Canada
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 48s
Overall Rank = 8/96
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up at the crack of stupid and was feeling really crappy. Headache and weird stomach were welcoming me. I was kinda running late but took my time and stayed in the warm inviting shower for a while, it helped a bit with the headache. Drove to the race, it took about 1h15. Got to the site and got bodymarked, otherwise I couldn't get into the transition area. Got a good spot and started to put my stuff down slowly. I then decided to go for a little recognition lap just before the duathlon start. The volunteer let me on the course and I started pedaling, until I found a spot because I had to oui-oui. Got back on the bike and realized there was some serious headwind on some parts of the course. Just before arriving, at the end of the long stretch (where I would later ride at avg of 27-28mph), somebody asked me, not too gently, to get out of the bike course, which I slowly did. Yes, just to weewee him off. ;)
Event warmup:

1 slow loop around the course and then put my shoes on and went for a 10-15 minute slow run with a few accels.

15 minutes before the race, I made sure I had everything set up right (and my new thing, put vaseline in my shoes so I don't get blisters) I went to the pool for the athletes meeting. I swam for like 2-3 minutes, mainly to make sure my goggles weren't taking any water, which they didn't. I made sure NOT to touch them after putting my cap on top of it.
Swim
  • 13m 24s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

The minute the horn went off (very hypocritically by the way) I started to swim and the first thing I noticed was that my left eye had water up to 50% of the goggle! Doh. My plan before the race was to breath every 3 strokes for the first 2 laps and then increase the speed and breath each 2. The water-in-goggle thing changed the plan and I went right away with each 2, sadly. The first 50 yards were physical since everybody knew it would be jampack at the first buoy. I made sure to start up front and decided that faster people would overtake me instead of me doing the opposite with slower traffic. It wasn't that bad when we got there since the faster swimmers were ahead and the others were a bit behind.

A few people overtook me during the swim but not that much. I didn't feel powerful though and my upperbody was tired very quickly. I rounded the buoys quite "weirdly" getting IN the buoys a few times and got lucky it wasn't in concrete!
What would you do differently?:

Have a freaking face that fits with ANY kind of goggles!? I bought new ones the week before thinking it was an "old plastic" issue from my old ones but obviously that didn't solved the problem...

Swim more, and more.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was almost flawless, I would say. Very quick. Glasses on, helmet on and strapped, took off with bike. The flying mount was one of my best up to here and I wasn't feeling *too* dizzy this time.

Nothing
Bike
  • 37m 14s
  • 22.5 kms
  • 36.26 km/hr
Comments:

The bike course was technical with a 180 degree turn just at the end of the long stretch where I was coming in at 27-28mph and then right after there was a very tight S turn where we could end up in a curb if coming too fast or not agile enough.

I rode pretty hard and tried to focus on my breathing to try to eliminate the cramp issue from the previous race. At some point, I realized I was breathing very short and hard. I changed that for long and deep breaths and it seemed to help. One person overtook me , like a madman btw, but he was in the relay race so I didn't bother try to follow him. I overtook a lot of people and giving multiple "to your left". Pretty good bike leg but I wasn't sure I was taking the 180 turn optimally. It appeared from my cousin's comments that I was getting in pretty fast and getting out even faster. Ovetook a lot of people there, just before the turn, in the braking area.

Take my TT bike even if I rode it 2 times. I'm sure I could have been faster with the aero position and the wheels.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

The T2 entrance was a bit problematic since it was in the middle of the S and I didn't think before the race to notice where it was exactly. I should have. I got there a bit fast and didn't have enough time to get the velcro off properly and was forced to put a foot on the ground and then removing the 2nd shoe. Lost a few seconds there but nothing tragic though.

Get ready before the race and know where to dismount exactly!
Run
  • 18m 11s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 38s  min/km
Comments:

Got out of T2 just after 2 guys. Tried to follow both of them but 1 was faster and slowly went away. Grrrr. Stayed right behind the other for a long time. At some point, an after-shave-smelling runner passed me, which gave me a good clue that he was fresh, and "only running". I let him pass me and get side by side with the guy I was following. At some point, he slowed down, oh what a surprise, and I passed him. He didn't seem to like that, and he passed me again but wasn't getting faster. After 3 laps, I decided I would suffer for a last 4 minutes or so and got faster, passed smelly boy and got up right behind the other. At the last 180, almost 1km before the end, I gave everything left and never got a response from the 2 others, finishing more than 15 seconds before them.

Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

A freakin 40 minutes massage! :) (for 20$) Should I mention she forgot her watch and she didn't know how much time passed? LOL. I lended her an old watch I had in my bag, and I'll probably get it back soon. She's from Quebec and charges less than my actual masso and is a lot more available.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep and rest days before the race.

Event comments:

Would need more volunteers. I noticed a few people that didn't know where to go, and even some others cutting the course short and nobody noticed! But very cool, well-organized race in general!

Last updated: 2008-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:24 | 750 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 14/96
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Big 50 yard pool with 4 buoys in a rectangular shape.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:14 | 22.5 kms | 36.26 km/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 10/96
Wind: Some
Course: 2.5km course x 9
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:11 | 05 kms | 03m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 9/96
Course: 4 x 1.25km loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-02 12:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Subject: Triathlon sprint Trois-Rivières

2008-07-03 4:24 AM
in reply to: #1504353

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Triathlon sprint Trois-Rivières
Great race, Mr. Smokin' fast!  Congratulations on the hardware.
2008-07-03 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Awesome race!!!   2nd in AG .... whooo! 

I'm not a big fan of people that wear too much aftershave either.  It's funny that you labeled him "smelly boy." LOL

2008-07-03 8:32 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I'm impressed with you not taking any time in the transitions!
2008-07-03 8:48 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-03 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1505931

Veteran
Quebec city

I'm impressed with you not taking any time in the transitions!

I'll tell ya, I was flying!   They are hidden somewhere, T1 must be in the swimming time, which helps me think I wasn't THAT slow... 

2008-07-03 10:57 AM

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Very impressive...as if there were any doubts? Félicitations!

I really respect that you use strategy in your races - and know to "read" the signs - "fresh smelling guy". Very well done...you are my short course hero, you know!

Goggles? Have you tried a mask? I know they are ugly, but they cover your caveman forehead and eye sockets and it may be just what you need. Not Scuba masks, but swim specific ones.

Aussi, I am very impressed by how much your written English has improved...You have come a long way in one year, mon ami! And that was one of your goals, non! 

2008-07-03 9:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
you do not have a freeking face,you are goggle challenged   It was an honor to yell at root for you. You looked trilicious on the course EmbarassedLaughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon sprint Trois-Rivières Rss Feed