United States
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 10m 52s
Overall Rank = 29/335
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/22
Pre-race routine:

so, last year i was midway into training for a HIM tri in august. this year with a new little girl running around, i've just been trying to get out the door to do something.
the boss was nice enough to let me out of the house and race. i kissed the girls goodbye and went down to gladbrook to have some fun.
Event warmup:

i probablly should have ridden around on my bike to check it out, but i got it all fixed in with the water, nutrition, and rubber bands and didn't want to move it.
so instead, i ran around a bit, checked my heat, and went to swim a little.
Swim
  • 06m 28s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

75°? wetsuit legal? BWA HA HA HA!!!! time to try out my birthday present! since i'm in the first heat with my pretty pink cap, i could be first out of the...oh, wait, there's eagleman champ and 2nd place finisher at IMAZ tj tollakson. oh, and he brought a friend too. stewart? where are you from? oh, wait, it says that on your suit, great britian, huh? thanks for bringing friends tj ;) (no really, tj is a great guy)
oh well, let's do this. gun went off and i started swimming. first half felt pretty good, the second was a little rough. could be that i'm only training a mile at a time, but that's all i have time for these days.
just kept on keeping on and soon i was hitting the beach. didn't hit the watch so i had no idea as to the split.
last year = 7:02, thanks wetsuit!
What would you do differently?:

swim a little more into the beach. save a little for the end.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

wetsuit added some time here, about 13 seconds from last year. meh.

did okay, i'm happy with it.
Bike
  • 40m 29s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.75 mile/hr
Comments:

hey, rubber bands worked alright this year! woot woot!
i was a little nervous about the bike. there was a killer headwind on the way back (which meant a good tail on the way out!) and i haven't had as much saddle time as i did last year. i just didn't want to collapse at the side of the road.
went around the lake and did the mother hill out of the saddle. remarked "i'm going to pay for that later" as i went over the top. tried to take it nice and easy on the way out so i could have something at the end.
tj had trouble with his bike and i passed him as he pulled over to fix it. a small bit of satisfaction because i was "beating him" but mile 5 he passed me like i was standing still.
came into town feeling good and started heading back where the wind was slowing me to a crawl. after a couple bikes passed me i started checking calves. those 35 year olds can really motor! with about three miles to go, i saw a 25 year old calf. let's keep and eye on him.
rolled back into the park and got out of the shoes with little trouble.
last year = 38:55
really, the wind could have explained the 1:30 gain.

i felt pretty good after the bike, perhaps a little too good. maybe next time i will go a little faster.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

and so i thought, why not just grab the hat and belt and put them on as i go?
last year = 0:57

nothing, that worked like a charm.
Run
  • 21m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

okay, so we saved a little somethin' somethin' for the run and we...yes, we just passed mr. #25 as he was chillin' in transistion. all we need to do now is just run your race and whatever happens will happen.
took the first mile easy which included the hill. yikes, that was long. passed one guy and that made me feel good vs the 5 30-40 year olds that passed me.
started to cramp up and thoughts turned from destroying the run to surviving the run. i just got to lock in that mind set before the race and not count on being able to jump in once i'm there.
i could hear mr. #25 coming for me. heard people cheering for him too. the last half mile i started to pick it up but it didn't last for long. just before the last turn i heard a lady yell, "way to go, you guys are right together." so, i'm going to let you sit back there the whole way and run past me right at the end? no, no thank you. and i threw my body across the finish.
last year = 22:19 (sweet!)

focus mentally on the run before the race and have the plan to nail it.
Post race
Warm down:

lookie lookie! only gained about 20 seconds and almost all of that was because the bike! went faster in the swim and the run!
swam the lake course and then rode the run course to check the mile markers. yeah, they were off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training time, but the main goal was to not lose everything this summer. i think this race went pretty well and if it wasn't so windy, perhaps it would have been a new pr.

Event comments:

i like this race. good orgainization, helpful people, great post race food, and the course isn't a walk in the park.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:28 | 547 yards | 01m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/22
Overall: 3/335
Performance: Good
Suit: pro-motion
Course: beach start with out and back bouys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:29 | 14 miles | 20.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/22
Overall: 68/335
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: out of the park to gladbrook and back. several rolling hills with a big mother at the side of the park.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:38 | 03.11 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/22
Overall: 43/335
Performance: Average
Course: 5k loop around the park with several rolling hills including the mother. second time to be humbled.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-06 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
Subject: Cornman Triathlon

2008-07-06 9:58 PM
in reply to: #1510833

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
Subject: RE: Cornman Triathlon
 rocking fast swim , bike and run... holy crap your fast in the water..  you beat 2nd place TJ.. so when are you signing up for IMAZ ?    can you explain to the rookie what rubber bands are about.. and the comment about calfs... Im guess thats the calf right above the pedals and not the calfs in the pasture...  Nice plaque.. dont let the little one upchuck on it now.. AWSOME RACE dude... ur a natural!
2008-07-07 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1510927

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa

rabkaman - 2008-07-06 9:58 PM  rocking fast swim , bike and run... holy crap your fast in the water..  you beat 2nd place TJ.. so when are you signing up for IMAZ ?    can you explain to the rookie what rubber bands are about.. and the comment about calfs... Im guess thats the calf right above the pedals and not the calfs in the pasture...  Nice plaque.. dont let the little one upchuck on it now.. AWSOME RACE dude... ur a natural!

oh no, i didn't beat him at all.  i was ahead of him on the bike for a few miles since he had to stop to fix his bike.  then he rocketed past me once he got that fixed.

the rubber bands hold your clipless shoes parallel with the ground so the shoes are not dragging on the ground and are ready for you to jump on them.  there is a video on this site somewhere.....

yes, this race they throw your age on your calf so you can see how old the person kicking your a$$ is.

2008-07-07 9:50 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Dang!  A hardware performance on your 'return' to triathlon. 

Congrats on the AG win!  And you don't have to mention the fact that TJ's had a bike problem.  Just note, 'passed TJ on the bike'. 

That plaque is nice, but perhaps real corn might be more valuable these days.

2008-07-07 11:08 AM

User image

Elite
I don't think TJ had any problems.  He just heard Noz coming and wanted an excuse for being passed.  Great job out there.  Speedy stuff.
2008-07-07 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
woo woo, great job! looks like you've still got your base fitness and not all is lost. hell of a good performance out there dude. and way to keep that guy behind you on the run!

2008-07-07 10:05 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Holy smokes!!!!!  Third OA on the swim and speedy quick bike and run splits, too?!  You rocked it.  Congratulations.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cornman Triathlon Rss Feed