General Discussion Race Reports! » First Annual July 4th Triathlon - @$$ kickin PR!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

First Annual July 4th Triathlon - @$$ kickin PR!! - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coconut Creek, Florida
United States
multirace.com
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clyde 225+
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

I was a little worried about getting up on time since my biological clock is on "summer time teacher" mode (asleep at 2am, up at 9am). I angled a floor lamp to shine right on my face and hooked it up to an automatic timer set at 4am just to be sure! As it turns out, I was able to get up with the alarm only and avoided the light in face idea. Whatever works! Coffee and a clif bar while making the 45 min. drive to the venue. Had no idea what to expect since just 2 weeks ago I had the worst race of my career. Although my training improved a little over the past week, I did not feel I was near to being in good form.
Event warmup:

I have always struggled in this lake for some reason; prolly mental. Since it's a point to point swim across the lake, this morning I decided that my pre-race warm up would be to swim it from the finish to the starting line. Would soon turn out to be a GREAT decision.
Swim
  • 09m 2s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

As soon as the gun went off, I felt so comfortable swimming and had the swim of my life. Perfectly easy and smooth with no problems at all. Exited the water and did not even breathe heavy with no HR spike. A great swim. Chalking this up to the pre-race swim and will definitely do it again on this course.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Since I felt fresh out of the water, I zipped thru T1 not needing the extra minute to get my HR down.
Bike
  • 29m 34s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.29 mile/hr
Comments:

FINALLY!!! After 2 years I broke 20 mph avg. for a race! Whoop whoop! Legs felt great and my HR stayed in check with no real spikes. At the 1 mile mark, saw a competitor in my AG who I knew averaged 21 and stayed on his tail keeping within a coule hundred yards the whole race. Fastest 10 miles ever, even in training. Considering the mount and dismount and all those 90 deg. turns, to keep the average over 20 is simply HAULING ASS! Not too shabby for this 250 pounder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Feeling in a zone and was able to RUN through transition AND put on socks. Fast T2 considering.
Run
  • 26m 47s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

2 weeks ago I bonked at the 1/2 mile mark and ended up walking. Today I just wanted to keep going as I knew I was on pace for a really fast time. Legs felt a little heavy coming off my bike performance, but I felt OK and was able to push through. No endurance issues here. I felt a little faster than my time showed and only stopped at the 1.25 mark for water. Nonetheless, I was so happy to finish it at my usual training pace and generally felt real good on the run.
What would you do differently?:

Here's where the 250 pounds limits me!
Post race
Warm down:

Water and Accelerade.

Event comments:

My dream race here has been 1:10 for quite awhile. I went sub 1:08! I outperformed my best expectations and ended up with some hardware to boot. This does alot to boost my confidence and hopefully closes that nasty 6 week chapter in my life where my training and endurance were out the window. On top of that, I am now in the lead in points for the South Florida series. 3 down, 3 to go to reach my ultimate goal of winning the series in my AG.

Last updated: 2008-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:02 | 437 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca T-back
Course: Point to point across a lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:07
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:34 | 10 miles | 20.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/7
Wind:
Course: 2 loops on a somewhat technical course. I say "technical" because of the number of racers on a short course and there were alot of 90 degree turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:47 | 02.5 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/7
Performance: Average
Course: One loop around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-04 4:53 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: First Annual July 4th Triathlon - @$$ kickin PR!!

2008-07-04 6:15 PM
in reply to: #1508583

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: First Annual July 4th Triathlon - @$$ kickin PR!!
A nice HELL YEAH for the PR! Great Race!
2008-07-05 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Florida!
nice PR! the bike was definitely technical, and a hair crowded. next time the race director is running the tri and the due together he's not going to start the du earlier, that should help.
2008-07-05 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
whoohooo! good to see that one on the books! I'm glad you broke through and had an awesome race!!!!!!!!!
2008-07-05 11:53 AM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Congratulation BS...!!!

Great Race and Race Report...!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » First Annual July 4th Triathlon - @$$ kickin PR!! Rss Feed