AutismSpeaks/
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 39m 25s
Overall Rank = 1221/1393
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 89/105
Pre-race routine:

Well, haven't done a race in over a year, so no real routine. Up, dressed, had a bagel & some gatorade. Cat was sacked out in the dining room, I tried to be quiet so he could keep sleeping. (How nice am I to my pets??) Didn't quite manage it and he comes stumbling out into the kitchen with this look that said, "You have GOT to be effing kidding me, do you know what time it is??" Pets are like their people! His tune changed when he got an early breakfast.

And off to the race. No traffic, and happily no problems with this little golf tournament down the street from the race - hosted by some guy named Tiger?

There'd been a nice rainstorm not too long before I got there - nice and cool and if we could keep the overcast, the conditions would be perfect.
Event warmup:

As of this morning, this race had raised over $192K for Autism research, and some of that from my fellow BT'ers - thanks!!

Got my number & chip and all that. Stretched for a while. They had a nice group warmup, I was over with the ne'er-do-wells wondering which is the better recovery drink, a mimosa or a bloody mary? Decided to go ahead and take my fuel belt, as I remembered that there was only one aid station and it was near mile 2, and knew I'd want a bit to drink before then.

Just before the start, the sun came out for a few minutes and everyone is saying, "Oh look, the sun, great!" and I'm thinking, "Oh NO, that's going to turn this whole place into a steambath!" Fortunately the sun went back behind the clouds before we started.

Looking around at the folks running, it is amazing how many people have a personal stake in this. Lots of teams that were running, homemade shirts with names of folks affected, families all running together. Given how much some of these families go through with kids with autism, to then go and fundraise and race - it's very inspiring.
Run
  • 39m 25s
  • 3.16 miles
  • 12m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a plan going into this - stick with my intervals so I wouldn't blow up, overheat, puke, etc, since I've only been back training for a touch over a month It was a good plan. It was a sensible plan.

And then the starting gun went off.

I know - plan your race, race your plan. But my plan was boring and it was much cooler than when I usually run, and I had two icepacks strapped to my femoral arteries (freezing those fuel bottles was a good idea!) - and it's hard to fight adrenaline, so why not just GO? :-D Despite this run being in a VERY spiffy neighborhood, I figured I couldn't be the first person that ever puked in a yard there.

And off we went. Figured I'd just run until I was thirsty or wanted to walk, then take a drink and run again, and it worked pretty well. I tried really hard to run at a comfortable pace as long as possible. (Which as weird as it sounds, it is really hard for me, since I really only have 3 speeds: running, walking and stopped.)

About 1/2 a mile in, there was a husband and wife in front of me - the husband looks back and asks, "Are you drafting off us?" *snort* I admitted that yes, yes I was - you need all advantages you can get, and we all got a good laugh out of that. Then we came upon some sprinklers and the wife & I went through them like a couple of kids on a sugar high, with the husband looking at us as if we'd both lost our minds. Is it ever really too early in a race to go through the sprinklers?

A bit later I came very close to showing a fellow runner what merits a 5 minute major penalty, and then taking her kid home with me. Let's just say I really, REALLY don't like it when adults start berating kids during these events. There is a big difference between encouragement and helpful tips and being a twit who makes a kid never see the potential for fun in these things.

Mile 1, I'm at a 11:43 pace. I know this is too fast. I know I will probably regret it later. I don't care, I'm having a good time.

Little past that I manage to scare the bejeezus out of a little kid walking along - leaned over and told him he was doing an awesome job and all of a sudden he took off like a rocket. Great, I'm the stranger talking to kids... Caught up with his Mom/chaperone (she was chasing 3 little ones on the course) and told her I didn't mean to scare him - she said no worries, they were all doing the "sprint like a banshee and then walk" routine and she was sure it was nothing I'd said.

Not too terribly long after that, I hear the Mom/chaperone say something to the effect of, "I think we missed the turn" (for the 1 mile walk route) - told her they were in fact still on the 5K course, and they'd already gone 1.5 miles. She seemed pleasantly surprised, and I'm sure the kids were probably ready to relax and walk and know they'd done their distance and then some.

Then things started to get a little more hilly. Not horrible, but hills nonetheless. I did manage to get a "you're going too fast!" alert from my Garmin - HAHAHAHAHA!!! - as I'm flying down a hill and just about to get to the bottom of it. I didn't worry too much as there was a nice uphill right after that which would take care of that pace problem.

Still feeling good, but slowing down - figure I'll walk the uphills, run the downhills, and try not to barf on the flats. It turned out to be a perfectly fine approach to things.

Average pace at mile 2 is 12:12 - more reasonable, but still much faster than I'd anticipated for today. Finally hit the aid station and I get my water and dump it on my head and down my shirt. I felt a little bad about turning this nice family charity event into a wet t-shirt contest, but I am sure I wasn't the only one, and WOW it felt good.

Around 2.5 miles that is the LOVELY lady who put her sprinklers on in her yard so they would go out into the street for the runners. I know I said thanks as I ran by, but she might not have heard it, so THANK YOU AGAIN NICE LADY!!!!!

The last .6 miles starts mainly flat, followed by the BEST finish section you could ever ask for - all downhill. I remembered the last turn that becomes the downhill from year before last and it's so very, very easy to just let it unroll and let gravity take over. Gotta love that.

I'm coming down the hill, so happy I'm almost done and I notice it's just a little too quiet... So, me being me, I yell at the top of my lungs, "Make some noise for us slow folks! We need it as much as anyone else!" Well, it worked and the crowd of folks I finished with got a very nice welcome into the chute.

Woohoo!
What would you do differently?:

Finished with a 12:28 pace, and considering that my "serious stretch" pace was 12:33, I'm pretty pleased!!
Post race
Warm down:

Stumble through chute, get a bottle of water, dump half of it on my head and down my shirt. Get some July 4th beads, ask if I have to flash anyone for them. Parents, if your kids are asking, "Hey, what's flashing?", um, yeah, sorry about that.

Stretched a bit, walked about and grabbed some pizza. Post race, bagels taste like sawdust to me. But a good greasy slice of cheese pizza? Perfect. Then off to Bob Evans to continue the calorie-fest.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably the fact that I only started training again about a month ago...

Event comments:

Done it before and will do it again. Definitely would recommend to anyone!

Last updated: 2008-06-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:25 | 03.16 miles | 12m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/105
Overall: 0/1393
Performance: Good
Distance is off my Garmin and I am taking it! Mile 1: 11 43/60 Mile 2: 12 40/60 Mile 3: 13 16/60 last .16: 1 38/60
Course: Really nice older neighborhood, all residential and no traffic issues. Lots of trees and shade, some hills - nothing really bad. Pretty houses to look at along the way.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-04 11:04 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: Potomac 5K for AutismSpeaks

2008-07-04 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1508249

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Potomac 5K for AutismSpeaks

Hey Cindy,

It's good to see you back racing again.  As always an interesting race report and I love the way you interact with the people on the course.  Congrats on beating your goal time.

Ernie

2008-07-04 4:06 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-05 1:24 PM

Master
Canandaigua

It's alway time to run through sprinklers!!  Great job on your first race back at it.  One of the great things about reading your race report is you make us remember why we run.  The enjoyment and socialization.  You should be very happy with it.  When is the next one. 

Yoshi came out and ran yesterday too.  She did great for little training she does.  No RR though. Thanks for stopping by mine.  M-daddy is making me a runner one way or the other. 

I hear you with the over zealous parents.  Come on like the kid is going to take first place shut up and walk.  If the kid wants to look at a butterfly LET THEM!!  Luckily I haven't seen any lately. 

2008-07-05 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1509355

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
dexter - 2008-07-05 2:24 PM

It's alway time to run through sprinklers!!  Great job on your first race back at it.  One of the great things about reading your race report is you make us remember why we run.  The enjoyment and socialization.  You should be very happy with it.  When is the next one. 

Next one is an evening 5K on 8/23 if I am in town - should be fun.

Yoshi came out and ran yesterday too.  She did great for little training she does.  No RR though. Thanks for stopping by mine.  M-daddy is making me a runner one way or the other. 

M-daddy can do that to anyone.

I hear you with the over zealous parents.  Come on like the kid is going to take first place shut up and walk.  If the kid wants to look at a butterfly LET THEM!!  Luckily I haven't seen any lately. 

I KNOW!  Let 'em walk, look at butterflies, stop to pick up a caterpillar, whatever.  Get them to see that it can be FUN and they'll keep doing it.  Make them miserable and they'll never want to come out for an event again.

2008-07-06 8:21 AM

Champion
MA

Great job and glad you enjoyed the race!

It is weird when the crowd is quiet but glad you were able to get them to make some noise.

Very great description of the race..keep on enjoying this..it is fun! 

2008-07-06 6:36 PM

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Nice job on the race.  I'm glad that you're out there and doing well.  Congrad on the race with a purpose.

You hit one of my nerves.  I'm amazed at what parents will do/say to their kids during sporting events.  I effing hate Little League which is the worst.  We have had coaches get into fights, parents yell at other parents.  Nice.  My favorite this year was watching a new swim parent berate their child saying "you really are not that good.  your stroke is very weak and you won't get better unless you improve and listen to the coach."  The 5 year old girl broke into tears....  And this dad looks like he has not worked out in about 2 decades (other than 12 oz beer curls).  I had to walk away. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Potomac 5K for AutismSpeaks Rss Feed