my pace (7:55)and she didn't mind. Said it would keep her going at that pace, but when we were starting the 2nd loop, she slowed to get water...she said "you're on your own!". I said, AWW come on! It would have been fun to run together, but I took off and was feeling really good. Oddly strong and HR was staying right about 160 everytime I looked. Had to run by myself the rest of the way, and started to feel a little labored at about 4.5, but knew I was almost there, so kept the pace. When I saw the finish and I could break 48 minutes, I sprinted home. 5th woman overall and 2nd in my age group. There is a first time for everything! The woman I was running with for the first lap finished only 1:30 behind me, so waited to congratulate her.
What would you do differently?:

not much, it all came together for me today...no stomach cramps, no walking
those long slow runs really do help with the endurance
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, i had a hot dog and a sport drink. had to go to work soon after so I didn't even know I had placed in age group til I saw the results online. Darn.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running only 3 days a week is actually really good for me. I have had no return of pf and even though my speed and tempo runs are on the treadmill due to time constraints and the softer surface, I did get faster this season! Previous best 10K was probably 49+ about 8 years ago! More recently, I have not broken 50 min!

Event comments:

Fun race, well organized, definitely on my calender for next year.

Last updated: 2008-06-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:47:59 | 06.21 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/248
Performance: Good
Course: This run was two loops in Golden Gate Park and it was a great course. Starts on a downhill and then the uphills are sort of short and roll into slight declines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes