Pinawa, Manitoba
Canada
16F / -9C
Total Time = 1h 34m 6s
Overall Rank = /191
Age Group = 34 - 39
Age Group Rank = 11/11
Pre-race routine:

We stayed out at my parents place on Lee River. I woke up at 5:30 ate some cereal and had a cup of coffee.
Event warmup:

I put the bike together and rode the run course...a little yappy dog chased me for a block! Nice to get a sprint in!!
Swim
  • 19m 31s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

I spoke with an older fellow as I was looking at the swim course, as it turns out he was the fellow who sets the buoys out. He was telling me that the water level was very high this year and as a result the current was stronger than usual. He gave me some great advice on what to sight as I swim. THANK YOU old guy!! I was a sighting machine...every time I would look I was bang on course. I had people criss crossing in front of me all over the place.

My swim was awesome. I was relaxed. I entered the water behind everyone. I was actually passing people at my slow relaxed pace! I tried to stay by myself so that I would not get kicked. The opening leg was against the current...so in hindsight if I had attempted to draft I may have been quicker. ALTHOUGH...quick was not my goal for my first OWS tri. Oh ya and I was not the last one out of the water!!!!!

I am really proud of the fact that I did not panic...I have read a lot of stories etc where people freak out when they are in open water. I just kept plodding along...and no resuce boats needed to hover over me!!;)
What would you do differently?:

Maybe try to draft? But overall I was very happy with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was really wobbly when I finished the swim...something I hope I'll get used to!!

I took my time and enjoyed the experience of a T1 striping out of a wet suit for the first time. I had no troubles at all.
Bike
  • 45m 39s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.29 km/hr
Comments:

There was a pretty good head wind for the first 10K...I just kept my leg turnover comfortable and stayed on the aero bars. I passed about 10 people on the way out. At the turn there was a nice little tailwind and I put the "jets" on. I caught a couple of other people on the way back. Good ride for me. I drank 1 bottle of gatorade.

Not much, I feel this was a good ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I used my new Mizuno shoes and I did not double knot the laces. I would have to stop briefly after about 1.5K to retie them.

I put socks on for the run, that went very well. (thanks to a tip from one of the BT videos on transitions!!)

Hurry a little more! ;)
Run
  • 28m 54s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 47s  min/km
Comments:

Started out at a comfortable pace and watched all the "elite" runners blow by me as they usually do! I had to pause to retie my shoes after about 1.5K. Enjoyed waving and saying "HI" to some of the locals who were sitting on their front steps with coffee watching the fitness freaks run by!

I sped up on the last KM and "sprinted" to the finish...it was a sprint distance race after all!!

Tie my shoes better...I did not have to double knot my old shoes and I have tried the bungy laces...didn't like them.
Post race
Warm down:

A little walk around. Collected all my stuff from the transition area loaded the van.

Ate my meal (hot dog and a burger with a little potato salad) looked at the silent auction stuff...then left!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The grand piano I strapped to my ass! I consider myself in the category of Triathlete that inspires couch potatoes...I am not fast, I'm not gifted with talent...but I have endurance and I give everyone on course a smile and when ever required a hi 5! I make those who don't tri think that if that guy could do it...so could I...and that is great!

I am uber proud of my accomplishments in this sport in the short time I've been into it. I have many people to thank, mostly from the BT community...you guys know who you are!!!

Event comments:

I had fun and will be back next year!

Last updated: 2008-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:31 | 750 meters | 02m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/11
Overall: 0/191
Performance:
Suit: YES!
Course: Square course against the current to start then on the left side, then down current finishing with a side current off the right side.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 18F / -8C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:39 | 20 kms | 26.29 km/hr
Age Group: 10/11
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out and back.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:54 | 05 kms | 05m 47s  min/km
Age Group: 11/11
Performance:
Course: looped around the residential area. nice course!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-07 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Free Spirit Triathlon

2008-07-07 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1511229

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Free Spirit Triathlon
Welcome to the family of Triathletes. We tend to meet on Sundays during the summer months

Great race!

So are you going to share those "swim course secrets" with me?
2008-07-08 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1511229

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Free Spirit Triathlon

WTG!!!

Great race and how awesome you did on the swim! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Free Spirit Triathlon Rss Feed