Tucson Racing
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 52s
Overall Rank = 133/213
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/27
Pre-race routine:

Found out the swim portion was cancelled due to poor river quality in Ohio River. It was replaced by a 2 mile run duathlon. I was pretty bummed by this and kind of had a hard time getting psyched up for this race. Woke up and ate my usual oatmeal for breakfast. Drank a Diet Coke and water on the way down to the race. Ate a banana about 45 mins before race start and a GU 10 mins before race start.
Event warmup:

Light jogging for only about a quarter mile. Stretching.
Run
  • 15m 45s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Decided I would try to push the first run portion pretty hard since it was only two miles. I also decided to run without socks for the first time ever! This decision was based on a faster T1. I left bike shoes on pedals and didn't want to run through wet grass with socks on. It really wasn't a problem to run without socks. Just felt a little squishy.

Anyway, I probably pushed it a bit too hard because I really had a poor bike performance. The first run section was a bit boring with poor footing in areas and lots of debris... almost felt like an Xterra run.
What would you do differently?:

I would probably ease up a bit the last 1/4 or 1/2 mile to save my legs for the bike. There was a very steep hill in the first mile of the bike that killed me going up it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

This transition went very well. It appears to be one of the faster for the entire day. Shoes and hat off, helmet on, grab bike and go.

I didn't know the steep hill was shortly after T1, so in hindsight, I may have been better off take a few extra seconds to catch my breath.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 20s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 18.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Took me a bit to get my feet into my shoes. Not long after I did, I came upon the onramp to Columbia Pkwy which was absolutely brutal the first time around. I didn't have my bike legs under me yet and was still breathing heavy from transition. Felt like my lungs were gonna heave out of my chest.

After that I never really felt like I could push it very hard. It was like I was just going through the motions to get through the course... not really racing. I did a 12 mile run for Special Olympics on Wednesday, so my legs may still have been worn out from that. The second lap actually was a little better. I guess I started to get into the groove a bit. My lower back was starting to hurt quite a bit more than normal, so I had to get out of aero position at times to stretch.

On the bike I took two GU gels, about 2-3 bottles of water, 4 endurolytes, and two Tylenol.

Not really sure. I guess it has to do more with what I did the previous week.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Got out of my shoes while on the bike, hopped off and made good time to transition. Got my helmet off on the way and racked the bike. I decided to wear socks for the 10K run since it was longer and I hadn't practiced with it, so that took extra time. Socks on, shoes on, hat on on the way out.

I almost went sockless but decided it best not to since I hadn't practiced it. I think I'll give it a try for my next tri.
Run
  • 1h 00m 32s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off feeling pretty good actually, which was a surprise since I had such a poor bike. Started taking water at each aid station and dumped a little down my back. I took a bit of Gatorade at the turnaround which tasted very good. Made it to the stairs up to the bridge and had to walk up them. Walked a couple other times but not too much... just ran slow. Saw my Dad at the end of the first loop which is always a boost. I was enjoying myself and not overly stressing about a bad day or whatever. I took one gel on the run and never got around to taking the other one that I had planned on. When I got to the finish I was surprised I had a lot left in me for a strong finish. I should've started that awhile ago. They did announce my name and of course pronounced it wrong which is always a guarantee.

I'd just push harder and be a little bit mentally tougher.
Post race
Warm down:

Just did some walking around and chatting with my Dad. Did some light stretching as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I was lacking mental toughness for this race. It all started when the swim portion was cancelled on Saturday. Up until then I was really excited for this race and hoped it would stick around for years as the hometown triathlon. I just couldn't get into this race after that.

Event comments:

I found several flaws with this race to the point that I likely wouldn't do it again next year. They changed the run course about two weeks prior to the race without explanation. It was supposed to go up into downtown for one lap. Instead it just stayed in the park and went up those steep crappy stairs twice. It was also fairly expensive at $85 for early signup. I expected better for the price.

Last updated: 2008-05-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:45 | 02 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/27
Overall: 0/213
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops of a 1 mile course. Ran out next to the river, up some gravel and dirt, then back down the sidewalk.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:22:20 | 24.9 miles | 18.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/27
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: Bike course was two laps. You come out of TA right by GABP then up the crazy hill onramp to Columbia Pkwy. Columbia Pkwy is best described as long rolling hills or inclines. No real flat sections at all. Then it goes down to an out and back section on Mehring Way. The wind was very tough in some sections.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:00:32 | 06.2 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/27
Performance: Average
Course: The second run was a two lap out and back course through Sawyer Point park. Mostly flat until on the way back, you had to climb about 30 feet of stairs to get to the Purple People Bridge. A short out and back on the bridge then back to TA/finish area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes