General Discussion Triathlon Talk » iPod now allowed in White Rock Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-04 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: iPod now allowed in White Rock Marathon

Based on runner input, we have updated the guidelines on iPods and other audio devices and will no longer prohibit them. Since our course is a closed course during the term of the event, wearing an iPod WILL NOT result in disqualification in and by itself. If wearing an iPod or audio device results in you not hearing or obeying race instructions, you could be disqualified. We expect all participants to use good judgment and take responsibility for their actions should they wear an iPod or similar device during the race. We do ask that all participants be able to hear last minute instructions both at the start and finish lines, and that the ear buds be removed at these locations.

2008-07-04 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1508130

User image

Pro
Texas
Subject: RE: iPod now allowed in White Rock Marathon
A letter from WR Marathon, July 2012:

"Based on runner input, we have updated the guidelines again. We will no longer prohibit motorized scooters on the course, because screw it, the runners said they wanted it. We'd also like to announce our newest sponsor, The Rascal."
2008-07-04 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
TexOma - 2008-07-04 9:18 AM

Based on runner input, we have updated the guidelines on iPods and other audio devices and will no longer prohibit them. Since our course is a closed course during the term of the event, wearing an iPod WILL NOT result in disqualification in and by itself. If wearing an iPod or audio device results in you not hearing or obeying race instructions, you could be disqualified. We expect all participants to use good judgment and take responsibility for their actions should they wear an iPod or similar device during the race. We do ask that all participants be able to hear last minute instructions both at the start and finish lines, and that the ear buds be removed at these locations.

Fine with me. Its not like they have the manpower to enforce it. (other than ones and twos) Last time I ran it, there were several points when I looked around and found that I was the only one that didn't have one on.

I enjoy having them on longer runs, anway. People just need to pay attention when they wear them.

Kenny
2008-07-07 2:45 PM

User image

In an ironic twist...

A letter from WR Marathon, July 2013 reads:

"Due to the increased participation in these events, and the inability to get race warnings and instructions out to runners, volunteers, and race officials, all participants will be required to wear an electronic headphone device of your choosing.  This is for your safety folks.  Race officials will have electronic devices on the course that will "interrupt your broadcast" with important information to follow.  Any participant not adhering to this policy is subject to disqualification.  Thank you for your understanding."

2008-07-07 3:54 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Letter from the WR Marathon....July 2015...

"Due to recent complaints on the length of the run, the WR Marathon will now be the WR 1k. This should eleviate all further complaints. Also, you will be allowed to wear rollerblades and use other additional aids at the discresion of the RD, to include scooters (motoriezed or not), and vehicles. As always, Ipods and other electronic music devices will be legal....as long as there is no Celine Dion or ABBA in the rotation, if you are a guy. This is a direct violation of man law 12.54b.

Thanks for your understanding and let's have a good race"

2008-07-07 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
If anyone with an iPod isn't paying attention they may get run over and/or be wearing the iPod where it shouldn't be.

2008-07-07 7:06 PM
in reply to: #1512730

User image

Master
Sachse
smeador - 2008-07-07 4:12 PM

If anyone with an iPod isn't paying attention they may get run over and/or be wearing the iPod where it shouldn't be.

See.. I agree with this. Even though I wear one, I can still hear what is going on around me, unless they are whispering. If they do not pay attention.. oh well. On my last bike rally, I came up on a rider and I had been yelling on your left..for what felt like 10 minutes. NO response. I had to pass him on the right (I know).. when I got next to him, I pointed to his ear and gave him a WTF look. All he did was return the look. What a jack@$$
Kenny

Edited by Ten9T6 2008-07-07 7:07 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » iPod now allowed in White Rock Marathon Rss Feed