United States
Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 888/1300
Age Group = 36-39
Age Group Rank = 41/41
Pre-race routine:

Well arrived into Lubbock on the day before - Saturday. I picked up my packet, only to find the silly girl never gave me my numbers.
I went back, picked the numbers and settled my heart rate.
Went over the course with my coach - since bimbo caused me to lose time going back to the hotel instead of the park to drive the bike portion of the course.
Event warmup:

Ate breakfast - dropped the second egg into a Prairie dog hole, I couldn't eat it and didn't want to leave it in my vehicle.
Put my bike and stuff off to he side, used the bathroom.
Setup transition - doggone it had to use the bathroom again.
Started putting on wetsuit - well I'll be - I had to use the bathroom AGAIN!!! Now I am trying not to panic, but they are talking about tn minutes left to close transition and the bathroom line is ridiculously long.
Finally I head over to the lake - with help getting down the hill. Last thing I wanted was to injure my foot before the race.
I had someone help me zip up and went into the water to feel it out get some strokes in and just relax.
Swim
  • 46m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well this was the first time I came out of a swim and my bike was NOT the last one on the rack. (Hey you try to give yourself kudos anywhere you can)
What would you do differently?:

Not much else - still working on my swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 20s
Comments:

I actually had someone drafting off me for a while - a bit weird, but a bit of an ego booster too - swimming is getting better.
Okay so I set my sandals down to have for going into T1 - I didn't need them since it was carpeted most of the way. My foot is still really tender, and didn't want to take a chance.
it took me a few seconds to get my bearings straight and run over to my sandals.
But - it's okay - better safe than sorry.

Not too much - first half.
Bike
  • 4h 23m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 12.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay - so I knooooow we cannot help the conditions. But this is the portion where I REALLY hoped to shine. The weather and two flats made the bike part just argh. I watched people wipe out on simple turned, the hills were hell, and I fought mentally through it all. Mile 45 I got a blazin flat. I changed it and couldn't get the CO2 to work, so I tried to inflate it with the pump. That didn't work and had to wait for the roadside assistance. They pumped up the tire and I headed out and oh crap another flat. I FORGOT to check the tire. A small rock shard had poked in and stuck. The guys fixed it and sent me on my way. I kept from crying - you wouldn't have been able to tell if I was due to all the rain anyway. Made it up that laaaaaaaast grueling hill, and into T2.

Not much else to do different - except have a tri-bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

uhm - there was a wetsuit right in my area on the rack- didn't want to do it but I needed to rack my bike so I put it right on the wetsuit. Wasn't mine - I knew better.

Not much - maybe see EXACLTY where you are supposed to take your bike, but uhh I went the way I practiced
Run
  • 3h 18m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Well - okay so as you can probably see with the pace - I DIDN'T run. I walked it - well more like power walked it. After Mile 3. My foot was really tender coming in off the bike, and I did NOT want to return to the cast or create more stresses for my foot. (For those of you who didn't know I broke my foot at the end of Feb and had to miss the Athens tri. I'll see the doctor this Thursday for a sanity checkup on the foot)
This was the longest freakin walk I have ever done, but nonetheless - did it. I refused to let all the mental demons who I eluded during the bike, take me down out there.

Run of course - which will happen when the foot is totally healed.
Post race
Warm down:

Well I was the last survivor to cross the finish line.
I er-uhh teared up a bit.
Drank water and gatorade and then just sat still for a few. would have loved a massage, but it's all good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited - interesting word. well I guess with still recovering from a broken foot- I culd have gone out there and tore it up more. But I decided to er on the side of caution, yet remain determined to finish.

Event comments:

It is a challenge - one to which I plan to face again in the near future.
Maybe this time with a friend of family waiting for me - BTW Thank Debbie, Kai and Coach Gerald for waiting for me at the finish line. There are times being a loner really sucks, but you were there for me at the one place it mattered.

Last updated: 2008-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:24 | 2112 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 870/1300
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Uhm a weird loop with an extra buoy that we all started swimming towards - come to find out later - it was for the sprinters.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:20
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:23:52 | 56 miles | 12.73 mile/hr
Overall: 897/1300
Nope
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back - kinda. wonderfully hellish hill right out of transition, another down the way, the spiral staircases were - Spirally and steep, and uhm - let's just say VERY challenging.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:18:36 | 13.1 miles | 15m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 880/1300
Performance: Below average
Course: Out & Back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-06 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX
Subject: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3

2008-07-06 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1510112

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
Great job, especially dealing with the weather and the foot!  Great to see you last night
2008-07-06 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1510231

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3

Thanks, sometimes reading the other races reports are as inspiring as they are intimidating.  But I finished.

Have a great week.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed