General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 51s
Overall Rank = 398/494
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 22/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45. Eat my normal breakfast of Cereal with berries and skim milk. Drove to the venue and got there around 5:30am. Transition was fairly open. I liked that our spots on the racks were designated by our race number. No fighting for location.
Event warmup:

Did the swim coarse at a slow relaxed pace about 20min prior to race start, an hour before my wave started.

Once the race started I headed away from the people crowding the staging area since I had a half hour or so before my wave got called. Went up the hill so see if wife and daughter had made it yet. Got talking to a dude about mountain biking and heard the announcer call the start for the wave before me. Had to hustle down the hill. Made it in time for my start.
Swim
  • 07m 28s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started on the beach. I pre swam the course for warm up, and was out in the area a couple days prior to the race. It was fairly shallow, about chest deep for 3/4s of the course, shallower the rest of the course. My swim went well, I didn't go out to hard which is my normal starting speed. I ended up mid pack, but all the people aquajogging were impossible to swim around so I started jogging, only for a few feet before noticing how tiring it was on the legs. I went back to swimming and just plowed my way through. My swim time was way faster then I was expecting. I've heard from some more experienced people that this event organizer does not always have the most accurate swim distances. I'm thinking it might be shorter then reported.

Couldn't see the lane lines so I wasn't very good at swimming in a straight line.

I was faster then my goal so I was happy with that.
What would you do differently?:

Start more towards the front to avoid the walkers. Not worry about plowing over walkers. Get better at swimming in a straight line.
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

I didn't feel this slow. I stopped to kiss the baby and I don't ming spending the time for that.

Move faster
Bike
  • 1h 13m 23s
  • 22 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I climbed the hill the week before the race which made it far less intimidating. I made it to the top with one gear to spare. After settling in I played YoYo with a few people. I could have pushed harder, I was saving some for the run, but I don't think it would have made a difference in my run performance. I was still faster then my goal so it was good.

Go harder
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Again, I didn't feel like it took me that long.

Move faster.
Run
  • 37m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a bad boy prior to the race and had not done any brick workouts. Going from the bike to the run was the first time I had ever done that. It was brutal. I could not get moving. Ended up running for 30second then walking for 30seconds up the big climb. Once up top I started getting into a grove. I made on crucial mistake. I got passed by a guy wearing a Twinkies jersey. I jokingly ask if he had any Twinkies. He pulls one out of his jersey pocket and hands it to me. I felt obligated to eat it. I got one bite down before I felt like I was going to puke. I tried pawning it off on a girl who was passing my, but she was way smarter then I. I stuffed the remaining twinkie in my jersey pocket. I'm not sure why I didn't just chuck it.

There were many Gu wrappers littering the trail. I figured since I was already slow, I might as well pick them up. I think I grabbed about 6.

I drank to much water/gatorade trying to get rid of the twinkie taste.

With all that, I must have been going along at a pretty decent clip for me. My overall time was way faster then I thought I was going to end up with.

It was all downhill into the finish. I kept my pace down because I had already almost crashed on the trail and didn't want to end up tumbling down the road. A couple hundred yards before the finish I let gravity work it's magic on me and really got cooking. I blew by some lady in the finish chute, and even remembered to zip up the jersey before the finish line guy took my picture. I'm a cyclist at heart and it is the proper thing to do.

Not eat the twinkie.

I had energy left. I felt like I could have kept running for a long time, but while I was running, there was no more speed in my legs.
Post race
Warm down:

Wondered around looking for my wife and daughter and trying to find the post race drinks. I managed to miss them right at the exit from the finish and took what seemed like for ever to find them.

Umm Fazoli's.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've got the endurance, not sure how to get more speed.

Event comments:

It was my first tri so I don't have much to go on.

Appreciated all the Tri Fox support.

Last updated: 2008-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:28 | 440 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/28
Overall: 0/494
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleevless Wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:23 | 22 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/28
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Big Climb right off the start then fairly flat with some long gentle hills then fast windy downhill through neighborhoods back to transition
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:37:27 | 03.11 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/28
Performance: Below average
Course: Up the same hill the bike course started on. then mostly dirt and wood chip cover trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-02 11:34 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Subject: High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » High Cliff Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed