RunFAR Racing Services
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 10s
Overall Rank = 66/117
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Very first DU and it was a very bad start to the day (but it got better!). Was trying to leave the house around 5am. Got everything ready the night before and started to get everything moved to my truck around 430a. Went to air up my tires. Valve stem on my front tire snapped off. Had to then replace the tube. Put it in and started to air it up. It wouldn't hold air. Pulled it back out and located 2 holes in it. Then tried to patch them b/c that was my last spare. Holes were too big and the patch wouldn't work. Decided that my only hope was to either take my mountain bike and ride it or take my chances and try to buy/borrow one from someone at the race. I went with the latter. Finally left the house around 520a. About 20min later, realized that I had left both my gatorade and water in the freezer, so I had nothing to drink for the bike leg. Ended up stopping and buying a bottle of water with a sports top spout. Got to the race, and luckily met up with a few people I knew and was able to borrow a spare tube. Whew...what a morning.
Event warmup:

Hahahaha...got in some light stretching and a quick run to the bathroom!
Run
  • 25m 34s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Good first run for me. Sad thing is, a good run for me was a pretty bad run for everyone else. I thought my 8:30 pace was pretty good but was towards the rear of the pack. I felt good though and didn't push it quite as hard as I could of. Was told by a lot of people to save some for the 2nd run, which would be a lot harder (and boy was it!).
What would you do differently?:

Just keep working on getting faster in the runs. I have been bringing my times down. Less than 6mo ago I was running over a 10min/mi pace.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I was very pleased with my transition time here. Still trying to get used to my new pedals and shoes.

Practice more on clipping in with my new pedals.
Bike
  • 53m 34s
  • 17 miles
  • 19.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike leg went very well. Road was rougher and hillier than I expected. Due to my earlier tire problems, I ended up moving the computer sensor on the wheel by accident so I was not able to see my speeds or any info while riding. I was only passed by 1 person (but all the fast runners and bike riders were way ahead of me due to my slow first run). But all in all, I felt really good and kept praying the whole ride that I would not have any more bike problems.

Continue to work on bike speed and buy like 100 spare tubes!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Tried to get fancy and pull my feet out of the shoes while heading to the dismount line. Pulled my left foot out too far, pedal spun down, shoe hit the ground, shoe decided to go flying off the pedal. Had to turn around on the bike and pick up the shoe, then rode to the line with one foot in the shoe and one w/o the shoe (all while holding the left shoe in my hand while trying to steer and brake!). Dismount was a little rough, and probably lost 30-60sec on the bike, but once in the transition area it went well. Could've been a little quicker, b/c when bending over to pull my shoe on one quad briefly cramped up and had to take a few sec to work it out.

Continue to work on the dismount. Work on stretching and loosening my legs a little bit more while still on the bike so they are more ready for the run.
Run
  • 27m 58s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

This one was rough. Got 2 side stitches only about 100m into the run. No matter what I tried (short of walking) I could not get rid of them. Have never experienced that much pain before while running, but told myself I was not going to stop and walk. Fought through it, and it seemed to get better around mile 2 but never fully went away until the race was over. My goal was to finish the race in 1:50 and I was keeping very close tabs on my watch and pushed myself just enough to finish under that time. Made it by 50sec. Overall for me the 9:19 pace on the 2nd 3mi was faster than I felt like I was going.

Try to figure out why I am getting these side stitches. Also happened in my last TRI on the run. Continue to just build up speed and endurance in the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Some light stretching, drinking some gatorade, and eating some watermelon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My running still needs work.

Event comments:

Good overall race. Course was well laid out and the run was nice and flat and shaded. This was probably the toughest mental race I have ever done. It was harder than my first TRI. Especially having to fight through the side stitches. Post race was nice, with plenty of drinks and lots of breakfast tacos. I would do this race again.

Last updated: 2008-06-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:34 | 03 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 80/117
Performance: Good
Course: 2 1.5mi loops around a park. Trail consisted of cement, crushed granite, and field. The field part was tough, b/c I really had to watch where I was stepping so I wouldn't roll an ankle.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:53:34 | 17 miles | 19.04 mile/hr
Overall: 53/117
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps on an 8.5mi course. Fairly hilly course. The roads were very rough except for about a 2mi stretch of newly paved highway frontage road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:58 | 03 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 80/117
Performance: Below average
Course: The same route as the first 3mi.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-07 2:37 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Howdy Du

2008-07-07 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1511076

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: Howdy Du
Wow.  All those issues and you still managed to have a pretty awesome race!  I'm impressed.  Nice job!
2008-07-08 10:02 PM
in reply to: #1511076

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Nice job out there. If you can still manage to have a good race with all those issues, the next one should be a breeze!
2008-07-11 4:29 AM
in reply to: #1516164

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Thanks guys!  Yeah, overall I can not really complain with how the race turned out.  Just live and learn and get ready for the next one!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Howdy Du Rss Feed